No Budget Orchestra Plugins: Official release

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: No Budget Orchestra Plugins: Official release

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Impostor wrote:

I opted for single user installation, but apparently, since I need to run the installer with sudo, things get installed into the /root folder

Even if you do a local install, the software uses shared libraries, which must be copied to a path that the operating system searches. The linux standard for 3rd party apps is /usr/share/lib and in general, /usr/share.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:14 am
Impostor wrote:

I opted for single user installation, but apparently, since I need to run the installer with sudo, things get installed into the /root folder

Even if you do a local install, the software uses shared libraries, which must be copied to a path that the operating system searches. The linux standard for 3rd party apps is /usr/share/lib and in general, /usr/share.

Yes, but what should go into the /home/user/... folder actually goes into the /root/... folder. No problem: I moved everything, and (seemingly) all plugins are recognized in MusE, and make sound.

Only, using the GUI's to change anything, or even clicking on the Master tab, leads to a crash.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Impostor wrote:

what should go into the /home/user/... folder actually goes into the /root/... folder.

I'll have to check that.

No doubt a bug in the installer.

Impostor wrote:

the GUI's leads to a crash in Muse

Yeah, I noticed that just recently, and I'm looking into it.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Rick_Bass gives no sound. First it complained about scrap_1.cmp not existing. So I renamed scrapn.cmp to scrap_n.cmp. Now it complains about sample rates not matching (I only installed the 48kHz files).

No sound for Grand_Piano: 0_A_1.cmp does not exist. (I only have octaves 4-->8 samples)

Last edited by Impostor on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Also, the panning is inverted for all plugins.

Default panning is often off-center after loading the plugin. (jiggling MusE's midi panning in the control strip resets it)

For Picked_Bass, I need to set panning value to around +27 for a centered sound, though that depends on the note. The highest notes have a very different panning from the lower notes.

For Solo_Oboe, the first octave has a panning offset w.r.t. the higher octaves.

Last edited by Impostor on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Solo_Cello gives /pizzicato/3_A.cmp sample rate matching error.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:11 pm
Impostor wrote:

what should go into the /home/user/... folder actually goes into the /root/... folder.

I'll have to check that.
No doubt a bug in the installer.

When I run

Code: Select all

$ sudo echo $HOME

it returns /home/user.

But if I run the script

#!/bin/bash
echo $HOME

with

$ sudo ./script.sh

it returns /root.

You could replace any occurrence of $HOME with /home/$SUDO_USER for single user installations. But now you'll get root-owned folders in /home/user, so they need to be chowned.

Last edited by Impostor on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

By the way, I'd prefer the ~/NoBudget/ samples folder to be placed inside ~/.local/share/ instead. Now I have yet another ugly big symlink in ~/.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Impostor wrote:

Rick_Bass gives no sound. First it complained about scrap_1.cmp not existing.

Right. It was misnamed in the zip file. I'll fix that in an update.

about sample rates not matching

Fixed in an update.

Default panning is often off-center after loading the plugin.

The default panning for all the orchestral (group) ensembles is according to where those sections would be seated in an actual orchestra. So, if you want centered panning, you need to insert a Pan controller message (cc 11) with a value of 64 at the start of your sequencer track.

For Picked_Bass, I need pan to +27 for a centered sound, though that depends on the note.

That's a stereo bass, so the waveforms on each channel are a little different, especially in the lower octaves. I'll take another look at it, and see if I can manually even out some of the discrepancies.

For Solo_Oboe, the first octave has a panning offset w.r.t. the higher octaves.

Most of the samples I make are "simulated stereo", so I have to manually even out the volume discrepancies between channels. This is another one I'll have to review.

the panning is inverted for all plugins.

Hmmm. Are you sure your speakers aren't reversed? (It could be that I had my headphones on backwards when I was coding the panning.)

Solo_Cello gives /pizzicato/3_A.cmp sample rate matching error.

Fixed. Here's an update containing some of the fixes so far:

http://wikisend.com/download/607352/update.zip

No sound for Grand_Piano: 0_A_1.cmp does not exist.

Oops. I forgot to upload the lower half of the grand piano as another zip. There should be a grand_pianos_1_48khz.zip and grand_pianos_2_48khz.zip. You've effectively already got grand_pianos_1_48khz.zip. So download the grand_pianos_2_48khz.zip from the site:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nbo-plugins/files/

sudo echo $HOME
returns /root.

Why would it return /root as a /home folder?? Combined with a 0 length timeout for sudo, I'm very unimpressed with your distro's setup of sudo. Plus, this SUDO_USER env variable is another anomaly. Debian doesn't set that, so your solution doesn't work there. I'll have to investigate another way to determine the home folder of the person running the script (or allow you to specify it when you run the script).

I wish your Debian-based distro wouldn't mess around with Debian's sudo setup. This incompatibility isn't needed.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:57 pm

the panning is inverted for all plugins.

Hmmm. Are you sure your speakers aren't reversed? (It could be that I had my headphones on backwards when I was coding the panning.)

