Somewhat new to music, very new to Linux

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tkmusic
Established Member

Somewhat new to music, very new to Linux

Post by tkmusic »

I'm never great at intros, so I'll keep it brief. I've been making my own music for the past seven years, and have decided to make the Linux jump for a number of different reasons besides music. I have been using the latest LTS version of Ubuntu Studio for about two months now, and I am enjoying it even if there is a bit of a learning curve. I am still trying to figure out how all this audio stuff on Linux works, so any advice would be appreciated, especially in regard to how to optimize JACK. I should also mention that I have a Presonus iTwo that I would love to use with something on here, but their support is no help. From what I've read on here though, some people have been able to get their Presonus units to work in Linux, so I'd love to figure that out.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Somewhat new to music, very new to Linux

Post by Impostor »

tkmusic wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 am

Ubuntu Studio [..] optimize JACK.

Isn't the point of a dedicated distro as Ubuntu Studio that it's already optimized OOTB?*

That is, adding yourself to the audio group, giving this group realtime permissions, running Jack with high realtime priority, threading IRQ's, setting your CPU governor to performance, etc., isn't necessary anymore? Then there seems not much left to optimize but to set Jack's sample rate and buffer size... which can be done in a GUI like that of QJackCtl.

*I'm not asking you personally: it's more of a rethorical question.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Maybe this helps ?

Some claim they got it working.

https://answers.presonus.com/4897/anyon ... ux-mint-17

Have you tried plugging it in?

I have a scarlett solo, and typical on Linux, you wont get a pop up, but it does work.

Last edited by Gps on Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkmusic
Established Member

Post by tkmusic »

I'll have to give some of these a try. Like I said, I'm very new to the Linux world. I've mostly been spending the last few months getting familiar with the command line. I've messed around a little bit with LMMS, but not enough to form any real piece of music yet.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@tkmusic

From what I can tell looking at brochures / manual for the Presonus iTwo, it looks to be a pure-hardware, USB-compliant device, which should Just Work (TM) on Linux. Plug it in, try to configure Ubuntu Studio Controls to use it, and let us know what happens.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
tkmusic
Established Member

Post by tkmusic »

After some fiddling, I think I got it to work. I'll have to test multitracking and see how that goes. I think I'll make a new thread in the Newbies subforum if I have any more questions.