AV Linux MX Edition 21.2 development news

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 21.2 development news

Post by Audiojunkie »

LAM wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:08 pm
Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 pm

@rncbc It doesn't appear that your software implements Session Management. What do you recommend for a Session Management tool? Agordejo?

You have WirePlumber. :lol:

Jokes apart, RaySession is very good and has an integrated patchbay/graph view. Agordejo is good too, but no patchbay/graph yet.

Yeah, I thought about it after and realized I should have said, “NSM-based” session manager. :)

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:44 pm
LAM wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:08 pm

@rncbc It doesn't appear that your software implements Session Management. What do you recommend for a Session Management tool? Agordejo?

You have WirePlumber. :lol:

Jokes apart, RaySession is very good and has an integrated patchbay/graph view. Agordejo is good too, but no patchbay/graph yet.

I don't know what y'all do with all of them thar session managers... :?: I've never needed one in 15 years of Linux production but seriously I get it's a modular workflow thing but with the embarrassment of riches we have for DAW hosts and Plugins these days surely modular workflows are less and less common than ever..?

Before the torches and pitchforks come out I didn't say modular workflows were any less VALID... what works works and vive le difference but I think it will largely be a niche thing that is best attended to by the end-user. I have always avoided them in AV Linux with the exception of providing simple utilities for aj-snapshot.

I don’t currently use them either, but I want to learn the ins and outs of what Linux has available. ...thus my question. :)

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

rncbc wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:38 am
RyanH wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 am

Sorry, just for clarity... do you mean that only graph will be available and not the connections window? I also find the simple line connections easier to wrap my mind around.

yes, as the name qpwgraph says

if your only purpose is to work with JACK connections and only then use qjackctl/Connections, by all means...

but then you'll miss a lot of other "amenities" that only the graph provides (on both qpwgraph and qjackctl)

cheers

Ok, good to know. As to those new "amenities," today I started tinkering with the Graph interface so as to get used to it rather than leave myself stuck in the past. So far so good. :)

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

NSM where it matters (qtractor and vee-nones)

however, qpwgraph is not a session manager whatsoever,
but it has its own patchbay persistence feature, although similar to qjackctl's in general, it's seamless integrated (in da graph itself)
anyway, all this is entirely agnostic to session management.
cheers

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

rncbc wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:11 pm

NSM where it matters (qtractor and vee-nones)

however, qpwgraph is not a session manager whatsoever,
but it has its own patchbay persistence feature, although similar to qjackctl's in general, it's seamless integrated (in da graph itself)
anyway, all this is entirely agnostic to session management.
cheers

This is as I suspected. Thank you for clearing it up concisely! :)

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Update:

On hold waiting for Ardour 7.1...

paulmerchant
Established Member

Post by paulmerchant »

GMaq wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:59 pm

Update:

On hold waiting for Ardour 7.1...

You are wise. When you first said you would wait for another Ardour release, I was excitedly running Ardour 7.0.2, but after several major transport and tempo issues (and other issues now being fixed), I moved back to Ardour 6.9, and I remembered your words of wisdom while I was doing that.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:52 pm
sjzstudio wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:35 pm

Can the current AVL be updated to this new version or does it require re-installation. It's annoying to have to re-enter license keys to the plugins and programs I've purchased. On the other hand, this current one has a bug when Mixbus/Ardous doesn't release the usb sound card correctly after closing. Could be fixed by reinstalling. If I knew how to install it while keeping the home directory.

You will not need to reinstall, You will have received many of the system updates already simply through the regular Repos. If you want the latest non-Repo things like AppImages, Ardour/Mixbus bundles or the latest Reaper or commercial Plugins then you can get them yourself from the respective project websites.

The intention of this ISO update is having up to date apps for first-time Users or people evaluating it. As far as your USB card sound issue I'm afraid I have no idea what is going on there, perhaps a PulseAudio update along the way...? I have no other reports about that but you will be able to simply boot the new ISO Live and then you will be able to see if the problem exists on the new ISO, or maybe once a straightforward installation of PipeWire can be figured out your issue may be alleviated. The MX Installer does allow an option to preserve and not format your home folder but I've never used it and I personally would never import stale configs from an older system into a new one but it should be possible. In my experience copying the configuration files and other small contents of an existing home folder to a separate partition of external drive/USB key and then selectively moving them to a new home folder isn't difficult either..

