LibrePlanet conference looking for good FLO-licensed music for conference livestream

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

LibrePlanet conference looking for good FLO-licensed music for conference livestream

Post by wolftune »

Hi everyone, I see lots of back log of people making and posting music, but it's not easy to find licensing information or know much about the styles and options.

The LibrePlanet conference in March hosted by the FSF https://libreplanet.org/2023/ wants to find more Free/Libre/Open music to play between talks in the livestream. So, that means probably friendly-enough fun (still could be experimental) background music not so much songs with singing. Licensing should be CC0 or CC BY or BY-SA (none of the restrictive "no" licenses, and many people here seem to favor the non-FLO "NC" clause, probably without really considering the ramifications).

Please reply here if you know of or have made music that would fit the bill, especially if made with all FLO software.

Cheers,
Aaron (not a conference organizer, but I will be speaking again)

Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Impostor
Established Member

Re: LibrePlanet conference looking for good FLO-licensed music for conference livestream

Post by Impostor »

Seems not many people here release their music under CC licence?
Me neither. Keeping 'all rights reserved' just seems to me the prudent thing to do. After all, one can always ask for permission to use something in a certain way?

LAM
Established Member

Re: LibrePlanet conference looking for good FLO-licensed music for conference livestream

Post by LAM »

Hi @wolftune,

you can give a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?t=24842

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Impostor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm

Seems not many people here release their music under CC licence?
Me neither. Keeping 'all rights reserved' just seems to me the prudent thing to do. After all, one can always ask for permission to use something in a certain way?

I agree that it's the most prudent approach, and the one I've followed so far too. It hasn't been an obstacle as far as I know: just today I contributed some tracks to the new radio free fedi project, and all they needed from me was permission to stream the songs.

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

"All Rights Reserved" is "most prudent" in the same way that proprietary software licensing is "most prudent".

In most cases, licensing makes no difference one way or another because nobody is going to do anything different, you get ignored or get the music played either way. So, that doesn't justify making "All Rights Reserved" be a default.

Every argument for software freedom applies just as well to music. If you think it's fine to have everyone ask permission, you're just not seeing how that blocks any practical chain of creativity. You can't go asking eleventy seven rights holders of music (which itself was remixed) and visuals and so on to each give their permission for you to translate a video (which was itself built on other videos) into a different language or whatever.

The only way software freedom or cultural freedom can function is if you not only give permission for people to listen to and share creative works but also freedom to adapt and to pass on the freedoms to whoever they share their adaptations with.

If your inclination is to give permission if people ask, then just use CC BY-SA because it requires that people comply with giving credit and retaining the free terms anyway. If you reserve the right to say "no" to uses and want everyone to ask, then you limit the reach of your work by holding it close, and you also lose anyone who cares about licensing from a political/ethical perspective (as is the case with LibrePlanet).

Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

wolftune wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:55 pm

"All Rights Reserved" is "most prudent" in the same way that proprietary software licensing is "most prudent".

In most cases, licensing makes no difference one way or another because nobody is going to do anything different, you get ignored or get the music played either way. So, that doesn't justify making "All Rights Reserved" be a default.

Every argument for software freedom applies just as well to music. If you think it's fine to have everyone ask permission, you're just not seeing how that blocks any practical chain of creativity. You can't go asking eleventy seven rights holders of music (which itself was remixed) and visuals and so on to each give their permission for you to translate a video (which was itself built on other videos) into a different language or whatever.

The only way software freedom or cultural freedom can function is if you not only give permission for people to listen to and share creative works but also freedom to adapt and to pass on the freedoms to whoever they share their adaptations with.

That makes sense, but I guess my main point is that I approach my music and my software quite differently. The vast majority of the software I write is open source because I do want people to be able to get it, modify it, and hopefully contribute those changes back so that the end result is better than it was before. The music I write is my own, instead, and no matter how bad it may be, I don't want anyone to modify it or profit from it unless I explicitly allow it: I'm not interested in it being any part of any creativity chain except my own. I'm more than happy to have it "used", though, which is where my observation on prudency and permission came from.

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

I understand why people can feel that software is more utilitarian and music is more personal.

I do invite people to keep in mind that CC licenses include a clause saying you can tell people they must remove reference to you from some derivative. Also, as with software, we can fail to anticipate what useful derivatives might exist.

I made music CC BY-SA, and I know of it getting used in some amateur podcast, someone using my music in a video of a South American discussion of permaculture, and another case of someone using it in a video about a farmer's market in Portugal.

And yes, people can always ask for permission to use All Rights Reserved, but they often will not, and even with permission, it's an issue because then some other limited-permission license is tied up in the new work.

It took me a long process to get to this, but I no longer feel comfortable telling other people that they should not necessarily have freedoms to engage with cultural material. I don't like the All Rights Reserved world I live in overall, and I don't want to be a part of it even though the problems are mostly in the way All Rights Reserved serves big corporations and not as much from random obscure amateur artists.

Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

I had a look and it seems I have only a few CC-by-sa tracks (others are at least CC-by-nc-sa):

Only the first is completely in-the-box. I tend to use hardware synths and "real" instruments most of the time.