GeekosDaw broke my sound ?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: GeekosDaw broke my sound ?

Post by Gps »

I was wondering about resetting pipewire.

Deleting those folders or creating a new user should do that. :)

Been wondering about (a windows habbit) uninstall pipewire, then reinstall it. (and on windows run a reg cleaner after uninstalling the program)

Succesrate of this on windows 99%, but I can't even remember once for this to work on Linux.

Read something about resetting the focus. I would need to use windows for that and install some software.
I am not desperate enough yet though to try this.

It bothers me booting from a snapshot did not work, that does point to a problem in the home folder, as far as I understand snap shots.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

just test it with other user profile instead of posting emotions here :)

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Reading this:
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/ ... erman.html

What I do not know yet, if I add a user, do I need it to the audio group?
Will it create a separate home, and will I get this diskspace back after deleting that user.

This group thingy does give me UNIX flash backs. (airplane company, cad on UNIX)

I do remember 45773 then group 111 or something like that.

Ah well lets just try.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Bring in the dancing girls ! :D

I decided to test my system before I tried anything, because yesterday I had again a lot of sound related updates.

Don't ask me which update fix it but the problem is gone.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

And the problem was back.

This time it happened after I had to force shutdown my pc. (hold the on/off button for 5 seconds)

I also fixed it again within 20 seconds.

I unplugged the focus USB cable from the the back of my pc (motherboard). Then waited a bit and reconnected it.

I am beyond confused, because just unplugging the usb cable from the focus at the back of the focus, did not help.

So its not Linux nor the focus, but my mobo (USB) going into a bleep mode ? wtf ?

I am gonna think about a different mobo, but need to think this over calmly first.
This is not the only time there seems to be an USB issue.

One thing left to do with the Focus, hold that 48V button.

There are however two stories.
One says just hold that 48V button for 5sec, the other one, unplug the focus then hold that 48V button en reconnect the focus while holding that 48V button.

Might try this tomorrow. Easy enough to see if it worked because then Linux wont see the scarlett mass storage device any more, only a scarlett usb audio device.

Don't we love computers ? :roll:

My current pc is never really unstable, but also never as stable as my previous self build pc's.
Those never crashed. This one does sometimes, with the mouse and keyboard (USB) going into ignore mode.
Updating the bios (UEFI) did not fix this.

My Ryzen cpu should not have usb issues, that problem was with other series according to the internet.

On the bright site, today in LMMS I had my USB midi controller connected. (Maudio keystation mini 32)
I notice the Pith bend is working, and when I hold the sust button, the sound goes wowowow ? Modulation?

The keystation does not have those two midi wheels besides the keys but some buttons to click.
They do about the same as those wheels tough.

Will LMMS be able to record this? In theory you should get two tracks, a midi track and an automation track.

Also showed a mate some of my keyboard "skills" with the keystation an organ plugin in LMMS and some Uriah Heep you tube vid.
He was smiling how relative easy it is to sound a bit like the Uriah Heep organ.

azr3 VST. It claims to be a Hammond organ, but maybe I need to find how John Lord fixed his Hammond organ to make it better suited for Rock.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Tumbleweed snapshot 20230118
hope it help you

Code: Select all

==== pipewire ====
Subpackages: gstreamer-plugin-pipewire libpipewire-0_3-0 pipewire-alsa pipewire-lang pipewire-modules-0_3 pipewire-pulseaudio pipewire-spa-plugins-0_2 pipewire-spa-tools pipewire-tools

- Add patch from upstream to avoid division by 0 and other issues
  with invalid values (glfo#pipewire/pipewire#2953):
  * 0001-alsa-guard-against-some-invalid-values.patch
- Add patch from upstream to fix causing an overflow resulting in
  choppy sound in some cases (glfo#pipewire/pipewire#2680):
  * 0001-spa-Fix-audioconvert-overflow-when-scaling.patch
- Add patch from upstream to fix a crash on arm:
  * 0001-cpu-arm-Fix-incorrect-free.patch
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Lets start positive, right now everything is fine.

