Boss 880 vs Hydrogen

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Boss 880 vs Hydrogen

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi Gang,
I can get a hold of a Boss Dr880 drummachine, or...I can save money and stick with Hydrogen...
Is the Boss worth the money?
Thanks for meditatiing with me
Melissa

OccinticLady
Established Member

Re: Boss 880 vs Hydrogen

Post by OccinticLady »

After some evaluation, I decided not to spend extra cash for a tool I can perfectly have in Hydrogen (with all the quirks)...
Hydrogen lets me make my own drumkits - like the one I already made - and use them, let's le tune things in as I need...
Something the Boss - for all its good points - may not give me...
But...input and meditation on the subject is still welcome... :wink:

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

After googling a Boss 880, I can only say it depends.

On your budget and if you want to be able to play life, you prob need a hardware drumcomputer.

For just drum sounds in your DAW Hydrogen is about perfect.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I own a BOSS DR880. I used it for live gigs before replacing it with BackupBand. The dependability of it would make it preferable (over computer drum software) for live gigging. But as far as the sounds are concerned, you can get better drum sounds from numerous software programs. (I've not used Hydrogen, so I can't say how it compares to the 880. But the drum kits I made for BackupBand sound better than an 880, which is why I replaced the 880 for gigging).

Bottom line: If you're not gigging, you don't need any hardware drum box. Computer software today does at least as good a job at simulating a real drummer. If you're gigging, you may want the reliability and quick adjustment of a hardware unit (ie, having physical controls to operate, rather than looking at a computer monitor and dragging a mouse). Consider software for live use only if you've got software that will operate for hours without crashing or malfunctioning, and it has a adequately sized/spaced user interface that makes fast adjustments possible.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi all,
Well, Live gigging is looking around the corner...but since I play ambient mostly...drums may not be at the foreground. The asking price is E100, and this seems very tempting...seen what EBay and such post for prices....
Still, it indeed depends on the style I make...ambient is not really known to have a lot of drums :lol: