Scarlett + Helix + Reaper sound artifacts

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nasedase
Established Member

Scarlett + Helix + Reaper sound artifacts

Post by nasedase »

I have a unique use case, I have the Helix audio piped to my scarlett, so I can use that to record guitar and vocals, but I like to use the Helix USB in conjunction to record, since that provides a dry DI input for me to record. The only issue is that when I have both these interfaces routed to reaper, one of them will inevitable have unusable audio. I've tested various sample rates and pipewire / wireplumber settings to the same result. As soon as I disconnect one, the sound for the other will be normal. I then tested recording recording the scarlett in reaper and helix routed to a carla program simultaneously, and the sound for both was normal, so It seems to be an issue with the having both routed to Reaper. Currently pipewire is set to 1024/48000. The reason I'd want both is because I also use the scarlett for voice, it'll be a pain to re-route everything once I want to record vocals. Any ideas or workarounds for this?

Here's an example of the routing where both are attempting to be recorded:

tseaver
Established Member

Re: Scarlett + Helix + Reaper sound artifacts

Post by tseaver »

@nasedase
I wouldn't recommend trying to use the two separate USB interfaces that way, unless they can both be configured to support a shared "word clock" (master time signal). The Scarlett 18i20 can do this (I have a second 8x8 IO box which connects to the Scarlett over ADAT, and needs a word clock connection from the Scarlett's "Word Clock Out" to its "Word Clock In"). I don't know the Helix product line at all, and so don't know whether your device might have that feature.

As an alternative, you could put a simple, passive DI box in front of the Helix, and route its "parallel out" to the Helix input: the XLR out from the DI can then go to one of your XLR inputs on the Scarlett.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Looks like even Helix has multiple channels. Is it possible to configure helix to send both effected and raw signals?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

nasedase
Established Member

Post by nasedase »

tseaver wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:30 am

@nasedase
I wouldn't recommend trying to use the two separate USB interfaces that way, unless they can both be configured to support a shared "word clock" (master time signal). The Scarlett 18i20 can do this (I have a second 8x8 IO box which connects to the Scarlett over ADAT, and needs a word clock connection from the Scarlett's "Word Clock Out" to its "Word Clock In"). I don't know the Helix product line at all, and so don't know whether your device might have that feature.

As an alternative, you could put a simple, passive DI box in front of the Helix, and route its "parallel out" to the Helix input: the XLR out from the DI can then go to one of your XLR inputs on the Scarlett.

Helix LT has midi Clock send and receive, but not wordclock. I know Mac has aggregate interface solutions, and I felt like Pipewire Jack could be a similar soultion. It was very close to working, just that the sound of one interface would be unusable. This makes me think there could be something done to make them both work in conjunction. Perhaps going back to full Jack / Alsa instead of Pipewire.

I have thought of getting a simple DI box, but I like the perfect balance of the helix's USB inputs. Basically the only thing I'd need the scarlett for is Microphone. At the moment, I'm recording mic separately after I've done guitar work. Not really a full solution, though.

nasedase
Established Member

Post by nasedase »

tavasti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:18 am

Looks like even Helix has multiple channels. Is it possible to configure helix to send both effected and raw signals?

Yes I'm currently doing that, I just want the scarlett as well because I use it for microphone.