Transfer Point: I Saw Your Face

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Transfer Point: I Saw Your Face

Post by milo »

Hey friends! I've been away from the forum for a while. It's been a busy year, and kind of a difficult year for me. But I did manage to push another recording across the finish line, so I thought I would post it here for your listening pleasure: https://sanderson.band/2022/10/20/i-saw-your-face/

It is a pop/rock ballad about a lonely man in a busy city finding love at first sight but still facing obstacles. It is ultimately a story of hope in the face of setbacks, though mingled with anxiety. A bit melodramatic, perhaps, but then so is life sometimes.

It was recorded on Linux Mint 20.2 in Ardour 6.9 (upgrading to 7.0 now that this recording is done). The blog post linked above has extensive production notes, including a full listing of hardware and software.

Enjoy!
I Saw Your Face-lores.jpg
I Saw Your Face-lores.jpg (219.58 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Transfer Point: I Saw Your Face

Post by Michael Willis »

You haven't posted here for quite a while! I was wondering what happened.

I like the backing vocal harmony panned to the sides, and I like the back-and-forth interaction between the guitar parts and the synthesizer.

I had to go looking through the blog post to find out what synth you used. I was hoping that it was one of the software synth plugins, but nope, it's a Roland. Funny thing, my friend just picked up an old semi-functioning Roland JV-1000. Long story short, he tried to fix it up but only about half of the keys are functional. I told him it would still be a fun midi sound module, and now he's trying to pawn it off on me.

What drum kit did you use? I was trying to place it as one of the DrumGizmo kits, but for all I know you're recording real percussion.

The lyrics seem autobiographical, am I right?
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Thanks for sharing your piece Michael! This is very well produced. It's so well glued together. I love how dense and well balanced the arrangement is. Some nice lines in almost every instrument at times. Also I like your vocals: very smooth. So much nice little ear candy and elements to listen out for.
The only thing that does poke out is an odd strong frequency in the drums. It's very clear in the toms, but I think it's also on the snare, unless there is a percussion instrument perfectly layered with these sounds. This is odd, especially since the rest is so perfect with a fine ear for detail and balance.
Best wishes and thanks again, I enjoy that!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Yeah, life is melodramatic, and that is a good thing, I think (and hope).

That is a nice drawing on the cover.

I like the sound a lot, maybe the synth is a bit too plastic? But that is a kind of hook, I think.

The lyrics are nice.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very nice collaboration, and I always like a song the progresses through a story.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks for the listens and comments, everyone.

Yes, the lyrics are semi-autobiographical. I met my wife while attending university in a large city, and there were a few hit-and-miss encounters, including on public transportation, before we finally connected. Those were lonely but hopeful days, and I think it turned out well in the end.

About the drums, let me describe the workflow and that will answer questions from two comments above. The drums were performed by Tom on the Roland synth, and sent to me as a single stereo track. I wanted to liven it up a little bit -- make it a little more organic sounding -- so I ran it through a multiband compressor to isolate the snare frequencies as much as possible, and ran the result through an amplifier with a 12" speaker that had an actual snare drum strapped to it, and recorded it with a microphone near the snare. Then I removed the multiband compressor on the original track and mixed the two tracks together. The result is interesting, and certainly more organic-sounding than the original. The multiband compressor didn't perfectly isolate the snare, so the snare drum reacted somewhat to the toms and kick drum in the track. The same thing would happen to some extent in an acoustic kit, so I didn't bother too much about it. I suppose I could ask Tom for the midi version of his drum performance and isolate the snare from that -- I would get a cleaner or more isolated snare sound from doing it that way.

My daughter wanted a happy ending to the story, but it felt more impactful to leave the tension unresolved.

@Michael Willis: that Roland would be a fun tool to play with. You should get it!

psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Fine song! Hi quality executive, voice, instruments, mixing and recording!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Good track, @milo! Does this count as yacht rock? :D I like the arrangement, composition and performance and solos. Nice screamin' guitar tone near the end of the song!

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

You were definitely missed, so I'm glad you're back with new music for us to enjoy, and a great song at that!
I definitely related to the overall topic of the song, especially since I used to commute a lot, and so I had my fair share of "love at first sight" encounters in trains and stations -- alas, unlike your happy ending with your wife, all pretty much unidirectional for me, with girls I often never even saw again after that brief glimpse in the crowd :mrgreen:
Special mention to the guitar kickin in ~ 3:20, which at around 3:50 reminded me a lot of Andrew Latimer's work in Camel: gorgeous sound, and played in a heartfelt way I truly enjoyed.