Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Do you have a plan B???

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:34 pm

News are getting worser everyday.
Do you think a plan B is a good idea?
Did your thoughts about a plan B chanced within the last three years?
Are you afraid of a world war?
Are you afraid of a nuclear war?
What would be a good plan B?

Sure it is good to be prepared to various things, but there is limit what kind of things you can handle. I've more prepared (mentally and by stuff I have) to various situations. Having still plans what to fix during next year, but not in hurry.

Regarding world war, not afraid. Here in russian neighbour it does not make much difference is it local or world war. Or maybe world war would be easier, because russians will be fighting everybody, so they don't have enough resources for Finland. And to be honest, they are draining nearly all of their resources, so not so much to fear.

Nuclear war, I trust that not even russians are that stupid. And even if they would be, most likely their weapons would not work, somebody sold too many parts to get vodka.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:55 pm

As far as I am informed, Russia is still burning the gas that is now produced but not sold anymore.
Which means they are burning the gas that Germany and some other countries in Europe consumed every day, so it must be really a big amount of gas that goes up in flames every day.
I think this is allready an extreme situation and its not comparable to dropping a bomb...but its allready on the same level of insantiy - or am I wrong, here?

It is nasty, but it is not on same level. It will not cause immediate crisis globally. And to compared Turkmenistan 'Gates of Hell' crater, that is temporary problem.

And there is possibly some rationale on that burning also (if assuming we won't sell that gas is taken as fact):

• stopping those gas sources might be such that russia could not start production again without western help
  • stopping gas flow might be impossible, and letting that gas to atmosphere would be worse than burning it

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am not too worried about the Russian sending nukes.
No matter if they nuke Europa or the USA, they themself will be getting a lot of radioactive radiation.

I am worried about certain leaders though, who seem to think its a good idea to provoke Russia.

I can't make sense of what the leaders are doing.

My country , who has gas, is buying for many years gas from Russia. Already since 1966.

Now we have people who can't pay their gas-bills anymore.

All I here from the media, is that all is Russia's fault.

What is wrong with our media, what happened to critical thinking and critical journalist's ?

I am not saying Putin is the good guy but wtf is going on.

Unless some conspiracy nuts were right all along.
Our financial system is collapsing....

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:35 pm

I am worried about certain leaders though, who seem to think its a good idea to provoke Russia.

Nobody has provoked russia. Russia has at least ten years built story how Ukraine does not exist, illegally annexed areas there, and now attacked for more. In 2014 west reacted those annexations very mildly, and now russia did what it did. Russia does not honor any agreements, it honors only force. Russia has agreed to guarantee Ukrane safety when Ukraine gave away nuclear weapons, and here it is. Russia does not honor Geneva Conventions but is doing systematically was crimes, crimes agains humanity and attempting to do genocide. Take a look what people in Baltics think, they have been under russian power, and they know how russia acts.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

tavasti wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:03 am

Nobody has provoked russia. Russia has at least ten years built story how Ukraine does not exist, illegally annexed areas there, and now attacked for more. In 2014 west reacted those annexations very mildly, and now russia did what it did. Russia does not honor any agreements, it honors only force. Russia has agreed to guarantee Ukrane safety when Ukraine gave away nuclear weapons, and here it is. Russia does not honor Geneva Conventions but is doing systematically was crimes, crimes agains humanity and attempting to do genocide. Take a look what people in Baltics think, they have been under russian power, and they know how russia acts.

Funny how you seem to ignore, that "we" made an agreement with Russia, to not extent the nato area.
An agrement we did not live up to.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Gps wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 am
tavasti wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:03 am

Funny how you seem to ignore, that "we" made an agreement with Russia, to not extent the nato area.
An agrement we did not live up to.

The agreement was only that NATO forces wouldn't be in East Germany. The "provocation" was that countries that were treated so badly by Russia, they felt the need to join a military alliance for future protection from it. Something which is now proved justified

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Largos wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:16 am

The agreement was only that NATO forces wouldn't be in East Germany.