I switched the focus to a different usb port, an usb2 port on top of my case (not an usb 3 port anymore on my mobo) fingers crossed.

The mouse and keyboard going on strike, is not a new issue. This has been happening almost from day 1 when I had build this pc.
This often does not happen for days. (different mouses, different keyboard)

Maybe I should test if this happens on windows too, but then I will have to use windows for days....

I doubt strongly this to be Linux issue though. For me never again an Asrock, will get an Asus again next time I buy a mobo.

When I build this pc, I had a weird issue installing windows 10, eufi related. After install of windows I had to go into the mobo and change it to legacy setting.

Never had this much issues, with other brands of motherboards.....

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thinking about the issues I had, with this mobo there is something (desperate) I could try.

Get a different brand memory. (now its G skill)

This pc is build with a dutch site as a guide line. That is usual how I pick my parts. (Tweakers)

They have every few months a best buy guide, with usual 3 pc to build yourself.
Budget machine, gaming machine and an highend (gaming or video editing) system.

This motherboard never recognized the G skill memory at its advertised speed.
I kinda knew this upfront, the Tweakers solution was to go into the bios and set the speed higher.

This how ever made the freezing and crashing occur more often. Somebody on the openSUSE forum suggested to put more volt on the memory.
He called G skill cheap gaming memory, which might do better with a bit more Volt. (I never tried this)

Random weird issues can point to memory issues, but how then is it possible the pc often works fine for days.

The cheapest solution is to live with it.

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

It does sound like you might have some hardware issues. If USB ports are behaving badly then yes that'll likely be a motherboard issue but may also be down to your power supply or even just bad wiring (unlikely unless you know you've damaged some wiring), possibly interferance also.

First of all - update your motherboard BIOS.

Secondly, when you set the RAM speed in the BIOS, don't manually set the speed and timings. It should have built in memory profiles/presets you can choose from (usually referred to as 'XMP' or some other name) so pick one of them and it'll set it all correctly for you. And yes, motherboards always set RAM to a fail-safe speed which is always lower than its rated for and so millions of people are probably running their RAM slower than they should be..

Motherboards have something called a 'qualified vendor list' (QVL). Look this up for your motherboard on its support website (same place you'll down the BIOS from) and see if your RAM is listed there and which configurations are supported. It can be very specific about which size modules & how many modules of that size are supported and at what speeds. It may be that your motherboard doesn't support your RAM config, unless that RAM itself is faulty. 'Memtest86' is useful for RAM testing if you want to test further.

Can you tell me your computer specs?

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Asrock B450M Pro 4 (updated bios)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core) @ 3.400GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 570
Memory: 5954MiB / 15915MiB Gskill AEGIS DDR4-3000 8GBx2

Edit: Memtest 86 does have a linux version, I did not know this. :)

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

System requirement:
x86 (32/64-bit) or ARM64 based hardware
UEFI platform firmware
Windows, Linux, or Mac OS
USB Flash Drive (> 1GB capacity)

I looked in YAST software and found
memtest86+ - Memory Testing Image for x86 Architecture :)

Memtest86+ v6 is a unified, free, open-source memory testing tool, released under GNU GPL v2.0. The new v6 code base (originally called PCMemTest) was provided by Martin Whitaker, based on Memtest86+ v5, developed by Sam Demeulemeester. Both are now working on Memtest86+.

Memtest86+ is unrelated to 'Memtest86', a closed-source Freemium software released in 2013 by PassMark Software Pty Ltd.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

This really made me smile.

I did not know my memory is this awesome. :lol:

Named after the powerful shield of Greek gods, Aegis symbolizes strength and power. This new addition of DDR4 memory to the AEGIS family of gaming memory is designed for upgraded performance and high stability on the latest PC gaming systems. Give the quality performance boost your gaming rig deserves, no matter the game. Whether it’s FPS, RTS, MOBA, or MMORPG, let AEGIS Gaming DDR4 Memory be the strength of your gaming arsenal!

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/185/ ... 16D-16GISB

So its called gaming memory, what ever that means.

Maybe i need to look for timings.

Almost afraid to type this out loud, two days since last freeze / crash.

Edit:
Lets see if I can check this in the mobo. Gskill Ram configurater does come up with my memory.

Tested latency,

Code: Select all

14-14-14-34
15-15-15-35
15-15-15-36
15-15-15-39
16-16-16-36
16-16-16-39
16-18-18-38
17-17-17-39
18-18-18-43
19-19-19-43 
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

I'd have thought 2x8GB at 3000MHz should be no problem for your board and cpu. I'd still have a look at the QVL though just to see what G.Skill module configs are listed.

Did you check the memory profile in the BIOS? You need to set this if you haven't already. The BIOS will also tell you what speed the RAM is running at.

As for Memtest86, it doesn't matter what OS you use; You can just install it on a USB drive and boot from it. I believe Memtest86 is better than Memtest86+ or at least it what last time I used them.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

My mobo does not recognize my memory, as 3000.

I have tried to set it to 3000 which kinda work but it also makes my pc less stable.
So now its at the speed the mobo thinks is right, which is below 3000.

That why the opensuse person suggested putting more volt on it. (some budget gaming memory seems to like that, his words)

I do not think I wanna do that though. First problem that I have , how much more volt ? 0.1V ? 0.5V ?
I think I have a mobo capable of over clocking so it should be possible.

I would prefer to look at the timing though. Maybe tomorrow I will look in the bios, see what I can find.
I know its not at 3000, but cant remember what it is set to. :)

What I also wanna look at is USB related. And why the focus does not turn off when I shutdown my pc.
That seems to be an bios setting according to the internet. After shutdown there will still be 5 volt on some usb ports.
For now after shutdown, I just turn the power supply off.

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Gps wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:07 am

My mobo does not recognize my memory, as 3000.

I have tried to set it to 3000 which kinda work but it also makes my pc less stable.
So now its at the speed the mobo thinks is right, which is below 3000.

That why the opensuse person suggested putting more volt on it. (some budget gaming memory seems to like that, his words)

I do not think I wanna do that though. First problem that I have , how much more volt ? 0.1V ? 0.5V ?
I think I have a mobo capable of over clocking so it should be possible.

I would prefer to look at the timing though. Maybe tomorrow I will look in the bios, see what I can find.
I know its not at 3000, but cant remember what it is set to. :)

What I also wanna look at is USB related. And why the focus does not turn off when I shutdown my pc.
That seems to be an bios setting according to the internet. After shutdown there will still be 5 volt on some usb ports.
For now after shutdown, I just turn the power supply off.

Yes, by default a motherboard will always set a failsafe speed. It's not gonna set it at 3000MHz for you. This is why you need to load the memory profile - there should be a section in the BIOS where you can do this. Have a good look through until you find it. It'll usually be in an advanced settings menu. It will be there somewhere.. It will set the speed, timings & voltage for you - simple as.

As for manually adjusting voltage (which you shouldn't need to do), just look at the RAM modules and they'll say on them which voltage they should be - usually 1.5v. I don't mess with overclocking these days so I'm not gonna advise on it other than to say, be very careful and do your research first..

Your sound issue could be due to memory corruption (bad overclock/RAM settings, for example). This can cause so many issues.. Set the BIOS to safe defaults and test for a while to see what happens.

USB power is controlled by the BIOS. You can set when it is available in the power settings. Again - have a look through the BIOS and see..

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Its official I hate computers. :lol:

In the bios, XMP profile DDR4 3000 :)

It also says Gskill and manufacturer, Hynix or something like that.

Running at 2133 MHZ :(

16-18-18-38 1.35Volt.

2.7 days since last freeze, then it happened again.

The bios does see the scarlett, but I think that is the mass storage device part.
Yesterday tried to hold the 48 volt button, but it failed, so I have to try that again.

Maybe I need to ask for help at Tweakers, or that English site, Toms hardware.

https://tweakers.net/
https://www.tomshardware.com/

For the non dutch people, those sites are about the same, but Tweakers is a dutch site. (my native language)

If it aint broke, Tweak it. :P

If I ask for help there though, first thing they will tell me to do is to run memtest. :)