I'm sure.

sudo echo $HOME
returns /root.

Why would it return /root as a /home folder?? Combined with a 0 length timeout for sudo, I'm very unimpressed with your distro's setup of sudo.

It only returns /root if $HOME is called from a script run with sudo.
My sudo timeout is approximately 10 minutes or so. I'm running Mint, not Debian.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Okay, thanks for the fixes:

Grand_Piano now works fine.
Ricken_Bass also, but its panning is way too off-center, like the other bass.
Solo_Cello now gives the error:

Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-09 22-21-47.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-09 22-21-47.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

I'll have to investigate another way to determine the home folder of the person running the script (or allow you to specify it when you run the script).

You could also instruct the user to run the install scripts with:

~$ sudo --preserve-env=USER,HOME ./install.sh

Works with script:

#!/bin/bash

#create user-owned folders and files in user's home:
mkdir $HOME/TEST
touch $HOME/TEST/test.txt
chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME/TEST
find $HOME/TEST -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find $HOME/TEST -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

#create root-owned folders and files in /:
mkdir /TEST/
touch /TEST/test.txt
nuertine
Established Member

Post by nuertine »

Hi, good morning. I'm trying to install the non-budget plugins, but when I try I get the following error -->>

/usr/share/NoBudget/src/nbplugin.h:14:10: fatal error: lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h: No such file or directory
14 | #include <lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h>

I am using ubuntustuio 22.04.02 LTS.

I don't know how to solve this problem, although I'm not afraid of using the linux console I'm not a programmer, can you tell me how to solve the problem and be able to enjoy your plugins?

I have various plugins from various developers that I use in carla host and in ardour without problems.

Thank you for your attention, greetings.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Hmmm, You're missing the LV2 developer's include files (used to compile the source code). These are in the package named "lv2-dev". My installer should have detected that you were running a distro that uses the APT package manager (Ubuntu still does use apt, right? or did they restrfict apps to something proprietary like Snap?). Then it should have used apt to install "lv2-dev" for you. Is this package no longer in ubuntu's repositories? If not, you'll have a hard time compiling any linux plugins.

Run the synaptics app. (Use "apt-get install synaptic" if you don't have it on your system). Do a search for the above package and install it. Then try running the script again. (You won't need to uninstall anything first. This problem happened right at the beginning of installation).

P.S. I hope some ubuntu dev didn't reorganize the contents of that package, and move things to different folders. After you install lv2-dev, from a terminal window, type the following:

sudo whereis lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h

It should display the location of the file. If it instead tells you that the file or directory doesn't exist, then you've got a problem with ubuntu. I'd recommend Debian instead. It's ubuntu without the mistakes.

Actually, for you. I would recommend AVLinux. It's a music distro based on debian.

nuertine
Established Member

Post by nuertine »

Hello again, thanks for answering so quickly.

In k-ubuntustudio apt is used and also snaps or flatpak

The package manager in kubuntustudio is muon, which is like synaptic and I checked that lv2-dev is installed and if I typed the command sudo whereis lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h I didn't get any results.

But for testing it occurred to me to create the lv2plug.in folder inside /usr/include/lv2, then inside lv2plug.in the ns folder and inside 3 other folders called ext extensions and lv2core:

/usr/include/lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui/ui.h
/usr/include/lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h
/usr/include/lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/ext/ (here copy the contents of the lv2 folder except the lv2plug.in folder)

After that if I repeat the command sudo whereis lv2/lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/lv2.h the result is-->>lv2.h: /usr/include/lv2.h

Thus the installer that you provide to install the instruments gives the following output:

Installing the wave files. This may take a while.
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnbplugin: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Error compiling plugin DSP

At this point the installer stops.

Surely you are horrified that I have done something like that.

Is there a solution to the problem or should I just forget about it for now?

I know that debian is the mother of almost all linux distributions, but the truth is that a priori it is more difficult to configure as needed for audio, for example, for someone like me who is not expert enough, as a system administrator, no. I'm a computer scientist and if you don't know what you're doing it's easy to load the system.

As for the suggestion to use debian or AVLinux, I will weigh it, although I have just reinstalled my system due to changing the hard disk to SSD DRIVE and I am already finishing installing what I wanted in kuntustudio 22.04 LTS KDE plasma desktop.

I was only missing something like No Budget Orchestra Plugins, because it is something that is missing in linux, at least in the way you have developed it, there is very interesting software in windows but it doesn't quite work correctly with WINE.

I have to say that I am not a professional musician, I only have basic notions but I try to learn, and in terms of knowledge of the Linux system I have been using it for years, but at a user level, not a developer one.

I'm not afraid of using the console but on the other hand I'm not an expert so sometimes in situations like this I don't know how to solve the problem that arises.

My heartfelt thanks to the developers who directly help those of us who use their software.

My native language is not English. I am using a translator from Spanish, I say this in case the translation is strange at any time.

I do not want to take more time, thank you for your attention, regards.