Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: Recently switched away from the *buntus

Post by Largos »

MattKingUSA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:04 pm
Largos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 am

I have manjaro installed for a system installed purely for games. Initially I had the KDE spin , it constantly updated to the point of being annoying and after a few weeks something broke in the graphics that ruined games FPS so I replaced it with the XFCE and have had no problems since.

Otherwise I've only ever used Ubuntu. It's never caused me any technical problems. I am not a fan of snaps, so I have disabled them and use mozilla's repository to keep firefox updated. If in the next LTS snap is widespread then I would move.

I believe what I heard is that installing from the package manager gui would install snaps and the terminal didn't. But I don't know if they have changed that. I'm not sure what they're thinking over there. I assume it's expanding their testing base to help refine their server distro. They do make money on the support contracts. But, I have no idea. I just know it's a terrible idea. haha

There are a few programs, Firefox, Thunderbird and I think Chromium also they took out of their apt repositories and are "snap only". They have also made it so if you type "sudo apt install firefox" in that it installs the snap version unless you put in some heavy handed blocks. I had to remove snap and then blacklist it with apt because even if I installed firefox from the mozilla repo it would reinstall the snap version every update. If snap wasn't installed it would re-install snap as well. It was annoying but not as much hassle as switching distro.

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

On my new machine I have Debian only, the old one had Arch and Debian - so I could try Pipewire and all the latest stuff on one distro, but still have my stable one for normal "work" (I mean music, photography, and so on).

It's Debian stable with backports - that kernel 6.x helps with the newer hardware (AMD Zen3 with integrated graphics, and Intel WiFi), and since I'm supporting Ardour I also have 6.9 and 7.1 of their awesome DAW.

Tried to love Fedora several times, never worked for me. I should know it a bit, same as Red Hat, because I've been working for the guys who bought them...

But my wife and daughter both use Ubuntu (I think for the daughter it's UbuntuStudio), and they're happy with it, don't really have to support them.

more about me on my blog
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Gps wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Cant you install KDE ?

Yes I can :) There's instructions on how to do it on the Nobara website and it looks dead easy. They also do a KDE version so you don't have to. I'm just trying out GNOME for a while because I haven't used it since my Ubuntu days and had been using KDE ever since..

MattKingUSA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

37 is just stable, I upgraded from 36 and it was perfect. I like Nobara too. I think it's an amazing gaming distro. I use it on some systems that I have. I'm very impressed with it. But honestly 37 is just stable. I'm not sure what all they did on the backend but I've experienced zero issues after the upgrade. Everything still works. It's amazing. :D

Nice. Stability is always welcome :)

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Largos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:23 pm
MattKingUSA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:04 pm
Largos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 am

I have manjaro installed for a system installed purely for games. Initially I had the KDE spin , it constantly updated to the point of being annoying and after a few weeks something broke in the graphics that ruined games FPS so I replaced it with the XFCE and have had no problems since.

Otherwise I've only ever used Ubuntu. It's never caused me any technical problems. I am not a fan of snaps, so I have disabled them and use mozilla's repository to keep firefox updated. If in the next LTS snap is widespread then I would move.

I believe what I heard is that installing from the package manager gui would install snaps and the terminal didn't. But I don't know if they have changed that. I'm not sure what they're thinking over there. I assume it's expanding their testing base to help refine their server distro. They do make money on the support contracts. But, I have no idea. I just know it's a terrible idea. haha

There are a few programs, Firefox, Thunderbird and I think Chromium also they took out of their apt repositories and are "snap only". They have also made it so if you type "sudo apt install firefox" in that it installs the snap version unless you put in some heavy handed blocks. I had to remove snap and then blacklist it with apt because even if I installed firefox from the mozilla repo it would reinstall the snap version every update. If snap wasn't installed it would re-install snap as well. It was annoying but not as much hassle as switching distro.

Yeah, that's a very bad approach given the mistrust related to snap in general. :D

-Matt :D

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

wjl wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm

On my new machine I have Debian only, the old one had Arch and Debian - so I could try Pipewire and all the latest stuff on one distro, but still have my stable one for normal "work" (I mean music, photography, and so on).

It's Debian stable with backports - that kernel 6.x helps with the newer hardware (AMD Zen3 with integrated graphics, and Intel WiFi), and since I'm supporting Ardour I also have 6.9 and 7.1 of their awesome DAW.

Tried to love Fedora several times, never worked for me. I should know it a bit, same as Red Hat, because I've been working for the guys who bought them...

But my wife and daughter both use Ubuntu (I think for the daughter it's UbuntuStudio), and they're happy with it, don't really have to support them.

I currently have an RX 6400 in my main system and I had updated to 6.x kernel on Fedora 36 and had no issues. I'm not sure it offered much improvement on my specific GPU but it may have and I just didn't really notice. haha But I totally hear you on the multi distros on different machines. My kids have Linux Lite, Fedora and Nobara on their machines. They're all really little so they don't really know what that means. But they have been raised on free software and it's amazing all the work that goes into the programs that are available across all the Linux's. :D I had tried Fedora in the past as well and was not a fan. It wasn't until 36 that I was impressed enough to make it my new default. But, that's why we have distros, different needs for different use cases and people. I actually installed arch once and I found it wasn't for me. It felt like taking a step back from all the hard work that's gone into desktop Linux. With that said, I understand why it's such a successful Linux, people just love arch. :D

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

MattKingUSA wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 am

Yeah, that's a very bad approach given the mistrust related to snap in general. :D

I suspect they are gearing towards Canonical being bought out by Microsoft. Snaps are like .exe files which need .NET environment to run! :|

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

sunrat wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:13 am
MattKingUSA wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 am

I suspect they are gearing towards Canonical being bought out by Microsoft. Snaps are like .exe files which need .NET environment to run! :|

I know they've been positioning themselves since around 2018 to sell. So, not going to be a surprise if that happens. I would love to see Microsoft Desktop Linux. If anyone can make Linux more unrelatable to Linux users than Google has with Chrome, it would be Microsoft.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

wjl wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm

[...]

[completely off topic, sorry couldn't help myself] A complete Linux family? Wow! Some of my friends who work in IT don't even have experience w/ Linux at work or study. Let alone their family. And you're an all Debian family. What do you think of people (who start with Linux) who use "exotic" non-main stream distro's? Would you be able to help 'm with problems?

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:17 am

[completely off topic, sorry couldn't help myself] A complete Linux family? Wow! Some of my friends who work in IT don't even have experience w/ Linux at work or study. Let alone their family. And you're an all Debian family. What do you think of people (who start with Linux) who use "exotic" non-main stream distro's? Would you be able to help 'm with problems?

And yes, we're kind of a Linux family. I once asked our daughter if she would prefer having Windows or MacOS (because I assumed they might use that in her high school classes), but her reply was: "No, all good, I like it". And by the way, my brother - also a bass player - is using Debian now as well and our aunt (born in 1940) is using Ubuntu.

As for the "exotic" non-main stream distros, well... I started with Suse (like many people in Germany at the time I think), and because I found their YaST to be a bit exotic - no other distros had it - I switched to Red Hat later. But that was both a bit too commercial for me, and I went through that RPM hell at the time when I tried to install a Ximian Gnome desktop (very exotic at that time), and ran into circular dependencies which Red Hat couldn't handle at all...

... so off I went to try some of the BSDs, and learnt a bit about good package management. After a brief stint into Gentoo (building things like Netscape Navigator or Mozilla overnight), the youngest colleague in a healthcare IT shop where I started (to port their CVS on Solaris to something on Windows) suggested to try Debian. And that was it, for me. I wanted to "give back" somehow, and came in contact with the Debian folks first in Oldenburg, later in Munich and elsewhere, and helped out manning their booths at FOSDEM, or spoke for them at Linuxtag.

I've seen other distributions and like I wrote earlier, also tried Arch, but honestly, you don't need that many - even the rolling release nature of Arch can be had easily with using Debian Sid, or, for a bit more peace of mind, "testing" instead of "unstable". At work (IBM) we were forced to switch to either Fedora or Red hat after they bought it, so with a heavy sigh I did that.

So what do I think of people using "exotic" non main-stream distros? Well that's entirely their choice of course, and having a choice is always good. Would I be able to help? Probably not so much with exotic package managers (do they exist?), but all in all Linux is Linux, the kernels aren't that different mostly, and neither are the userspace tools... At work I had to circumnavigate problems I wouldn't have had when using Debian or at least Ubuntu, but ok... that's life, and management (in fact it was the marketing guys) sometimes sucks. ;)

Hope that answers the question(s)? Thanks for your interest, and
Cheers,
Wolfgang

P.S.: forgot - one of my sons from my first marriage is a games developer, and his suggestion some years ago was to try Arch - so I did that... :)

more about me on my blog
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@wjl: Thank you for your kind reply. (I'll stay on-topic now) :)

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

MattKingUSA wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:22 pm

I definitely like Devuan and Antix as well. I have a Devuan install on a Dell laptop from 2002. I don't really use the gui too much on it. :D

Does antix work with KXstudio?

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

lilith wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:55 pm

I definitely like Devuan and Antix as well. I have a Devuan install on a Dell laptop from 2002. I don't really use the gui too much on it. :D

I don't know honestly. You could ask the Antix User on the thread. I'm sure they would know. Hmm, I had to edit this. Do we have any Antix users on the thread? haha I don't know for sure, but I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

MattKingUSA wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:32 pm

I don't know honestly. You could ask the Antix User on the thread. I'm sure they would know. Hmm, I had to edit this. Do we have any Antix users on the thread? haha I don't know for sure, but I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks, Im testing AVLinux at the moment, which looks very promising for my need.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

lilith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:19 pm
MattKingUSA wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:32 pm

Thanks, Im testing AVLinux at the moment, which looks very promising for my need.

That's like one of the best distros to use if you're on LM. Gmaq is on the board somewhere..haha and many others have lots of knowledge too.

MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:35 pm

So, lets agree here, there is no THE BEST and, there is no the best linux distribution for Musicians.
Musicians are not all the same....there are smart and naive linux musicians, there are rich and poor musicians, there are musicians who are focusing on real time recording and pushing the latency down and there are linux musicians who are givin a S$%& about latency.
There are musicians who want a seperate system, only for making music and there are, again linux musicians who dont care much about anything - they would want one machine for all tasks.
So, to make things short:

take the long way home

Beautifully stated.