Delay parameter for MIDI track?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

dailybug2
Established Member

Delay parameter for MIDI track?

Post by dailybug2 »

Hi, I searched the menus and the documentation for a very useful feature: A delay parameter (positive or negative) affecting all events send from a MIDI track. This is very useful if there is a lag in the output path, e.g., with the Linux sampler or some other soft synth. Is there such a feature already? I know there is an edit function "move by ticks", but this not a good idea if the notes are actually correct.

Btw; I know this feature from Cubase 2.x on Atari ST, oh my god ... I'm so old... :-/
Btw#2; Just returned to MusE after quite some time. Compiled it from GIT; works like a charm. No burst of bug reports this time :-)
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Delay parameter for MIDI track?

Post by Impostor »

dailybug2 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:17 pm Just returned to MusE after quite some time.
In the mixerstrip of any midi track, go to properties: there's a delay option.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (30.07 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Gee, I didn't know QTractor had a green leafy substance latency compensator :wink:

Yes we have the midi delay track property as shown, which might help.

But if one or more plugins are causing various latency in the signal path,
you might try our automatic latency compensation available in Global Settings > Audio tab.
It is off by default, and marked as 'experimental' because a couple of aspects remain unfinished
such as no support for Aux tracks yet. A few minor bugs exist.
However, I wrote the whole thing and thoroughly tested it, and it is quite sweeping and comprehensive
and fairly reliable.
It corrects or compensates for Audio track, Midi track, audio rack plugin, synthesizer, audio and midi driver latency.

Don't worry too much about some of the other specialized settings in there,
for now just enable the overall feature with the top checkbox.

The purpose of the feature is to ensure that both midi and audio signals everywhere are aligned in time.
Please note that there are two internal methods of latency handling:
1) Correction
2) Compensation

Correction is the most desirable as it actually fully corrects for latency by fully negating it.
But only one type of signal source can achieve that goal:
Files. Both wave audio (Wave Tracks) or midi (Midi Tracks). Because they can be seek'ed and queued.

When correction of a signal path's latency is not possible, we use compensation.
Compensation means, perhaps counter-intuitively, that extra delay is added to
the various signals to ensure that all signals are aligned in time.
This means overall latency will still be there, but at least all signals will be aligned,
which is the main goal.

Try it out, do some measurements and alignment tests and see if it works for you.
Try to avoid attempting to use our looping features, as they are not well supported yet
when latency correction/compensation is on.

Tim.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I should note as well that enabling the latency correction/compensation
can become somewhat CPU intensive if you have a lot of tracks in your song.

This is because I simply blindly compute the entire network's latency in all nodes
at the beginning of every audio process call. :(

A big improvement on that, as I noted in the code, will be to only compute
the latency when something changes, such as some plugin's controllers.
If I could just find the time...

Tim.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

And one more caveat:
Due to the way the feature works, when recording or playing back try to
start from a small period of time before the actual start point, like a 'grace' bar.

If you hit record+play and immediately at that instant start recording notes or audio,
some material just at the very beginning may be cut off when you examine it later.

It's a transport thing. I'm looking at ways to correct this annoyance.

Tim.
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:13 pm In the mixerstrip of any midi track, go to properties: there's a delay option.
Thanks and wow! Never noticed this property tab. Excellent.
Searching the docu for "delay" did not show anything useful. So it is rather a little doc bug.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

dailybug2 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:23 am
Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:13 pm In the mixerstrip of any midi track, go to properties: there's a delay option.
Searching the docu for "delay" did not show anything useful. So it is rather a little doc bug.
Not necessarily a bug. Being a floss project, there just needs to be someone out there with a lot of time on his hands, who likes to improve the documentation of MusE's features. At least we can use this forum to find out stuff from fellow users.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

there just needs to be someone out there with a lot of time on his hands, who likes to improve the documentation of MusE's features.
I made a better to navigate version of their documentation here: https://thoth-amon.github.io/muse-seque ... intro.html It's been in a dead pull request for half a year, so it didn't exactly inspire me to do more.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Largos wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:37 pm
there just needs to be someone out there with a lot of time on his hands, who likes to improve the documentation of MusE's features.
I made a better to navigate version of their documentation here: https://thoth-amon.github.io/muse-seque ... intro.html It's been in a dead pull request for half a year, so it didn't exactly inspire me to do more.
Nice. I have that bookmarked now!