Pipewire system room correction plugin

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: Pipewire system room correction plugin

Post by lilith »

houston4444 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:28 pm

My RaySession ppa https://launchpad.net/~houston44/+archi ... raysession is very old, I should remove it, and it is now in ubuntu packages directly.
It is also present and up to date in LibraZiK4 (based on debian bullseye).
There is an AUR package, but this is connected to git master version (raysession-git), and not to the last release, this could be unsafe.

Of course, every new distribution package is welcome.

Indeed, normally, it is easy to build it from sources.

I just saw that QjackQTL has also a session manager meanwhile. :)

houston4444
Established Member

Post by houston4444 »

It uses Jack-Session which is deprecated. However, congratulations if you understand how it works ;).

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

lilith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:23 pm

If it works for your case, good!

NSM can do much more though: centralized saving, starting/stopping clients, showing/hiding GUIs, etc, etc. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

LAM wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:07 am
lilith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:23 pm

If it works for your case, good!

NSM can do much more though: centralized saving, starting/stopping clients, showing/hiding GUIs, etc, etc. :D

I didn't test it, so maybe it will not work for me. I thought that NSM is not developed anymore.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

lilith wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:54 pm

I didn't test it, so maybe it will not work for me. I thought that NSM is not developed anymore.

NSM and NSM frontends (and compatible) are still alive and updated, see:

https://github.com/jackaudio/new-session-manager

https://git.laborejo.org/lss/agordejo.git

https://github.com/Houston4444/RaySession

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I built RaySessions.

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Oh my goodness... It took me now one hour to load a LSP equalizer into Raysession with a config file. What actually works is:

The problem was, that there was a space character at the end of the executable

houston4444
Established Member

Post by houston4444 »

Ahah, there is no way no prevent that, ending a file name with a space is not forbidden.

I suggest to run your LSP plugin in Carla instead. Here, your plugin parameters won't be saved when you save the session.
That said, another problem can quickly exist with Carla and LSP, the JACK client name becomes to long for JACK (63 or 64 characters max), 'Carla-Multi-Client.Carla/LSP Parametric Equalizer Stereo' is Ok (56 characters).

houston4444
Established Member

Post by houston4444 »

I could do something, check if the executable exist, and color the field in red if it doesn't.

martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since there seems to be a number of people with room correction software experience on here, I wanted to throw this question in:

I'm currently considering upgrading the monitors of my small home studio setup. There are now more and more speakers with onboard room correction DSP. Personally, I'm looking at the Adam A4V. They're in the same price range as the Kali IN-5, which looks more capable in terms of output.

The question is, does the room correction DSP on the Adams make up for the lack of quality in output comparatively? I don't have any previous experience with room correction software. My home studio is located in my studio apartment, and room treatment is not possible. Would I benefit more from a high quality speaker, or from using room correction? Also, is it worth paying for DSP, vs using the plugins discussed in this thread?

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

For the Adam's you also need Windows or MacOS. I would buy a measurement mic and do the Room Correction part on the computer. Then you are independent of Sonarworks. And who guarantees that Sonarworks still works with the Adams in five years or so?

novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

martibs wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:32 am

<snip>.. room treatment is not possible. <snap>

Applying eq for the correction of reflections and resonances in a given room should really be the last resort. The less drastic eq moves you 'll have to make the better.
A good measurement and a useful interpretation of the results combined with reference listening is key to get to a useful strategy.
Sometimes there are ways of "room treatment" which are quite easy to apply and help a lot.
In this video you can see how the positioning of some ordinary pillows in the right places yields quite a bit of correction.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

novalix wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:48 am

Applying eq for the correction of reflections and resonances in a given room should really be the last resort. The less drastic eq moves you 'll have to make the better.

Agreed. Reflections are close to impossible to fix with eq. It can be useful for smoothing peaks created by room modes, although much less so for boosting frequencies with null spots. A combination of speaker positioning, soft furnishings, and correction EQ will get part of the way but proper acoustic treatment is best ( I'm in the same boat, rented unit so no permanent treatment and insufficient space even for effective bass traps).

martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Yes, I realize that accoustic treatment is the alternative which will yield the best results, the question is whether it is worth spending effort and/or money on room correction EQ in an environment where room treatment is not possible. But what I read from the feedback here is that it most likely isn't.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

martibs wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:28 pm

Yes, I realize that accoustic treatment is the alternative which will yield the best results, the question is whether it is worth spending effort and/or money on room correction EQ in an environment where room treatment is not possible. But what I read from the feedback here is that it most likely isn't.

It absolutely can get some improvement. My unit has a severe peak at around 125Hz at the listening position which is much improved by cutting that in EQ. It also has a dip at around 90Hz for which EQ is not very useful. Moving the speakers was more effective for that.
Sound varies considerably depending on position of speakers and listener (mine's awesome at the other end of the room but I can't work on the computer from there :roll: ). Rugs, cushions, blinds, bookcases etc. can help with reflections. Also my desk is covered with some old heavy stage curtain material and my EVE SC205s are raised on 200mm IsoAcoustics stands. Sound is acceptable except for that 90Hz dip.
Use all the available tools, each can possibly add some improvement. :wink:

For the mention above about EQ being on the computer or external, it shouldn't make much difference. With my current non-Pipewire setup I use the standalone JACK LSP PEQ over system output. I'm not familiar with the ADAM DSP but if it allows fine-grained filter control it should be effective. Another popular method is to use a MiniDSP between system and speakers. There's a good Warren Huart video showing how to tune a studio with REW and MiniDSP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RiuwqzjqlQ