Into the unknown

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TheMirrorImageMF

Into the unknown

Post by TheMirrorImageMF »

Where do I begin? Since this is my introductory post to a linux forum, I'd just like to introduce myself.
My name is Jon, I'm 34 years old, from Canada. I recently made the switch from Windows OS and have spent about a year familiarizing myself with this operating system without any prior knowledge how to navigate and perform simple tasks.

Take it easy on me, I'm as green as grass when it comes to audio production via computer. I don't know where to begin and am asking the community here, "What have I gotten myself into"? and, "would anybody care to show me around?"

I am familiar with using windows programs and plug ins and dsp's, to the extent that I could plug my guitar into my Behringer UM2 and make sound happen. I'm am completely lost since I made the switch. If there is anything you's need to know before diving down this rabbit hole please let me know.

I've played around, using many different distros, daw's, and I feel like the entire process is much more difficult than it really is. It's really (Pardon my en francais) fucking overwhelming, tabarnac!

excuse me Somebody please walk me through the basics. Thanks!

"I'm a lefty, I play guitars backwards"
"Left Handed?? You're one of them Mirror Image Mother F*uckers!"

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Into the unknown

Post by Impostor »

I don't find the process of using a midi keyboard with a daw with plugins on linux all that different from how it works on windows. And where it is different, it's mostly the flexibility of linux (Jack connections) against the rigidity of windows.

But since you use an audio interface, maybe that's the source of all your woes? There are plenty here who use audio interfaces and could probably help you...

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Into the unknown

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

TheMirrorImageMF wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:28 pm

[...] plug my guitar into my Behringer UM2 and make sound happen. [...]

What exactly do you mean? You can hear your guitar through the speakers of your computer? You can record your guitar playing? With what software?

I'd start to record something with good old Audacity if I were you. There's an Audacity version for Win, Apple and Linux. Everybody uses it. So if you've done "anything music" or audio on any computer then you're probably already familiar with it.

I'm afraid we need more information than this to help you. Good luck! :)