GeekosDaw broke my sound ?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

GeekosDaw broke my sound ?

Post by Gps »

I updated geekosDaw and then suddenly the sound from my Focurite solo is distorted. :?

Rebooting my pc and then rebooting again and connecting the solo did not solve the problem.

I might have to reset the solo but have no idea on how.

Any thoughts on this ?

With my headset connect to the mobo everything is normal, also the speaker of the monitor works normal although that sound is always poor.

I hope I wont have to dust off my windows 10 present on this pc?

Is there a way to reset the solo ? Never say never but I doubt the update really broke the solo.

Kott
Established Member

Re: GeekosDaw broke my sound ?

Post by Kott »

what audio subsystem do you use?

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I think pipewire.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I think that easiest way is to suspend pipewire and check the sound with plain alsa.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Because my pc is dual boot, I decided to boot windows to rule out its an hardware issue.
Without installing anything windows, booting up terrible slow and showed a pop up.
Scarlett is ready for use.
I plugged in my head set and all was fine.

So the good news, there is nothing wrong with the Scarlett. :)

The bad news the sound is still distorted under Linux.

I did two updates today on opensuse. One was a regular update (802 items) , and then did geekos daw update.

One of the updates must have messed something up.

I did add myself to the audio group just to rule that out.

For now relieved my not even 3 weeks old solo, is not broken. :)

I cant believe the Geekos daw update did this, that only changed my wine version.

Should I boot a previous snap shot of tumbleweed, (Brtfs)

Edit:
Booting from a snap shot, did not help.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

today we updated Pipewire to the latest version in Factory but it seems some patches were added 2 hours ago. Please wait for the next update (just pushed it) and report back. Thanks!

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I just did zypper dup, and saw pipewire updating, but still the same problem.

Do I need to wait longer ?
Or also run GeekosDaw update ?

Sound is fine with headset connected directly to the mobo. :)

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Gps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:32 pm

I just did zypper dup, and saw pipewire updating, but still the same problem.

Do I need to wait longer ?
Or also run GeekosDaw update ?

Sound is fine with headset connected directly to the mobo. :)

It must be a regression in Pipewire. It will probably fix itself sooner or later (even sooner, if you report it on the Pipewire bug tracker) but if you want, I can create a repo specifically for the older version of Pipewire, so it will work.

Please note that we use the stock Pipewire from Factory (openSUSE Tumbleweed), we only patch some lines from the jack.conf file. Sometimes we lag behind a version or two because OBS is unable to automatically merge changes but we do not modify Pipewire, nonetheless. You could try installing the PW from Factory to verify if it's our fault or not.

In general, we try not to touch system-level stuff and use the stock packages from Factory. This is our approach (and I guess what makes us repo different from other projects) and we try to stick to it, in general.

Last edited by Basslint on Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you

I will see if I can find the pipewire bug tracker.

Is this it ?

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... e/-/issues

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Gps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:07 pm

Thank you

I will see if I can find the pipewire bug tracker.

Is this it ?

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... e/-/issues

Yes :D

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Just incase this is of any use... I usually find that when something has broken after an update and rolling back to a system backup doesn't solve it then there's something in my home folder that's changed. I have separate backups for my home folder so I usually have to try reverting to one of them if I haven't already solved it manually. If you've already reverted to a backup of your home folder then I suppose you can ignore this..

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Death wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:01 pm

Just incase this is of any use... I usually find that when something has broken after an update and rolling back to a system backup doesn't solve it then there's something in my home folder that's changed. I have separate backups for my home folder so I usually have to try reverting to one of them if I haven't already solved it manually. If you've already reverted to a backup of your home folder then I suppose you can ignore this..

Interesting but sadly I do not have backups of my home folder. I like your line of reasoning though. :)

There is besides tumbleweed and win 10 also a leap install on this pc. (on a third harddisk)
If I get it working again, I maybe can make a backup of my home folder on there. (copy paste)

There are 56 updates, and some are sound related. I probably should try that first.

The openSUSE forum does not seem to have a clue. 26 views on my topic but not one reply.

The updates:
airwindowsmanager amsynth amsynth-plugin-lv2 amsynth-plugin-vst calf calf-bash-completion carla carla-devel drumkv1-lv2 fluidsynth fluidsynth-devel gdaw-baseapps gdawupdate jack libFAudio0 libFAudio0-32bit libfdk-aac2 libffado2 libfluidsynth3 libgig10 libgig-devel
libjack0 libjack-devel libjacknet0 libjackserver0 liblash1 liblilv-0-0 libltc11 libopus0 libopus-devel libportmidi2 librubberband2 libsmf0 libsord-0-0 libSoundTouch1 libsratom-0-0 libWildMidi2 lsp-plugins-common lv2-calf lv2-calf-common lv2-calf-transient-designer
lv2-calf-vintage-delay lv2-EQ10Q-plugins lv2-lsp-plugins lv2-Mverb2020 lv2-NEL-19 patterns-desktop-geekosdaw python310-pyliblo python38-pyliblo qjackctl realtimeconfigquickscan rt-config wine wine-32bit wine-devel wine-devel-32bit

Fingers crossed.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I must be getting desperate.

I started a topic on the phoronix forum. Mostly to see if I am the only one with this issue.
That forum never helped me before, so not optimistic it will do me any good. But it cant hurt to try.

Now I wait:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... ssues/2971

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Ok well one thing you could try is deleting any relevant folders in the home folder (things to do with pipewire, for example) then rebooting. I've used this method to solve issues in the past when configurations have gotten messed up. Just back up the files you delete, of course.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Or create another new clean user profile (with another name) then test audio there.