A quick note. The qtractor version in stable is 0.9.28. The version in test is 0.9.26.

I've submitted a package request in the MX forum for the Laborejo suite, which includes the Agordejo session manager and other associated apps.

Last edited by alex stone on Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

I can´t wait for it. You are awesome Glenn! I can´t thank you enough for putting out avlinux for us mere mortals, I simply love it! I wish there was a way to have a portable device and run avlinux and have guitarix as a standalone application right off the bat. Similar to Modduo or something like that. but that´s a conversation for another day hahaha.

Dying to trying the next exciting new installment of AV Linux

Cheers,

ROdney

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks!

To anyone who is curious what has happened there have been several hold-ups and reasons that the ISO update is delayed:

• Last minute decision to remove Openbox and all it's customizations.
  • Integration and build tests of XFCE4/xfwm4 changes relating to above.
  • De-branding and changes to AVL-Assistant to make it's utilities more generic for MXDE-EFL
  • Extensive changes to User Manual to document the above items.
  • Changes to custom/extra Packaging to make it more generic and useful outside AVL.
  • Waiting for Ardour 7.X to solidify further
  • Possible wait for Mixbus 32C 8.2 demo
  • Changes to Liquorix Kernel have broken the ISO build system, it's being worked on and looking like a fix soon..

Stay tuned, this release was looking pretty good before these further improvements.. I think it will be more than worth the wait! :wink:

Last edited by GMaq on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

It does seem strange the kernel change broke the ISO build system. Was it the change from Liquorix 5.19 to 6.0? I've seen a number of reports that kernel 6.0 (both Debian and Liquorix) breaks onboard sound for Tiger Lake and other *Lake systems, although I just upgraded to Liquorix 6.0 in siduction and my M-Audio 2496 works fine (haven't tested onboard). May or may not be related to Debian's switch to Pipewire default in Testing/Sid also. I guess PW is unrelated to AVL as you're still based on Bullseye IIRC.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:09 am

It does seem strange the kernel change broke the ISO build system. Was it the change from Liquorix 5.19 to 6.0? I've seen a number of reports that kernel 6.0 (both Debian and Liquorix) breaks onboard sound for Tiger Lake and other *Lake systems, although I just upgraded to Liquorix 6.0 in siduction and my M-Audio 2496 works fine (haven't tested onboard). May or may not be related to Debian's switch to Pipewire default in Testing/Sid also. I guess PW is unrelated to AVL as you're still based on Bullseye IIRC.

The dirty deets are here: https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2971.html

As far as PipeWire, there are backports in Bullseye and 3.58 is Packaged in MX Test along with a PipeWire setup metapackage by dolphin_oracle that gets everything working on both sysvinit and systemd. To be honest I'm completely baffled what all the fuss is about... I personally use Ardour with the ALSA backend and I've never had a complaint with how PulseAudio works for general daily Desktop stuff, if I need to get freaky with routing JACK with the Pulseaudio jack modules and pajackconnect glues everything together and I can just run any JACK applications without special terminal prefixes and all that stuff. I set up a PipeWire Test VM and doing daily stuff I literally see no benefits compared to PulseAudio... *shrugs... I guess Pipewire fixes several problems I've never had... :lol:

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:24 am

The dirty deets are here: https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2971.html

It's great that bug is uncovered and healing well. I like how damentz is so responsive to issues. I found a bug in his install script which incorrectly identified Debian version and helped him fix it, all in a couple of days.

I guess Pipewire fixes several problems I've never had... :lol:

I set up a Sid test of PW and it worked OK except I use standalone JACK version of LSP PEQ for room correction inserted before system out and every time transport stopped it would bypass it on restart. There's likely a way to work around that but I'd spent enough time on it at that stage so reverted to old setup. Will try again one day.

Last edited by sunrat on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
trkkazulu

Post by trkkazulu »

Hi,

I just installed AV LINUX MX EDITION 21.1 "Consciousness" last night. Am i to understand that there will be a major upgrade coming any day now? If so, will OpenBox be replaced? Also, prior to upgrading i was running version 19 and i had different wallpapers on each of my desktops. I can't seem to do that in version 21.1. Has this functionality been removed?

Thanks,

Jair-Rohm