Multiple Versions of Same Instrument (Drumgizmo) Plugin at Same Time?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RyanH
Established Member

Multiple Versions of Same Instrument (Drumgizmo) Plugin at Same Time?

Post by RyanH »

I would like to have two versions of the Drumgizmo LV2 plugin installed at the same time. For example, 0.9.18 alongside 0.9.19. The reason is because the later version works better for one drum kit but worse for another. I'd like to be able to switch between them, depending on which kit I want to use. Is this possible... for example, by renaming one of them?

I did previously have two versions of an instrument or effect plugin installed - I can't remember which one - but in that case, the plugin existed as just a single .so file in a plugins folder... maybe VST. I just renamed one of the .so files and dropped it in that or another folder and Carla was able to find and use both.

In the case of Drumgizmo, it exists in its own folder in /usr/lib/lv2, which also contains a file called manifest.ttl, which contains some specific, computery instructions which I don't understand.

So I have the .deb files for each of the versions I want to use, which I have been using sudo apt install to install. However, because this is just a plugin and not a standalone piece of software - and because uninstalling one version and installing another doesn't require any changes to installed dependencies - I'm thinking it must be possible to use both. I could maybe install the earlier one, copy the .so file somewhere, then uninstall it and install the newer one, then rename the first and drop it somewhere.

Any thoughts?

miuzik
Established Member

Re: Multiple Versions of Same Instrument (Drumgizmo) Plugin at Same Time?

Post by miuzik »

RyanH wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:16 am

So I have the .deb files for each of the versions I want to use, which I have been using sudo apt install to install. However, because this is just a plugin and not a standalone piece of software - and because uninstalling one version and installing another doesn't require any changes to installed dependencies - I'm thinking it must be possible to use both. I could maybe install the earlier one, copy the .so file somewhere, then uninstall it and install the newer one, then rename the first and drop it somewhere.

Technically is possible. Rename the ".so" file can help.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

miuzik wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm
RyanH wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:16 am

Technically is possible. Rename the ".so" file can help.

Thanks, miuzik. I tried renaming it and dropping it into the LV2 folder beside the originally installed one, but it doesn't work. I think because Drumgizmo has to be installed and can't just be copied. It's a folder with the .so file and a manifest.ttl file... not just the .so file a lot of other plugins use.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

LV2 plugins use an internal identifier that should only change across versions if they are backward incompatible. Usually this identifier does not change. Plugin hosts are expected to only load one plugin with a given identifier.

One way that might work to do this is to put the two versions of drum gizmo in different directories, then load two instances of Carla LV2 on different tracks of your DAW, and see if you can get each version of drum gizmo to load inside of the two instances of Carla LV2.

Hopefully a future release of drum gizmo has a bug fix that will make it suitable for both kits.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Michael Willis wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:00 pm

LV2 plugins use an internal identifier that should only change across versions if they are backward incompatible. Usually this identifier does not change. Plugin hosts are expected to only load one plugin with a given identifier.

One way that might work to do this is to put the two versions of drum gizmo in different directories, then load two instances of Carla LV2 on different tracks of your DAW, and see if you can get each version of drum gizmo to load inside of the two instances of Carla LV2.

Hopefully a future release of drum gizmo has a bug fix that will make it suitable for both kits.

Ok, I'll try putting a copy somewhere else in /root. I did try putting the two side-by-side in the same folder with the name changed for one, but Carla only found one instance. I'm guessing this is because Carla goes by what's programmed into the .so file and not the names. I also tried putting one version in my home folder, but Carla has some issue where it can't scan the user's home directory.

Thanks for the tip about the identifier. I'm thinking that if the above doesn't work, what I can do is just swap in/out the folder for whatever Drumgizmo version I want to use for a particular song and save the unused one somewhere else. Not ideal, but also not too difficult and easier than uninstalling/installing. It's certainly worth the effort!