There is not such agreement. There were some "promises".

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

How ever you call it after WW2, the nato said they would expand towards Russia.

They broke that promise.

No that does not make russia the good guys, but neither is nato.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:01 am

They broke that promise.

Maybe you mean "wouldn't" ?
Anyway there weren't any promises after WW2 too. NATO was created as anti-soviet expansion military block. Promises were given (as it was told) during FRG and GDR re-union.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Kott wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:48 am
Largos wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:16 am

The agreement was only that NATO forces wouldn't be in East Germany.

There is not such agreement. There were some "promises".

from https://usa.usembassy.de/etexts/2plusfour8994e.htm

(3) Following the completion of the withdrawal of the Soviet armed forces from the territory of the present German Democratic Republic and of Berlin, units of German armed forces assigned to military alliance structures in the same way as those in the rest of German territory may also be stationed in that part of Germany, but without nuclear weapon carriers. This does not apply to conventional weapon systems which may have other capabilities in addition to conventional ones but which in that part of Germany are equipped for a conventional role and designated only for such. Foreign armed forces and nuclear weapons or their carriers will not be stationed in that part of Germany or deployed there.

That was the only agreement.

They broke that promise.

It was less "after WW2" and more language used in the 1990's around the break up of the USSR https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book ... ders-early

None of this works as a provocation to invade Ukraine though. The US and EU acting badly does not give moral authority for Russia to invade other countries just because they sense weakness.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:27 am
Gps wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:01 am

They broke that promise.

Maybe you mean "wouldn't" ?
Anyway there weren't any promises after WW2 too. NATO was created as anti-soviet expansion military block. Promises were given (as it was told) during FRG and GDR re-union.

Oops yes, I should have typed wouldn't. :oops:

Well the source I found was talking about after WW2. :)

I do like to emphasize, that this does not in my book, give Russia the right to invade Ukraine.

I am however getting annoyed by msn, bringing this story as we are the good guys and Putin is evil.

Its not that simple at all.

I also do not believe Putin, who claims he is saving people from the fascist, is doing this out of the goodness of his hart.

I learned recently, that the area were Putin is gonna save the people, is the area were the most resources are.

That's not a coincidence, but I am also 99.99% sure eu and nato have the same motivation.

So as usual its all about the money.

Who cares about the people ? :(

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

When I was in high school, I attended the classes Geography, Government, and Contemporary World Problems all taught by the same teacher. He told us that in case of nuclear war, his plan B was to get a bag of chips and a lawn chair, sit out in the school yard, watch the firework show, and hopefully die early from the fallout.

Last edited by Michael Willis on Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Gps

You are right that the mainstream media has some major problems with being politicized and monetized, I also agree that far too many people do not employ critical thinking but I also think people have lost the ability to understand and discern the degrees of corruption and wrongdoing... I notice that a lot of people who distrust the mainstream media also employ a lot of 'false equivalency' to help balance the scales between so called good and bad and this is extremely dangerous..

Is NATO corrupt? Of course it is! However NATO and it's corruption and agenda can not in any way be looked on as being equally 'wrong' as a Dictator who has a dream to take Russia back to it's former glories and wantonly kills his own people and commits war crimes and atrocities including attacking civilians and the rape of women. NATO's mandate is not to offensively attack but to defend and prevent expansion and this war is about many different things but that fact that one extremely isolated, incredibly rich and entitled man with misguided ideas about a world that doesn't exist any more can inflict so much human damage isn't merely 'wrong too' it is indefensively evil..

On my side of the world (but not my country, thankfully) is the same glaring lack of nuance and depth perception of wrong doing... Is the current American president corrupt, you bet he is! Did his son get a completely undeserved executive job in Ukraine..? Yes, absolutely!! Is it equally wrong and as dangerous as a full assault on Democracy and the electoral laws that support the pillars of Democratic government...? Of course not! Both should be punished and made to pay for their wrongs but one is corruption and the other is an existential threat to what constitutes 'freedom', the difference is huge!

