Having trouble with Spitfire Audio app

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

senlil-sym-tekhas
Established Member

Having trouble with Spitfire Audio app

Post by senlil-sym-tekhas »

Has anyone else had any success with the Spitfire Audio app? I was using it for a while (via WINE and Carla) and having good success, but after the last update, it just won't run. I get the initial loading screen, but nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it multiple times, but with no success. Has anyone else had better luck?

System specs: I'm running AV Linux 21, Wine 6.22, and Carla 2.2.0, with REAPER as my DAW. Let me know if you want any other info.

Piano-player25
Established Member

Re: Having trouble with Spitfire Audio app

Post by Piano-player25 »

I've been experiencing the same problem since the last time they updated the app (I use Ubuntu 22.02 and wine 6.0.3).
I'll give you the fix I found, I hope this will work for you too.

The main problem here, apparently, is that the app runs, but the window doesn't update when stuff is supposed to happen. I had to manually minimize and re-open it every time I clicked on something or did anything. So basically, for example, I click on a button, minimize the window, open it again, and then it brings me where it's supposed to.
If this works for you, I highly recommand to check the option to keep you logged in in the settings so that you don't have to enter your email and password each time you open the app (it's a huge pain with this issue), and to stay patient if you want to download all of the LABS stuff (I did it, but it takes a while).

Hope this can help.

senlil-sym-tekhas
Established Member

Post by senlil-sym-tekhas »

That does appear to be the problem. Your suggestion is working perfectly--I can now access the app and perform downloads. Too bad that's the only way to do it, but at least now I can get at the libraries. Many thanks!

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@senlil-sym-tekhas, @Piano-player25:

Thank you for reporting the workaround. ISTM that notifying the wine-dev team via their bug tracker would be a Good Thing(TM), so that they can investigate and maybe repair the problem. If they can't, I've found the Spitfire support folks helpful: for instance, at one point, they gave me a workaround to allow running an older version while waiting on a Wine workaround to land.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Piano-player25
Established Member

Post by Piano-player25 »

From the guide about filling bugs (https://wiki.winehq.org/Bugs) :

You should report a bug when :

• Wine doesn't run a program the same way as Windows does (e.g. crashes) with the default Wine configuration (i.e. no dlls from Windows, or DllOverrides set).
  • You are using the latest development version of Wine (not stable) (See downloads for information on how to get the latest).

The latest developement version of Wine is 8.0-rc4 (according to the website), whereas we were both using a much older one.
The same issue has also been reported on AppDB here : https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=41256 :

The UI does not redraw making it appear like the application is not working/hung.

So I'm not sure if I really should report this bug.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Piano-player25

Cool that you found that AppDB entry. Did you note the workaround it mentions?

Enable dxvk and the UI works correctgly.

This can be installed via winetricks.

Given that the Spitfire Library manager and their native plugin is pretty much the only Windows stuff I use, the downsides (breaking apps which need a different hack) will likely work for me.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Piano-player25
Established Member

Post by Piano-player25 »

No, I didn't read the whole thing :lol:
Personnally, I won't do this workaround. I'm not especially good at this kind of things, and as long as I can install and run these librairies, I'm fine with encountering some visual bugs. Anyway, I installed everything I really needed and I'm not really planning to buy stuff from Spitfire until quite some time.
But it's nice that you mentioned this, could be helpful for people who need or want the UI to work properly. :D

ForrestH
Established Member

Post by ForrestH »

Note to Intel-based Debianites: the current 2.x version of dxvk has requirements that Debian 12/bookworm doesn't yet satisfy. dxvk 1.10.3 does seem to work; you can get it through winetricks with

winetricks dxvk1103

(In case you wondered, dxvk is a "Vulkan-based translation layer for Direct3D 9/10/11 which allows running 3D applications on Linux using Wine." You can now move on to wondering why an installer needs to run in 3D.)