Sandpaper Walls -Jehanne with The Argent Grub

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caprenter
Established Member

Sandpaper Walls -Jehanne with The Argent Grub

Post by caprenter »

Hi Folks

Apologies for not participating here for a while - life!

Anyway, I have been doing a bit of music, and today released a new single with a new vocalist:

Sandpaper Walls is my first collaboration with Leeds (UK) based singer / song-writer Jehanne. This is her song (lyrics/melody) with my arrangement of it.

For me, her voice is in the same ballpark as Stacey Kent, Pomplamoose and the iconic French singer Françoise Hardy, and as such, it's been a massive pleasure to work with her.

You can listen free on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jehannec/sandpaper-walls-1

If you want to support the artists directly and pay something, Bandcamp has a pay what you feel /free download option.
https://theargentgrub.bandcamp.com/trac ... aper-walls

The track is released under a creative commons licence (so do grab it an re-use it if you want!), and all my work was done with free and open source software. Credits are on the Bandcamp page.

As ever appreciative of the time anyone takes to listen. Your feedback is also always welcome- happy to hear the bad as well as the good (if there is either of any!)

All the best
David

Last edited by caprenter on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Sandpaper Walls

Post by Impostor »

Good! Thanks for this one!

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Sandpaper Walls -Jehanne with The Argent Grub

Post by Basslint »

I like it a lot! You brought back a very nice indie pop sound from the 90s (epitomized by bands like Lush), a sound that sounds still as fresh and certainly benefits Jehanne's timbre. I liked this track A LOT, I mean, go ahead! You should do a full album with her.

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Thanks @Impostor and thanks @Basslint As always, I really appreciate people taking the time to listen and give feedback.

We do have a few more songs that we are working on.
We've shared the ideas and pieces that we had individually in our work in progress pile, and we've started to share new ideas written with each other in mind. It's a fun process. I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

A quick follow up - this is the next thing Jehanne and I did together: All The Time

It's slightly different. I really appreciated Jehanne's vocals on this. Really lifted the song for me into something far greater than I could achieve on my own.

https://theargentgrub.bandcamp.com/album/all-the-time

There's a video to go with it, I've been using Flowblade: https://jliljebl.github.io/flowblade/
There was a bit of a learning curve, but now I'm used to it, it's really good for my undemanding needs.

As ever - thanks for your time and interest.

P.S. Field Recordings 3 is coming out next week for anyone interested in music/field recording combinations. I'll post on here about it.
Oh and PPS - if anyone on this forum wants to download copies of any of my stuff or add it to their Bandcamp collection, let me know and I'll send you a copy (or bandcamp code) - no need to pay me ever!

All the best

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

caprenter wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:52 pm

A quick follow up - this is the next thing Jehanne and I did together: All The Time

Another two very good tracks! Love the mood in these..