Focusrite Scarlett Solo stopped working on Ubuntu 20.04

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nyoshiuchi
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett Solo stopped working on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by nyoshiuchi »

Hi folks, my Focusrite Scarlett Solo stopped working yesterday, I assume there was some update that caused this issue. I had been using it as a class compliant device with no issues up until this point.

I checked dmesg and saw that the Focusrite Gen 2/3 Driver was disabled. Following the instructions here: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... 2/releases I created /etc/modprode.d/scarlett.conf and rebooted. After a reboot I see the following in dmesg:

Code: Select all

$ dmesg | grep -i scarlett
[    7.134207] usb 1-3.1.1: Product: Scarlett Solo USB
[   13.605064] scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Scarlett Welcome Disk     0.10 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[  177.487940] usb 1-3.1.1: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2/3 Mixer Driver enabled pid=0x8211

However when I open alsamixer I do not see the device listed. It is not listed in the Ubuntu settings nor in pavucontrol.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with Kernel 5.14.0-1054-oem

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux nyoshiuchi 5.14.0-1054-oem #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 14 13:05:50 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal

I am not able to update Ubuntu and I can only used kernels provided by Canonical.

Can anyone help me debug this? Either get the Scarlett drivers working or get the device to work with the standard audio drivers as a class compliant device.

nyoshiuchi
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Solo stopped working on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by nyoshiuchi »

Update: This is on a work computer, and I just found out that a company wide policy blocking USB mass storage devices was rolled out the day the device stopped working. I have tried turning off mass storage mode by holding down the 48v button for 5 seconds but that hasn't seemed to work. Is there another way to turn of mass storage?

nyoshiuchi
Established Member

Post by nyoshiuchi »

Final update - I didn't realize I needed to hold down the button while plugging it in. I have successfully resolved my issue.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@nyoshiuchi

I didn't realize I needed to hold down the button while plugging it in. I have successfully resolved my issue.

Glad it is working for you! I don't know how it could happen, but it seems that your Solo got put back to the factory-default "Easy Start mode," in which it functions as a small, read-only USB drive to get the user registration done, and provide the manual. Holding down the phantom power ("48V") button during boot disables that mode, as described in the manual:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... 20V2_0.pdf

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
herrylauu

Post by herrylauu »

Additionally, it appears to have been well tested on Linux, as multiple users have reported that the gadget simply functions.

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

tseaver wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:43 am

@nyoshiuchi

I didn't realize I needed to hold down the button while plugging it in. I have successfully resolved my issue.

Glad it is working for you! I don't know how it could happen, but it seems that your Solo got put back to the factory-default "Easy Start mode," in which it functions as a small, read-only USB drive to get the user registration done, and provide the manual. Holding down the phantom power ("48V") button during boot disables that mode, as described in the manual:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... 20V2_0.pdf

A reason not to buy it