AVLinux - changing mouse pointer on Dektop

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

AVLinux - changing mouse pointer on Dektop

Post by lilith »

Hi,

currently I'm testing AVLinux. I didn't manage to change the mouse pointer from the plectrum style one to a normal pointer.
On windowss other than the desktop the changes I made are active, but how can I change it also on the desktop?

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVLinux - changing mouse pointer on Dektop

Post by GMaq »

lilith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi,

currently I'm testing AVLinux. I didn't manage to change the mouse pointer from the plectrum style one to a normal pointer.
On windowss other than the desktop the changes I made are active, but how can I change it also on the desktop?

Hi!

First of all you are not the first to suggest the default mouse theme is a plectrum or guitar pick and I must stress that they are not! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would never be tacky enough to make guitar pick cursors as a theme component. They are simply the Oreo Cursors theme which I like for their uniqueness and because I can color match them to the theme, admittedly the cursor looks just enough like a guitar pick that it gets misunderstood..

Context: https://github.com/varlesh/oreo-cursors

Now, on to your question... it seems when the cursor theme is changed that the next launch of a GTK3 application will reflect the change but it doesn't change everywhere until the next login or reboot..

If you are just trying AV Linux now I will mention that a new updated ISO with Openbox Window Manager removed and a full complete XFCE4 DE, new Login Manager and numerous other changes and improvements is due to be released as soon as Ardour 7.2 drops... You may find it worth getting on the bus at that point

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Hi,

thanks for the explanation with the mouse pointer. After testing some Linux ISO images during the weekend I think my USB 3.0 controller on my main machine died. I had a lot of problems booting from sicks and if it worked it was sluggish. I still have laptop with Windows and I think I´ll exchange it with Linux to have at least something until I buy a new PC. I don´t think I can wait until Ardour 7.2 is out...maybe I try MXLinux meanwhile and later switch to AVLinux. Did you think about using KDE instead of XFCE. I read that RAM usage is actually better compared to XFCE, but maybe I´m wrong.

GMaq wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:55 pm
lilith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi,

Hi!

First of all you are not the first to suggest the default mouse theme is a plectrum or guitar pick and I must stress that they are not! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would never be tacky enough to make guitar pick cursors as a theme component. They are simply the Oreo Cursors theme which I like for their uniqueness and because I can color match them to the theme, admittedly the cursor looks just enough like a guitar pick that it gets misunderstood..

Context: https://github.com/varlesh/oreo-cursors

Now, on to your question... it seems when the cursor theme is changed that the next launch of a GTK3 application will reflect the change but it doesn't change everywhere until the next login or reboot..

If you are just trying AV Linux now I will mention that a new updated ISO with Openbox Window Manager removed and a full complete XFCE4 DE, new Login Manager and numerous other changes and improvements is due to be released as soon as Ardour 7.2 drops... You may find it worth getting on the bus at that point

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

lilith wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:33 pm

Did you think about using KDE instead of XFCE. I read that RAM usage is actually better compared to XFCE, but maybe I´m wrong.

I have asked Glen the same several times but I don't think he likes KDE. :lol: KDE is by far my favourite DE but I don't like MX version of KDE much. It's why I use Debian with KDE, although it takes more tweaking and I borrow a lot of configuration from AVL (I have parallel installs of Bullseye, AVL-MXE and even still AVL 2018!).
Xfce has become much heavier since they switched to GTK3 and it's resource usage is similar to KDE these days.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@lilith:

I don´t think I can wait until Ardour 7.2 is out

FWIW, Ardour 7.2 was released today, and I'm pretty confident @Gmaq will be pushing out his updated AVLinux ISO very shortly.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Awesome 😁 no stress I try to get a pci usb card to make it work again.