Behringer XR18 connection via Ethernet LAN and WIFI at the same time

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hdr
Established Member

Behringer XR18 connection via Ethernet LAN and WIFI at the same time

Post by hdr »

I have connected the Behringer XR16 digital mixer via Ethernet LAN to a computer. The LAN setting of the XR18 is set to DHCP Server. On the computer the checkbox Use this connection only for resources on its network is activated in the IPv4 Routes settings.

This way the computer has as stable wired connection to the XR18 via Ethernet and is connected to the internet via wifi at the same time.
Downside: it's not possible to connect to the XR18 via wifi with any other devices like tablets or mobile phones.
Is it possible to set this up somehow?

bluzee
Established Member

Re: Behringer XR18 connection via Ethernet LAN and WIFI at the same time

Post by bluzee »

You can only have one DHCP server on your network.

My suggestion would be to set X18 as client and then configure your wifi router to assign it a static IP address so that it can be easily found by every device on your local network. Failing that try to configure the X18 network setting to manual and use an IP that is within your local network but not in the range that the DHCP server on your wifi router will assign.

Example if your wifi router is located at 192.168.0.1 it is probably assigning addresses in the range of 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200. In X18 config you could use 192.168.0.50 perhaps. Catch is that you have to remember doing this and not use that IP again on any other device.
Every device has a hosts file that can be edited to give a name to the IP address to make it easier to remember. In Linux it's at /etc/hosts

X18 eth cable will need to be plugged into switch port on wifi router or separate switch same as computer.

hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

unfortunately I don't have access to the wifi router, I only have the wifi password.

As the copmuter has both wifi and lan, is it possible to make the computer share the lan connection to XR18 with additional devices via wifi?

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@hdr@ I wonder if the DHCP server on the XR18 can be configured to use a different subnet than your main router? E.g., if it hands out addresses in the 192.168.2.* subnet, while your Wifi router uses 192.168.1.*, then your computer would be able to "straddle" the two networks (I think). Your wireless devices would need to connect to the XR18's wifi to manage it, and then switch back to the router's wifi for normal usage.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

If you don't need internet access while using the XR18 then that's probably the simplest solution. Set the XR18 up as a wifi access point. Devices can connect to it via wifi and the eth cable should work to the computer.

If you want everything connecting to existing wifi and a separate network between your computer eth and the XR18 eth I think that will require a bridge to be configured on the computer between the eth device and the wlan device. I don't think this is very hard to do, but I don't have any bridge building experience. Should be able to google a howto.

hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

bluzee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:23 am

Set the XR18 up as a wifi access point. Devices can connect to it via wifi and the eth cable should work to the computer.

Are you sure, it's possible to connect via ethernet cable in access point mode?

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Nope. Not sure. It would be expected behavior for an access point but I don't know what Behringer did with their firmware. If it doesn't then you would have to get another wifi router access point. Put XR18 as eth client. Connect it and computer to it's lan ports. Connect wireless devices to it's wifi. Internet would come from other wifi router into it's wan port.

Other option remains. Make direct eth connection between XR18 and computer. Configure bridge and routing between eth and wlan networks on computer.

If you can get a eth cable through to the lan port on existing wifi router then all you would need is a switch. XR18 eth client mode, computer eth and eth from wifi router all plug into switch. Everything is on the same network.

Second wifi router that can be set to client mode on wifi radio with XR and computer plugged into it's lan ports might also work.