Be a Square

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Be a Square

Post by baconature »

Hey out there in LinuxMusicians land,

I wrote then composed this silly little nonsense song last month. I then decided to record it. Give it a listen if you wish.

https://thomasepeterson.com/mp3/Be_a_Square.mp3

Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
folderol
Established Member

Re: Be a Square

Post by folderol »

Fun track :lol:

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I agree with folderol, it's a fun song. Your vocals could move a little more to the front, after all they are a main part. :) Otherwise good playing and processing of your guitars and bass. Very much a period piece.

--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I like the singing very much! I agree with @jeanette_c that you could probably move the voice further to the front.

Also the bass (?) is a little muddled (right word?).

On the other hand the song has a really nice live-feeling to it that I enjoy!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Thanks to all for listening, as well as the comments. I doubt that I will address this song further, and call it done. I take notice of what was said in any regard and appreciate both the thought and the time to comment. I agree that the bass is muddy, but that issue is something I don't know what to do to change its sound. I don't have an amp for it, and I think this recording was done through direct input, bass --> pre-amp --> Focusrite Scarlett --> Ardour. I normally use MIDI for bass tracks, but this time I used a bass guitar that I don't really know much about. I may need to add Guitarix to the connection chain to use some of its bass features in the future. I don't play bass enough to do it well, honestly.

Well thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
kamiluni
Established Member

Post by kamiluni »

Hi, very funny song, its sound is really human and appreciable. :D
I agree with all to move more in front the voice!
Thanks for share.
KL

Linux OS: Manjaro
Intruments: Yamaha MODX8; Korg Nautilus; Yamaha Tyros 3, Akai Force, Korg ModWave, Upright bass, Electric bass
Audio Card: MOTU M4
Monitors: Yamaha HS8, Auratone, M-Audio BX5, PreSonus Eris E3.5
Engineer and Musician

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I like your vocals, you should record them more often :D

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Really cool track! I'll go against the current and say that I think the vocals are fun where they are, IMHO: they give a "live execution" kind of vibe to the song, as if I were listening to you in a pub with friends. Looking forward to more songs from you!

baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Hey all,

I missed the last few posts to the thread until now. Having been ill for 7 weeks now, life just goes by without my paying much attention to outside influences.

As is always true, I like reception of the comments intended to assist in doing it better going forward. I do have a lot more to learn about the production of music. In truth you guys are almost the only outside influence that I receive. I no longer get out in public very much to say nothing about presenting my music to others.

As to the vocals, i have done a lot of vocal works in the past throughout my time. Presently however, there are over 70 of my songs presented on my website. The styles there in very quite a lot. None the less I find it difficult doing it all alone, for the most part. I live rather far from what we would term civilization, living in a quite remote location where like minded folk are scarce, Between the location and my odd personality type, I tend to remain quite alone in my quest toward music.

I suppose that my limited ability at playing really well also plays its roll. The other aspects of life also, growing old with disabilities also contributes to the overall complexity in recording my music well. For me to play well, i have to practice daily. At present illness has removed that possibility. So the delay extends. I have many songs trapped in want for instrumental fills, and the such. just hanging around inside this computer, on the edge of completion, yet somehow beyond reach at present.

I am now strongly at work learning to play the banjo (3 finger picking style) well enough to add some dominant tracks in half a dozen songs or so, with more kind of identified as candidates for the future. I have been writing songs for over 50 years and there are many yet to raise to the level of recording them. Any way, if I can live long enough to get more of these songs done, I shall be pleased. This music stuff is a grand passion to me, yet it is at present sort of beyond reach.

Again thanks for the comments. I pay attention to what is said by members here. I consider this sight important in my quest toward improving my own musical presentations. I'd much rather have real time assistance on a personal level, but for me, that is pretty much beyond expectation at this point. One goal is found in the joy of the process. A secondary goal is to share what I do with others, freely. I shall continue moving forward with these musical projects as time allows.

Live well with music in your lives,

Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music