Reaper with CLAP support

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Reaper with CLAP support

Post by sysrqer »

If you use bitwig then you can use voice stacking with CLAP plugins like you can with the native devices. It's very useful.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Largos wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:12 am

As far as I see, they want to make a plugin format on their own terms for devs, that make plugins that will work mostly on windows and mac, that they control. Working with existing devs on a format that is almost only used on Linux does not fit into this. People are probably conning themselves in their minds that plugin makers that only providing for Windows and Mac will start providing for Linux with this. They won't, the issue is financial not technical.

CLAP is a nice open format for devs making closed plugins. They see the benefit but users are not having it. :lol:

CLAP is the best opportunity for linux devs to interact with the mainstream braintrust, several of whom have created
linux versions of important products. If you want linux musicians to remain a small subset of the computer based musicians,
keep laughing, and keep promoting projects with dozens or a few hundred users. People tend to get the status quo they aim for.

Most windows plugins already can be used effectively in linux. Devs switching to a superior and open-source plugin format
will only help that good situation to improve.
Cheers

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

glowrak guy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:22 pm

CLAP is the best opportunity for linux devs to interact with the mainstream braintrust, several of whom have created
linux versions of important products. If you want linux musicians to remain a small subset of the computer based musicians,
keep laughing, and keep promoting projects with dozens or a few hundred users. People tend to get the status quo they aim for.

Most windows plugins already can be used effectively in linux. Devs switching to a superior and open-source plugin format
will only help that good situation to improve.
Cheers

"the mainstream braintrust" :lol: :lol: :lol:

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The linux braintrust is also deep, so many with university studies, and many with
empassioned personal studies, and products that reveal such understanding.

I just hope for wider exposure of such work and talent, so that for example,
people not in first-world economies, will have broader access to audio tools,
which will not become MORE expensive, as an opensource format gets a stronger
foothold in the music industries.

Some people are very excited about the combination of CLAP, Bitwig, and U-he Hive 2,
enabling synthesis tech not previously affordable, if even possible.
I see a brighter future as such linux-savvy devs collaborate.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

You just scornfully mentioned "projects with dozens or a few hundred users" who generally offer their FOSS software for no up front cost but yeah I am sure two proprietary software companies who sell their products for hundreds are going to champion software affordability for the third world. Until Bitwig and U-he open source their products, who can take their open format blah blah seriously. Especially Bitwig, considering what they tried to pull on their customers recently. These are the reliable alternative to Steinberg....

If you care about Linux devs and affordability, don't wish for a situation where lots of overpriced proprietary crap is ported to Linux. It can stay on windows and mac.

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

Are there any CLAP plugins yet?

https://www.acmt.co.uk/

Now VST2, VST3, CLAP and JACK.

I regularly post about these just about everywhere, but it seems there is a google-proof forcefield surrounding them despite my best efforts, so if you try them and you like them, spread the message :)

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

On the distribution side can anyone tell me where system-wide CLAP Plugins are supposed to be placed on a Linux system, please tell me it's something sensible like /usr/lib/clap/...?

I already had Mike's latest ACM Plugins (minus the CLAP and JACK standalone versions) locked and loaded for the next AVL ISO release but with this new development with Reaper support I may change that last-minute but I'd need to know where the DAW's will look for them and it has to be system-wide not in the User's home folder..

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:05 am

Are there any CLAP plugins yet?

https://www.acmt.co.uk/

Now VST2, VST3, CLAP and JACK.

I regularly post about these just about everywhere, but it seems there is a google-proof forcefield surrounding them despite my best efforts, so if you try them and you like them, spread the message :)

Proprietary I'm guessing?

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

On the distribution side can anyone tell me where system-wide CLAP Plugins are supposed to be placed on a Linux system, please tell me it's something sensible like /usr/lib/clap/...?

I haven't been able to find an official reference in the spec, but Reaper (and Bitwig) which are the only two CLAP hosts I have at the moment search /usr/lib/clap for system-wide installs (and ~/.clap for local)

Proprietary I'm guessing?

