Poweramps available in Linux

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Boone777
Established Member

Poweramps available in Linux

Post by Boone777 »

I installed Gx guitarix bundle to use in Reaper but I cant find any independent poweramp in it. Like what is the name of the poweramp in the bundle I would use with Redeye preamp ?

And also what are other native alternatives?

Last edited by Boone777 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulmerchant
Established Member

Re: Poweramps available in Linux

Post by paulmerchant »

I don't use Guitarix much these days, but I just started playing with https://guitarml.com/#products. I like some of the tones. And there are Linux native and open source plugins.

Boone777
Established Member

Post by Boone777 »

To my knowledge they don't have a separate poweramp.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

If I understand correctly, you installed the GxPlugins.lv2 package, which doesn't appear to have an independent poweramp plugin like the Guitarix Standalone package has. Is that correct?

I know that Guitarix standalone has the poweramp functionality because it is mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?t=21375&start=15

If all of this is true, and I am understanding everything correctly, I would recommend finding an alternative poweramp plugin that you could fit into your plugin chain where the poweramp should go. One option that I found comes from the Airwindows suite:

https://www.airwindows.com/powersag/

To my understanding, the most important part of the poweramp in amp modeling is modeling the sag response that comes from a real power amp. This plugin, I believe does that. Hopefully, it is the missing part you are searching for. :-)

Incidentally, to add to your guitar plugin tool kit, I highly recommend the rest of the Airwindows guitar plugins, as well as the the C* Audio Plugin Suite:

http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html

We've really got a good set of guitar tools if we know how to use them. :)

Boone777
Established Member

Post by Boone777 »

Thanks will try that.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

The GxPlugins.lv2 package includes 2 Power Amp, the GxCreamMachine and the GxPlexi.
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2

On the road again.
Boone777
Established Member

Post by Boone777 »

tramp wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:06 am

The GxPlugins.lv2 package includes 2 Power Amp, the GxCreamMachine and the GxPlexi.
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2

Thanks ! The naming might benefit from something more obvious. I mean Plexi sounds like Marshall preamp or amp I did not bother checking it out.

dan_flash
Established Member

Post by dan_flash »

Audiojunkie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:26 am

If I understand correctly, you installed the GxPlugins.lv2 package, which doesn't appear to have an independent poweramp plugin like the Guitarix Standalone package has. Is that correct?

I know that Guitarix standalone has the poweramp functionality because it is mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?t=21375&start=15

If all of this is true, and I am understanding everything correctly, I would recommend finding an alternative poweramp plugin that you could fit into your plugin chain where the poweramp should go. One option that I found comes from the Airwindows suite:

https://www.airwindows.com/powersag/

To my understanding, the most important part of the poweramp in amp modeling is modeling the sag response that comes from a real power amp. This plugin, I believe does that. Hopefully, it is the missing part you are searching for. :-)

Incidentally, to add to your guitar plugin tool kit, I highly recommend the rest of the Airwindows guitar plugins, as well as the the C* Audio Plugin Suite:

http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html

We've really got a good set of guitar tools if we know how to use them. :)

Just want to say thank you for providing this info, it's highly appreciated. I use a lot of Airwindows stuff myself (and support Chris on Patreon) but not used PowerSag before. Further, I installed the CAPS plugs a week ago but not made any time to explore them yet, although I will do soon because they look fantastic.

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Guitarix team has many poweramps, one is included in guitarix, it´s simply called "poweramp", but I personally use the JCM800PowA, it´s not included in guitarix by default, and although it´s experimental, I really like it :D , very soon I´ll make some videos demonstrating my tones, hopefully I´ve achieved some realistic tones :D

Cheers,

Rodney

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Rodney wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Guitarix team has many poweramps, one is included in guitarix, it´s simply called "poweramp", but I personally use the JCM800PowA, it´s not included in guitarix by default, and although it´s experimental, I really like it :D , very soon I´ll make some videos demonstrating my tones, hopefully I´ve achieved some realistic tones :D

Cheers,

Rodney

JCM800PowA??? I've got all the GxPlugins and JCM800PowA ain't part of it. Where can I get it?

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

I've tried the Guitarix creammachine and plexi plugins and I thought they sounded more like preamp plugins. There's lots of coloration, which doesn't really work after a preamp plugin that you intend to put before them. Airwindows powersag is a lot closer to the Ignite Amps TPA-1 poweramp plugin on Win / Mac (which I think is the most popular freely available poweramp sim). Powersag isn't intended as an amp sim though, at least it doesn't state that in the description on the Airwindows site, but it does the effect convincingly. I have it included in my virtual chain by default.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

funkmuscle wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:25 pm
Rodney wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Cheers,

Rodney

JCM800PowA??? I've got all the GxPlugins and JCM800PowA ain't part of it. Where can I get it?

It was never published. @Rodney is the only one ever get a copy.

Beside that, today I've done the first tests with a Juce port of guitarix to build vst3 and LV2 plug versions. Works out nicely so far:

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Oh Wow! So, you are the one of the developers of Guitarix? Very cool!

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Audiojunkie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Oh Wow! So, you are the one of the developers of Guitarix? Very cool!

Yes, I'm the founder and maintainer of the guitarix project. But, I didn't have done this port. This is done by Maxim Alexanian-Stetzenkov for windows and MAC.
https://github.com/maximalexanian/guitarix-vst

I've just started to bring that port back to linux. So far, works in Reaper and Ardour, but crash Carla.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Guitarix is a very cool (and very needed) project! Thank you for all of your hard work! The two biggest things that I need from the project is to have it be a plugin, and to have a GUI that scales up for HiDPI/high-resolution screens. That Juce image you posted looks to be working toward the two things I really need. Is that correct? :)