guitarix.vst

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: guitarix.vst

Post by tramp »

@Audiojunkie Many thanks.
I never would have thought that, but those donations really stimulate me working on the source. :)
So I've now implemented the ability to load your own IR-files into the guitarix.vst convolvers.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Very cool! Thank you!

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've now implemented the tuner in the vst plugin. So we coming slowly forward a first stable release.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Very cool! Greatly appreciated!!!

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Damn you are awesome Brummer! Can´t wait for a full release of it. I am definitely dying to get my guitarix preset on lv2 format

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Rodney wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:33 pm

Can´t wait for a full release of it. I am definitely dying to get my guitarix preset on lv2 format

I don't plan to make a LV2 version of it. It will properly stay as vst3. However, you could already get a prebuild binary from the project page to get your first impressions. It is already stable performance wise. The only open report I've so far is about the jcm800 plug, which seems to be unstable (stop working, but didn't crash). So go, grab your copy and report back your findings. :D
https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix.vst

On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Just tried the tuner and it is a very welcome addition indeed :-)
The visual cues given by the left & right triangles are a bit confusing though, I ended tuning by looking at the frequency.
Could you maybe make it more colorful or just put more increment markers?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:21 am

The visual cues given by the left & right triangles are a bit confusing though, I ended tuning by looking at the frequency.
Could you maybe make it more colorful or just put more increment markers?

Yea, I've reworked it a bit, not more colours but make the colour more meaningful. So only one side gets colour when needed. When booth triangles been colourless, you be in tune.

On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Reworked tuner interface once more, now it shows the cents differ from next Note and a little stroboscope like indicator which starts moving at 0.5 cents, allow absolute fine tuning. When finer graduation is needed, you must use the cents indicator.
The triangle indicators starts at 2 cents, which is for my guitar good enough. :)

On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

It's a lot more usable. I'd still prefer seeing the triangles light up green when in tune but at least it's readable (and precise enough with the dots).

But I have found something weirder while testing: there's a possible accuracy problem when going lower than a 6 string guitar in standard tuning.
If I follow what the tuner says for the low B & F# of my 7 & 8 string guitars, I will end up very slightly sharp compared to the higher octaves (I found out while adjusting intonation).
I tried only at 96khz, and feeding a sine wave from a soft synth didn't show anything weird. The behavior is by the way the same in guitarix standalone.
This is probably worth a bug report, but I'm not 100% sure either. Could anyone confirm/infirm?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:38 pm

I'd still prefer seeing the triangles light up green when in tune

Okay, I'll add that.

gimmeapill wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:38 pm

But I have found something weirder while testing: there's a possible accuracy problem when going lower than a 6 string guitar in standard tuning.
If I follow what the tuner says for the low B & F# of my 7 & 8 string guitars, I will end up very slightly sharp compared to the higher octaves

That's wired indeed. I wonder if you've the same issue when using the x42 tuna or other digital tuners?
I also wonder if the tuner shows the wrong frequency, or if only the indicators loos precision?

On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

tramp wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:24 am

That's wired indeed. I wonder if you've the same issue when using the x42 tuna or other digital tuners?
I also wonder if the tuner shows the wrong frequency, or if only the indicators loos precision?

I will run more tests on the week end with the x42 tuner, and at 48Khz (also with a bass guitar). But this is very faint - less than 1 semitone.

In that case, the only tell tale is that if you intonate the low E and B strings, you typically measure E3, B3 (24th fret), E2, B2 (12th fret) and E1 / B1: then the tuner might say that everything is fine, but intonation will be slightly off (fifth chords up and down the neck sound bad).
in short: the measurement of B3 is fine, B2 is fine, B1 is not, same for F#1 (and possibly everything else below and in between).

The same operation with E & A and everything is fine = This doesn't happen with the other 6 strings of a guitar in standard tuning.
I was suspecting the guitar at first (that wouldn't be the first time a guitar has intonation issues) but I reproduced the same behavior on other instruments, and I managed to intonate without problem with another tuner.

Most of the software tuners I tried are usually a bit out of wack, especially with extended range guitars. Those days I'm quite ok with the Boss Chromatic tuner on Android (or as a last resort my old trusty Seiko analog).

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've added the green light to the triangle indicators now. I also have increased the internal sample rate used in the tuner from 41kHz to 48kHz. Maybe there was some rounding errors during downsampling leading to the in-accuracy you described. Lower frequencies been harder to track anyway, so it maybe that this helps, but I don't know exactly, as with pure sine waves the issue didn't arise even when we use 41kHz internal.

On the road again.
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Just wondering but is there a way to run a stereo signal into Guitarix? I'd like to use its effects on my digital piano.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Kirtai wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Just wondering but is there a way to run a stereo signal into Guitarix? I'd like to use its effects on my digital piano.

The vst version have a stereo mode were all mono plugs been doubled to provide true stereo. The guitarix main app didn't come with that feature.

On the road again.