Yes

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Largos wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am

You just scornfully mentioned "projects with dozens or a few hundred users" who generally offer their FOSS software for no up front cost but yeah I am sure two proprietary software companies who sell their products for hundreds are going to champion software affordability for the third world. Until Bitwig and U-he open source their products, who can take their open format blah blah seriously. Especially Bitwig, considering what they tried to pull on their customers recently. These are the reliable alternative to Steinberg....

If you care about Linux devs and affordability, don't wish for a situation where lots of overpriced proprietary crap is ported to Linux. It can stay on windows and mac.

There's no scorn in the numbers, they are simply objective realities. And have been for ages, and will be for ages more,
as long as linux musicians demand that people with careers and businesses open source their life's work.

The open format is simply better for everyone except the owners of vst3. Market demand and competition determine pricing.
To generate product sales, you must have the better product, or be priced low enough that when consumers compare,
enough will buy the lower priced product, to sustain the business, with customers tolerating the difference in quality,
should that be the case.

Victims of 3rd world dictatorships rarely have computers, let alone a plugin to power them, or charge batteries.
Which is why I used the phrase, 'people not in first world economies'. There are musicians that are financially limited
but still with access to some level of computing. They may never have dozens or hundreds of softwares, but music worth
hearing twice, can be made with one or two, and requires work, passion, and giftedness, which we all have in different measure,
and which is not sold in shops, is not downloadable, and which has no source code, open or otherwise.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Largos wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am

...overpriced proprietary crap...

How about listing 20 examples of "...overpriced proprietary crap..." that has been ported to linux.

I'd like to make sure I haven't wasted my money.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

I don't understand why it would be a bad thing to have propietary tools alongside open source tools? A really strange idea and violates the idea of free choice. Each coder of the program is free to decide on licensing and whether to distribute it to everyone for free or make it paid. Absurd restrictions and narrow-mindedness take us back to the Middle Ages. And the witches are burning again.

You also have the freedom not to buy or not to use, or use and buy. But why take that right away from others?

However, standards should always be free for use by all of humanity, in order to ensure continuous development. Diversity enables real development. Open your mind. :)

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:01 pm

A really strange idea and violates the idea of free choice.

As a user I am interested in having free choice over how the software I use runs, and what it does. If the software is proprietary then the developer has made the choice to restrict me and I have no intention of supporting that choice.

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:01 pm

free or make it paid

Price is irrelevant. The only software I will pay for is free software.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:47 pm

There's no scorn in the numbers, they are simply objective realities. And have been for ages, and will be for ages more,
as long as linux musicians demand that people with careers and businesses open source their life's work.

There is nothing objective about your straw man arguments. You implied that supporting small projects keeps linux using musicians in a minority. That's some utter shit you're talking there. There's no polite way to say it.

I am not demanding anyone open source anything. It's just hypocritical for devs of proprietary software to bang on about the positives of them being able to use open formats.

The open format is simply better for everyone except the owners of vst3. Market demand and competition determine pricing.
To generate product sales, you must have the better product, or be priced low enough that when consumers compare,
enough will buy the lower priced product, to sustain the business, with customers tolerating the difference in quality,
should that be the case.

A FOSS product is a better product.

Victims of 3rd world dictatorships rarely have computers, let alone a plugin to power them, or charge batteries.
Which is why I used the phrase, 'people not in first world economies'. There are musicians that are financially limited
but still with access to some level of computing. They may never have dozens or hundreds of softwares, but music worth
hearing twice, can be made with one or two, and requires work, passion, and giftedness, which we all have in different measure,
and which is not sold in shops, is not downloadable, and which has no source code, open or otherwise.

Yeah, everyone outside the western world rides around on horses and shits in buckets. :roll:

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:57 pm

How about listing 20 examples of "...overpriced proprietary crap..." that has been ported to linux.

I'd like to make sure I haven't wasted my money.

I don't know whether you wasted money but you missed the point.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Largos wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Price is irrelevant. The only software I will pay for is free software.

You are free to do what you want with your money, your time, your life. As long as you act with respect for the law and according to good manners, I encourage you to do so. :)

Remember to live well and try to enjoy the journey.

Last edited by sjzstudio on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.