Recently switched away from the *buntus

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Recently switched away from the *buntus

Post by MattKingUSA »

Anyone else switch away from the *buntus? Ever since Mandriva went out of business it's like I've used some sort of Ubuntu based distro. But recently I have switched over to Fedora.

The last few times that I had tried Fedora I really did not like it. But 36 and now 37 seem very stable.

I actually have not tried audio production on this system, aside from editing wav files in audacity and lmms tinkering.

I think, as far as a complete desktop product, Fedora is really shining. I've yet to build a dependency. haha

-Matt

-Matt :D

folderol
Established Member

Re: Recently switched away from the *buntus

Post by folderol »

I was using debian since 'Sarge', but took a quick look at ubuntu when it came out and didn't like it. More recently I switched to devuan (debian without systemd).
I run a pretty slimmed down environment.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I was using Ubuntu (mostly Xubuntu) something like 15 years, but now using Devuan.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I definitely like Devuan and Antix as well. I have a Devuan install on a Dell laptop from 2002. I don't really use the gui too much on it. :D

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I never tried any other distro then suse / opensuse.

This journey started with a dvd that came with a computer magazine.
It also had instructions on how to install suse, dual boot with windows (xp ?)

Was it version 9.3 ? I was not called opensuse yet but suse. I never felt the need to try any other distro, I love yast.

You can even screw up boot settings from a gui. :P

Ones installed Ubuntu and oh boy did I not like that desktop. I never used it long enough to give a substantiated opinion on Ubuntu though.

The only other distro I do sometimes consider is Arch. Then maybe I will learn to use the cli and how Linux truly works.
Seeing vids though and reading comments of former Arch users switching to openSUSE (tumbleweed) and being very happy, this might never happen.

I do blame openSUSE for me still sucking at the cli, but nobody is stopping me from using the cli, so I am to blame too.

It does always makes me smile when people think off all Linux users as computer wizards, that can type commands.
From the top of my head, I know about 5 commands max.
ls, cd, . , .., .\, (sudo) zypper dup
(and dir, although I learned that command from ms dos)
dir also works on an Atari ST btw. :P

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I have yet to try suse Linux but I do envy yast. I really like the mmc in Mandriva. I don't really care for the off shoots of Mandriva although Rosa labs had a great release in 2017 that I liked. Someone tried to get me to try suse on aim once. haha I never did try it though. It was like in 2002. I was like, no, I'm happy with Mandrake. I would still be using Mandriva if they hadn't died. I totally understand why you wouldn't leave suse. :D

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

I used to use Ubuntu and derivatives but I switched to Arch based stuff a few years or so back and much preferred it. Then recently, I switched to 'Nobara' which is a modified Fedora. I've never used Fedora or anything based on it before this. I found that in the first couple of days I had a couple of system lockups but it has been fine since. I think it was something to do with SELinux blocking the GUI package manager (due to a notification I got) but I'm not totally sure as SELinux is apparently in permissive mode Nobara. Anyway, I had some updates and then it was all fine.

So far it seems good but I'm now using GNOME instead of KDE and I'm really missing some of the KDE features; Mainly the ability to remember window sizes & positions plus all of your open windows after a reboot.

What's 37 like compared to 36? Nobara is still on 36..

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Only reason to stick w/ Ubuntu is because it's one of the few distro's that's supported by 3rd parties. Most non-Linux users think that Ubuntu is the same as Linux and vice versa. Sad but true. Like somebody else said: the default desktop theme has been an insult to its users since the very beginning. The color scheme gives you a head ache. Same goes for the Mate desktop: everything is green, just like in the army.

Had I known that the 'buntu's now use Snap (still don't care what the hell that is) I would have de-installed it immediately. Now I'm afraid to do so. I could have known: Ubuntu always tries to push some experimental shite on us that no other distro uses. Remember the Unity DE and Upstart? They have not been deprecated for nothing. Both SnAFU's, and now Snap. We won't see that again, everybody knows.

I'd rather use Debian but that's always so behing on software that you cannot install certain 3rd party stuff. I use Debian/XFCE on all my old laptops, old computers and hobby computers. Love it. But then again, I don't ever use the latest software on Debian.

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I have manjaro installed for a system installed purely for games. Initially I had the KDE spin , it constantly updated to the point of being annoying and after a few weeks something broke in the graphics that ruined games FPS so I replaced it with the XFCE and have had no problems since.

