span

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elcalen
Established Member

Re: span

Post by elcalen »

LAM wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:33 pm
elcalen wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:05 pm

The analyser I've been using in REAPER lately is ReSpectrum by nitsuj, it can be found on the REAPER forums. (It's a companion to his ReEQ equaliser, which is also really nice, but sadly too cpu-hungry for my use.)

Tried it in YSFX, looks good and has interesting features, but alone, at least it was not obvious to me how to show it, it doesn't have a meter nor correlation meter.

Yeah, no additional meters, but when I'm mixing a track I'll typically have the master meter visible in the DAW's mixer anyway, so that's not really relevant for me.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
runoff23
Established Member

Post by runoff23 »

Check out - saike spectral analyzer (JSFX). which has m/s mode and more.

Screenshot_2023-02-10_18-40-27.png
Screenshot_2023-02-10_18-40-27.png (53.11 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Yeah, Saike's analyzer is another good JSFX one. I personally prefer nitsuj's ReSpectrum, but honestly it largely comes down to aesthetics. Saike's might be a little more configurable, actually, but ReSpectrum does everything I need.

One thing that ReSpectrum doesn't have is adjustable reaction/decay times. It's a little slower to fall off than what a lot of other analysers default to, but that suits my needs fine.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

sadko4u wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:09 pm

Boom!

https://github.com/sadko4u/lsp-plugins/issues/302

:D :D :D

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

A little addendum to this discussion: LSP plugins version 1.2.6 is out now, and it improves the spectrum analyzer in a couple of really nice ways. Firstly, as sadko4u hinted above, there's a mid/side mode toggle now available. Secondly, the usability of the frequency selector (the vertical guideline) has been greatly improved: it can now be moved simply by clicking/dragging in the graph, and it displays more useful information in the graph as well.

With these changes, imho the LSP analyzer is likely the best native linux spectrum analyzer currently available, and quite usable for most cases. (Whether for me personally it'll replace the JS plugins available in REAPER remains to be seen, I'll have to compare them a little more. At this point it honestly comes down largely to aesthetic preference...)