SSL Big SiX

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

SSL Big SiX

Post by khz »

The SSL Big SiX 16-channel AD/DA converter with USB-C interface works 100% out of the box. :D

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
stanlea
Established Member

Re: SSL Big SiX

Post by stanlea »

khz wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:51 am

The SSL Big SiX 16-channel AD/DA converter with USB-C interface works 100% out of the box. :D

Did you try it ?

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Yes. :-) I have it since a few days and tested it. Connect cable, turn on and select BigSiX in qjackctl or - as I do - use both interfaces with the audioadapter.
At the moment I have the mixer connected directly to the amp and I'm leaving it that way because the sound is Worlds better - I played of course immediately my E-Bass over it and positively marveled - as my currently used interface - a RME AIO. Computer goes then just about the mixer.

. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Looks like a seriously high quality piece of hardware. I much prefer having an actual mixer in front of the interface over the plethora of knob less interfaces that force you to scroll through software to make simple adjustments like switch on 48V or change impedance on an input.

4 thousand price tag here in Canada. I suspect I won't be getting one.

miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

When I see the Big SiX I want to win lotto. Is good to know that in Linux is possible run quality audio hardware too (if you have money :lol: )

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

bluzee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:03 pm

Looks like a seriously high quality piece of hardware. I much prefer having an actual mixer in front of the interface over the plethora of knob less interfaces that force you to scroll through software to make simple adjustments like switch on 48V or change impedance on an input.

4 thousand price tag here in Canada. I suspect I won't be getting one.

I agree, the best thing is with a mixer you can get true hardware zero latency monitoring regardless of what your buffer settings are in the software, so you don't have to push the system to the Xrun limits to reduce latency, turn up the hardware fader of the channel you're recording into, turn down the DAW Input monitoring and voila! no latency at any setting.. 8)

@khz
That's a beautiful piece of hardware! Glad to hear it's working so well, please share some recordings with us!

Last edited by GMaq on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

khz wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:20 pm

Yes. :-) I have it since a few days and tested it. Connect cable, turn on and select BigSiX in qjackctl or - as I do - use both interfaces with the audioadapter.

Wow lucky you! It looks amazing and I'm sure the SSL quality is still there. Unfortunately it also has an SSL pricetag! :D

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Yes, it is expensive. I had a Mackie 1604 mixer for decades, the difference is enormous. Money is there to spend and with musical instruments I rather not save. Have maybe 30 years to live. You hear and feel immediately (directness, dynamics, tidiness, haptics, logic of operation, ... audiophile aspects ...) that it was made with love and is sensibly thought out. It plays itself. Of course, it also makes sense to use a good amplifier and speakers. I can also recommend you a https://www.marleaux-bass.de/instrumente/votan/, which also works "out of the box". ;-)

:idea: I have found that everything in the chain when making music (instrument ... speakers) affects your music. Turn on >> make music.

To my shame I must confess that in the 40 years I have been making music I have never consciously recorded anything of mine and I very rarely play live. I often jam with friends for the moment. These magic moments I often can't and don't want to capture - as soon as you press record I play differently, it's no longer free and spontaneous, the head says: "Hey you record now" - especially since it's also rather classical modern, so colloquially possibly disharmonic, arythmic, exhausting soundscapes or annoying Spacerock. ... But these are rather philosophical aspects.

jimigrok

Post by jimigrok »

Wow nice to hear from you - reminds me a lot of me, i also had a mackie 1604 and now a BigSix. I needed a new soundcard (rme fireface 800 left channel was more silent than right), a loudspeaker knob in front of me, and good quality for my analog instruments. Until now i love it .. today i start with linux as recording os ...