Otherwise I've only ever used Ubuntu. It's never caused me any technical problems. I am not a fan of snaps, so I have disabled them and use mozilla's repository to keep firefox updated. If in the next LTS snap is widespread then I would move.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Death wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:36 am

I used to use Ubuntu and derivatives but I switched to Arch based stuff a few years or so back and much preferred it. Then recently, I switched to 'Nobara' which is a modified Fedora. I've never used Fedora or anything based on it before this. I found that in the first couple of days I had a couple of system lockups but it has been fine since. I think it was something to do with SELinux blocking the GUI package manager (due to a notification I got) but I'm not totally sure as SELinux is apparently in permissive mode Nobara. Anyway, I had some updates and then it was all fine.

So far it seems good but I'm now using GNOME instead of KDE and I'm really missing some of the KDE features; Mainly the ability to remember window sizes & positions plus all of your open windows after a reboot.

Cant you install KDE ?
I can on openSUSE switch to gnome if I want. Yast, package groups, click on gnome. :mrgreen:

When installing openSUSE, you can choose at least 3 desktop.
KDE, Gnome and I think xfce. When going through Yast I even found mate, but I do not know if you can pick that one install all ready.

After some searching I found:
https://get.opensuse.org/desktop/

Many desktops, three by default

The openSUSE contribution process empowers desktop development for everybody, so you have the choice to pick your favourite one in the installer. We actively feature three desktop environments, and offer even more in the expanded software view within the installer.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 am

I'd rather use Debian but that's always so behing on software that you cannot install certain 3rd party stuff. I use Debian/XFCE on all my old laptops, old computers and hobby computers. Love it. But then again, I don't ever use the latest software on Debian.

I've been using Debian Stable (Bullseye) for nearly 2 years for both desktop and audio. Rarely bemoan not having the latest software and it works well with Pulseaudio > JACK > ALSA.
Right now I have a new install of siduction which is Debian Unstable with a few customisations by the devs and a few more by me. Trying to get my head around Pipewire. It is working well so far but there are a couple of niche things I want such as room correction EQ over system output (working well in Bullseye), which I have working but want to tweak a bit more. New topic coming up!

Never liked Ubuntu and even less now they are going snap-crazy.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

37 is just stable, I upgraded from 36 and it was perfect. I like Nobara too. I think it's an amazing gaming distro. I use it on some systems that I have. I'm very impressed with it. But honestly 37 is just stable. I'm not sure what all they did on the backend but I've experienced zero issues after the upgrade. Everything still works. It's amazing. :D

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 am

Only reason to stick w/ Ubuntu is because it's one of the few distro's that's supported by 3rd parties. Most non-Linux users think that Ubuntu is the same as Linux and vice versa. Sad but true. Like somebody else said: the default desktop theme has been an insult to its users since the very beginning. The color scheme gives you a head ache. Same goes for the Mate desktop: everything is green, just like in the army.

Had I known that the 'buntu's now use Snap (still don't care what the hell that is) I would have de-installed it immediately. Now I'm afraid to do so. I could have known: Ubuntu always tries to push some experimental shite on us that no other distro uses. Remember the Unity DE and Upstart? They have not been deprecated for nothing. Both SnAFU's, and now Snap. We won't see that again, everybody knows.

I completely agree. I actually did like their desktop a lot on 8.10 I thought it was very nice. However, open solaris totally put them to shame with their implementation of gnome. Ubuntu icon sizes in the bar were all over the place and open solaris was uniform and beautiful. haha

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Largos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 am

I have manjaro installed for a system installed purely for games. Initially I had the KDE spin , it constantly updated to the point of being annoying and after a few weeks something broke in the graphics that ruined games FPS so I replaced it with the XFCE and have had no problems since.

Otherwise I've only ever used Ubuntu. It's never caused me any technical problems. I am not a fan of snaps, so I have disabled them and use mozilla's repository to keep firefox updated. If in the next LTS snap is widespread then I would move.

I believe what I heard is that installing from the package manager gui would install snaps and the terminal didn't. But I don't know if they have changed that. I'm not sure what they're thinking over there. I assume it's expanding their testing base to help refine their server distro. They do make money on the support contracts. But, I have no idea. I just know it's a terrible idea. haha

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Gps wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Cant you install KDE ?
I can on openSUSE switch to gnome if I want. Yast, package groups, click on gnome. :mrgreen:

When installing openSUSE, you can choose at least 3 desktop.
KDE, Gnome and I think xfce. When going through Yast I even found mate, but I do not know if you can pick that one install all ready.

After some searching I found:
https://get.opensuse.org/desktop/

Many desktops, three by default

The openSUSE contribution process empowers desktop development for everybody, so you have the choice to pick your favourite one in the installer. We actively feature three desktop environments, and offer even more in the expanded software view within the installer.

I actually agree on the plasma being a better experience. I have moved to gnome myself, I noticed an 11-17 fps increase in games on gnome wayland. But, you can totally install KDE plasma in Nobara. The default Nobara desktop is a custom design, it's much better than gnome in my opinion. But it's not plasma.