How to install and configure JACK on pipewire distro?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

miuzik
Established Member

How to install and configure JACK on pipewire distro?

Post by miuzik »

Now I'm trying Pop_OS 22.04. It is a pipewire distro, like Fedora 36. I've tried configure pipewire for audio production and it's a really cool audio server. It can detect jack apps and can connect them but some issues appear. I really think that pipewire will be a powerful tool for audio creators, but it needs time. For a casual user (internet, videocalls, music player) is the best solution in Linux, now.

But music production is a different story, so, I want to return to the JACK way, but I can't find a nice guide to realize it. I need use pure JACK experience for music creation tools, maybe use pipewire for when use internet or listen music while write a email (I don't know if is possible has pipewire and jack2 at the same time). Pop-OS is a Ubuntu derivate, and Ubuntu 22.10 is a pipewire distro, so I think that solution of my problem can be useful for many people.

How to install and configure JACK on a pipewire distro (ubuntu derivates)?

LAM
Established Member

Re: How to install and configure JACK on pipewire distro?

Post by LAM »

miuzik wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:01 am

But music production is a different story, so, I want to return to the JACK way, but I can't find a nice guide to realize it. I need use pure JACK experience for music creation tools, maybe use pipewire for when use internet or listen music while write a email (I don't know if is possible has pipewire and jack2 at the same time). Pop-OS is a Ubuntu derivate, and Ubuntu 22.10 is a pipewire distro, so I think that solution of my problem can be useful for many people.

How to install and configure JACK on a pipewire distro (ubuntu derivates)?

I did this process, JACK > PW > JACK, at least 5 times on Debian Sid.

I just followed the Debian Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire

I don't know if Pop-OS has some difference, but should at least be similar.

You don't need to uninstall anything, this is what I do to switch back to pure JACK2:

Code: Select all

systemctl --user --now disable wireplumber.service
systemctl --user --now disable pipewire.service pipewire-pulse.service pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
sudo rm -rf /etc/ld.so.conf.d/pipewire-jack-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
sudo ldconfig
sudo apt install jackd2

Then you can start JACK and it will/should work.
Note that /etc/ld.so.conf.d/pipewire-jack-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf could be different on your distro.

To re-enable Pulseaudio you should reinstall it, if not already installed, and probably you want to install the PA-JACK bridge module too, pulseaudio-module-jack:

sudo apt install pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-jack 
systemctl --user --now enable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket

and reboot.

For starting the PA-JACK bridge there are already different topics explaining that on the forum.
The command I have in Qjackctl startup is:

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out;

Hope it helps.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I don't want to be a nuisance but why Pop_OS if it's an Ubuntu derivative? I'd go for an Ubuntu LTS (long term support) release like 22.04 'Jammy'. Lots of people use it and its forum must have thousands of members. Just my opinion.

Anyway, if you wanna stick w/ PopOS, no problem. Good luck. :)

miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:18 pm

I don't want to be a nuisance but why Pop_OS if it's an Ubuntu derivative? I'd go for an Ubuntu LTS (long term support) release like 22.04 'Jammy'. Lots of people use it and its forum must have thousands of members. Just my opinion.

Well, Pop_OS has some very interesting differences. The first: no snap by default.

@LAM thanks for your mini tutorial. But I have bad news. You can't install pulseaudio on Pop_OS. I don't know if in Ubuntu 22.10 you have the same situation or even on Fedora. But pipewire by default is pipewire by default, you can't back.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

miuzik wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:41 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:18 pm

Well, Pop_OS has some very interesting differences. The first: no snap by default.

A very, very good reason to not use Ubuntu! Had I known from "snap" then I would have studied how to completely disable taht and remove the snap stuff that comes per default with Ubuntu. No I'm stuck with "some" snap stuff that I don't dare to remove because I'm afraid I'll end up w/ a unworkable system (Gnome is one of the snap tings on my system).

miuzik wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:41 pm

@LAM thanks for your mini tutorial. But I have bad news. You can't install pulseaudio on Pop_OS. I don't know if in Ubuntu 22.10 you have the same situation or even on Fedora. But pipewire by default is pipewire by default, you can't back.

That's what I meant with "help & support". For the "old" well known distro's it's very easy to find info & help. Wanna know if Pulseaudio is still a part of Ubuntu? See here:

https://packages.ubuntu.com

And lo and behold, it's still there in the Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudo" repo's. Had you asked this question for Pop_OS I wouldn't have been able to answer your question. That's doesn't mean that the answer can't be found, but in general Linuxers have more knowledge about distro's that have a large user base and long history. :)

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

If it's based on Ubuntu it seems odd that you can't disable and mask Pipewire and then enable pulse. If Pop has changed things that much I would give it a pass.

Linux Mint is also snap free and you can still use pulse/Jack.

briangard

Post by briangard »

I ALSO want to return to the JACK way.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

briangard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:17 am

I ALSO want to return to the JACK way.

:?: