Where is the latency limit???

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Re: Where is the latency limit???

Post by Loki Harfagr »

If you play guitar mind not to get shorter latency since you now ear the sound as if coming from 45cm afar and going closer may rise the problem that your strumming hand will then be later than the rest ;)

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

That's nice. Now run Kontakt, a U-he synth and OBX-d at that setting and get back to us with the results.

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It depends on the hardware. I have an RME card and the driver for that won't allow a buffer of less than 64 samples. I also have a card based on an ICE_1712 chip, and that allows any buffer size to be used. The absolute hard limit I found was 2 samples. When using a 1 sample buffer, JACK would not start. Looking at the reason for that with a 2 sample buffer the soundcard interrupt alone was using more than 50% of one core, so the CPU just can't handle the number of interrupts required for a 1 sample buffer. At this time a 2 sample buffer is not usable, as it xruns, but improvements in chips could change that, particularly in the cache -- Ryzen chips with 3D V-cache have exceptional low latency performance.

For USB -- there is a limit built into the USB audio protocol. It sends 8 packets per millisecond. At a sample rate of 48000S/s there are 48 samples in a millisecond, so that is a hard limit of a 6 sample buffer.