AV Linux MX Edition 21.2 development news

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux MX Edition 21.2 development news

Post by GMaq »

Hi AVL'ers!

With the recent update of MX to 21.2.1 it is also a good time to freshen the AV Linux MX Edition ISO with some updates and incidental fixes and that is in the works. This will not be a new version simply the current version with some important updates on the ISO. The release of Ardour 7 has been big news in the Linux Audio world but I learned many years ago that putting the 'official' release of a new Ardour version rarely works out because new releases flush out new bugs so it is usually best to wait for an interim version after a new version has been out for a couple of weeks so I am biding my time for a nightly build with some bugfixes. As a reminder Ardour is not free however it's developer allows me to provide a full version of their supported bundle on the AV Linux ISO. Repository Packages of Ardour from it's source code are permitted but not supported by it's developers and this is why I provide their own supported and fully functional builds with thanks to lead developer Paul Davis.

Recently the new and maturing Audio server 'PipeWire' has been updated in the MX Repos (thanks @dolphin_oracle @Stevo @DeepDayze ) to be clear an ISO update is no place to completely adopt a new Audio system however with some work and testing over the next week or so it may be possible for AV Linux users to optionally cleanly install and use PipeWire at their own discretion. There will be a PipeWire setup metapackage coming soon to MX Test Repo and I need to do some in-depth testing on fresh AV Linux installs to determine the steps to do this as simply as possible and figure out what parts of the existing JACK/Pulse pajackconnect setup are affected and/or not needed. 'qpwgraph' (thanks @rncbc) has also been added to MX Test Repo which is essentially the graph part of Qjackctl for PipeWire.

Beyond that obvious updates will be Ardour 7, Mixbus 8.X (demo) Reaper (demo), Kdenlive, Cinelerra-GG and probably some updates to the Audio Plugin Demos. A reminder to existing AVL-MXE users that the MX Test Repo (accessed through the MX Package Installer) has lots of updated goodies like Qtractor, LSP Plugins, Yoshimi and many more..

Stay tuned, as my fall offline work season slows down I hope to turn more attention to this ISO update and hope to have something for early November.

Best, Glen
Last edited by GMaq on Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 21.2 development news

Post by sjzstudio »

Can the current AVL be updated to this new version or does it require re-installation. It's annoying to have to re-enter license keys to the plugins and programs I've purchased. On the other hand, this current one has a bug when Mixbus/Ardous doesn't release the usb sound card correctly after closing. Could be fixed by reinstalling. If I knew how to install it while keeping the home directory.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:35 pm Can the current AVL be updated to this new version or does it require re-installation. It's annoying to have to re-enter license keys to the plugins and programs I've purchased. On the other hand, this current one has a bug when Mixbus/Ardous doesn't release the usb sound card correctly after closing. Could be fixed by reinstalling. If I knew how to install it while keeping the home directory.
You will not need to reinstall, You will have received many of the system updates already simply through the regular Repos. If you want the latest non-Repo things like AppImages, Ardour/Mixbus bundles or the latest Reaper or commercial Plugins then you can get them yourself from the respective project websites.

The intention of this ISO update is having up to date apps for first-time Users or people evaluating it. As far as your USB card sound issue I'm afraid I have no idea what is going on there, perhaps a PulseAudio update along the way...? I have no other reports about that but you will be able to simply boot the new ISO Live and then you will be able to see if the problem exists on the new ISO, or maybe once a straightforward installation of PipeWire can be figured out your issue may be alleviated. The MX Installer does allow an option to preserve and not format your home folder but I've never used it and I personally would never import stale configs from an older system into a new one but it should be possible. In my experience copying the configuration files and other small contents of an existing home folder to a separate partition of external drive/USB key and then selectively moving them to a new home folder isn't difficult either..
Last edited by GMaq on Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:57 pm 'qpwgraph' (thanks @rncbc) has also been added to MX Test Repo which is essentially Qjackctl for PipeWire.
a little nitpicking is due: qpwgraph is essentially QjackCtl/Graph for PipeWire ;)

cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

rncbc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:58 pm
GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:57 pm 'qpwgraph' (thanks @rncbc) has also been added to MX Test Repo which is essentially Qjackctl for PipeWire.
a little nitpicking is due: qpwgraph is essentially QjackCtl/Graph for PipeWire ;)

cheers
Fixed Maestro! And hello to you!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

rncbc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:58 pm

cheers
Hi, I hope the same 'connections' option works in the pipewire gui as it does in qjackctl. The simple line connections are much easier for me to use
than the graph view. Thanks for supporting the new possibilities. Is CLAP support planned for qtractor? I read that it will make some midi-out
capabilities easier or possible in some plugin formats.
Cheers
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:21 am I hope the same 'connections' option works in the pipewire gui as it does in qjackctl.
as nitpicked, it's only about the Graph.
glowrak guy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:21 am Is CLAP support planned for qtractor?
already there, since v0.9.27

byee
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

As far as your USB card sound issue I'm afraid I have no idea what is going on there, perhaps a PulseAudio update along the way...? I have no other reports about that but you will be able to simply boot the new ISO Live and then you will be able to see if
It works ok from the original USB stick. :D Apparently, I did something less intelligent to this system.
maybe once a straightforward installation of PipeWire can be figured out your issue may be alleviated.
This is interesting. If it could be easily installed here, I could test it.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:34 am
As far as your USB card sound issue I'm afraid I have no idea what is going on there, perhaps a PulseAudio update along the way...? I have no other reports about that but you will be able to simply boot the new ISO Live and then you will be able to see if
It works ok from the original USB stick. :D Apparently, I did something less intelligent to this system.
maybe once a straightforward installation of PipeWire can be figured out your issue may be alleviated.
This is interesting. If it could be easily installed here, I could test it.
If you go to MX Package Installer and enable the MX Test Repo there is an update of all the Pulseaudio packages to version 15, you could try installing those and see if the problem persists..?
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

I installed and no change to the situation
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

rncbc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:06 am
glowrak guy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:21 am

I hope the same 'connections' option works in the pipewire gui as it does in qjackctl.

as nitpicked, it's only about the Graph.

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:21 am

Is CLAP support planned for qtractor?

already there, since v0.9.27

byee

Sorry, just for clarity... do you mean that only graph will be available and not the connections window? I also find the simple line connections easier to wrap my mind around.

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

RyanH wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 am

Sorry, just for clarity... do you mean that only graph will be available and not the connections window? I also find the simple line connections easier to wrap my mind around.

yes, as the name qpwgraph says

if your only purpose is to work with JACK connections and only then use qjackctl/Connections, by all means...

but then you'll miss a lot of other "amenities" that only the graph provides (on both qpwgraph and qjackctl)

cheers

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

@rncbc It doesn't appear that your software implements Session Management. What do you recommend for a Session Management tool? Agordejo?

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 pm

@rncbc It doesn't appear that your software implements Session Management. What do you recommend for a Session Management tool? Agordejo?

You have WirePlumber. :lol:

Jokes apart, RaySession is very good and has an integrated patchbay/graph view. Agordejo is good too, but no patchbay/graph yet.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

LAM wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:08 pm
Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 pm

You have WirePlumber. :lol:

Jokes apart, RaySession is very good and has an integrated patchbay/graph view. Agordejo is good too, but no patchbay/graph yet.

I don't know what y'all do with all of them thar session managers... :?: I've never needed one in 15 years of Linux production but seriously I get it's a modular workflow thing but with the embarrassment of riches we have for DAW hosts and Plugins these days surely modular workflows are less and less common than ever..?

Before the torches and pitchforks come out I didn't say modular workflows were any less VALID... what works works and vive le difference but I think it will largely be a niche thing that is best attended to by the end-user. I have always avoided them in AV Linux with the exception of providing simple utilities for aj-snapshot.