Saying "NATO is wrong and so is Putin, let them figure it out.." is not critical thinking at all, degree matters, differences matter, nuances matter!

porzione
Established Member

Post by porzione »

This is not about resources - there is a lot of natural resources in Russia, there is no economical reason to invade Ukraine. This is not about ideology, in fact there is no national or any other idea in modern Russia. It is just kleptocratic/oligarchic state that became real fascist one just because Putin wants to be an emperor. Nobody really cared about NATO, Ukraine and "traditional values" year ago except Pu and couple of people from inner circle. Russian "security council" really was scared of annexation western Ukraine, except clown Medvedev. And now when Ukrainians fighting back enough effective to send thousands of bodies back to Russia - people started to hate Ukraine because of that, and TV propaganda as well. Putin is happy, he can sell any bullshit now why "we" should fight and bomb civilians.
The West has always bought Russian resources for little money - it is cheaper than any war, NATO doesn't even have enough arms in EU to protect themselves. You can google how many tanks/warplanes/etc they have in EU comparing to Russia.

Well, my plan B - I will try to connect Supercollider / Sonic Pi to Bitwig hw device, already set up virtual audio/midi devices, set up Pipewire routing, reading Supercollider manual. Maybe I can finish this before the apocalypse.

PS At my job we have remote IT workers from Kiev - these guys continue working during air raid alerts, often on batteries, especially now - they don't have plan B and they won't surrender. And they don't hate me despite the fact that I'm citizen of Russia living abroad.

Bitwig / Surge XT / Linux Studio Plugins / u-he stuff / TAL stuff

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

GMaq wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:52 pm

@Gps

You are right that the mainstream media has some major problems with being politicized and monetized, I also agree that far too many people do not employ critical thinking but I also think people have lost the ability to understand and discern the degrees of corruption and wrongdoing... I notice that a lot of people who distrust the mainstream media also employ a lot of 'false equivalency' to help balance the scales between so called good and bad and this is extremely dangerous..

Is NATO corrupt? Of course it is! However NATO and it's corruption and agenda can not in any way be looked on as being equally 'wrong' as a Dictator who has a dream to take Russia back to it's former glories and wantonly kills his own people and commits war crimes and atrocities including attacking civilians and the rape of women. NATO's mandate is not to offensively attack but to defend and prevent expansion and this war is about many different things but that fact that one extremely isolated, incredibly rich and entitled man with misguided ideas about a world that doesn't exist any more can inflict so much human damage isn't merely 'wrong too' it is indefensively evil..

On my side of the world (but not my country, thankfully) is the same glaring lack of nuance and depth perception of wrong doing... Is the current American president corrupt, you bet he is! Did his son get a completely undeserved executive job in Ukraine..? Yes, absolutely!! Is it equally wrong and as dangerous as a full assault on Democracy and the electoral laws that support the pillars of Democratic government...? Of course not! Both should be punished and made to pay for their wrongs but one is corruption and the other is an existential threat to what constitutes 'freedom', the difference is huge!

Saying "NATO is wrong and so is Putin, let them figure it out.." is not critical thinking at all, degree matters, differences matter, nuances matter!

I think you and me agree for 90 %. :)

Few years ago, I joined: de gele hesjes, les gilet jaunes, the yellow jackets.

This started of quite well, but omg. I did met a lot of good people but also some who are a few marbles short.

To them everything is a conspiracy and the earth is flat.

They blame the dutch news for being biased, but accept all kind of bullshit from sites as Nine for news.
Putin is our savior...

Condense traces behind aeroplanes do not exist, they are spraying chemicals to make us sick.

I mean really ?

It makes me wonder a few things. Am I one of the few with an IQ above 10 ?
Does it hurt for them to use their brain ? :(

Then your ps. Thats exactly my point. I am not at war with russia, my leaders seem to be though.
They even have the audacity to talk about our war.