Spot eq

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Spot eq

Post by CraigPid »

I was watching an old video of Rick Beato editing vocals and he was selecting parts of a vocal track and applying what he called spot eq to the selection. Is this something we can do in Linux? I don't think he said what eq he was using. I imagine that could all be done with processor automation but it seemed so simple and easy the way he was doing it.

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Spot eq

Post by sunrat »

Post a link to the video. I think I have seen it but don't recall the method.

CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

TheYke
Established Member

Post by TheYke »

From what I can see in the video it seems to me that with spot eq he simply means EQing just parts of an audioclip with different settings (and eventually
print these EQs into the file).

This should be quite easily be doable with clip fx in reaper for example. Can't speak for other DAWs.

Edit: typos

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

TheYke wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 am

This should be quite easily be doable with clip fx in reaper for example. Can't speak for other DAWs.

Yeah, that'd work in REAPER, although with the minor caveat that if you want to change settings in the middle of the clip, you'd need to split the clip. Which is pretty simple to do, of course. Some other DAWs might support per-clip plugins, but it's probably not universal.

The most universally applicable solution would probably just be using automation. A lot of DAWs can probably automate the bypass state of a plugin, so you could just turn the plugin on when needed, or you could even automate the state of specific EQ bands, depending on what exactly you need to EQ and what plugin you use.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

There's lots of ways to do this and is certainly achievable on linux. Simplest, and most universal, way would be duplicate the track and remove everything except what you want to EQ (and remove that part from the original track) and EQ as you like. Or automate the EQ plugin to turn on or go wet when you want it. Or send the track to another track then automate the mutes as needed. In reaper use clip fx, in bitwig you can bounce and then drag it back on to the original track.

Automation is probably the simplest way. I used to do this a ton with fx in ardour when working with vocals.