Does anyone use a trackball mouse?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Does anyone use a trackball mouse?

Post by sysrqer »

Been struggling with wrist aches and pain for a while so I decided to try a vertical mouse. The pain is relieved but I'm getting strain in other parts of my arm and I think it's because the mouse is too small for my large hand and it's very supportive.

I'm trying to decide between buying a better vertical mouse and a trackball mouse. The vertical one I'm considering (Logitech MX Vertical) looks very useful with the multi device support but in design and shape it is similar to the Anker one I have now.

I have never used a trackball mouse before and I'm worried that it would be inaccurate and frustrating to use. I don't game and the most mouse intensive thing I do is clicking around a DAW so do any of you have experience with these in music production?
d.healey
Established Member

Re: Does anyone use a trackball mouse?

Post by d.healey »

I've been using a trackball for about 20 years. The best one I had was a wired Logitech one but they no longer make wired ones. My current one is the MX Ergo. I've tried some of the unknown brand ones from Amazon and haven't found any to be as good as the Logitech ones. I've also used some Kingston ones but I prefer the thumb control rather than the ball in the centre and Logitech seems best for that.

There are no accuracy issues once you get used to it and some of them have a dpi switch so you can get super high accuracy when doing detail work - I think this is mainly for image editing, I never use it.

I have no problems using it for games either although that's not something I do often. In a DAW you'll have no issues - some Pro-Tools studios have a trackball built into the console.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I have a Kensington Expert. They're quite expensive, but good. I think a trackball is more accurate than a mouse, and that may be because the Expert has a large ball.

I would be lost without a scroll wheel, and the Expert deals with scrolling with a scroll ring around the ball. I got a trackball really to save space -- it has a smaller footprint than a mouse mat, but I was also thinking about ergonomics. Because I play the guitar I want to avoid any repetitive strain injury, and I haven't had any sore arms since getting the trackball. I have had pains in my arms when I used a mouse, and I think that's to do with nerves in my wrist getting compressed, which the trackball avoids.

It took a bit of getting used to, but now I'd never go back to a mouse.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Logitech M570 here. Much prefer it to normal mouse but they do take a bit to get used to. Would probably get a Kensington Expert if I needed to replace it.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Another thing you could try is a swiveling arm support bracket, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Com ... 725&sr=8-8
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I have a Kensington Expert Mouse and just got it out again because of this thread to get used to it (again). The scroll wheel is not very smooth, but you can configure it so that you are able to scroll with the ball while holding one button. Problematic is also the scroll direction, because when you turn it to the right plugin buttons go to the left :mrgreen: . Was not able to change it independent of the ball scroll direction. On a Mac you can configure it for every application independently.

https://de.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00009KH63

I also have a Marble Ball from Logitech (maybe 25 years old) and might get one again if they are available again.

https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Trackbal ... B001DQY9AW
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I have a logitech trackball, the body is teardrop shape, 6-1/2 inches, the ball is 1-5/8 inches in diametrer.
I find it helps to have a large area in which to reposition the trackball, so the arm and wrist use a variety of positions.
Rolling with the palm of the hand, fingers stretched upward, also relieves pressure on the carpal tunnel.
Pro video editors likely have some good tips. Having arrow keys capable of some of the mouse/ball chores,
is another repetive stress relief option.
Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I've been rollermouse user for nearly 20 years, but in addition using trackball also.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Interesting to see so many posts here, I wasn't sure anyone would reply.

Does the Kensington Expert not tire your wrist? With the height of the ball it looks like you'd have to angle your hand up to reach it when resting on the pad.

And for the thumb ball type ones, do you not get issues with the thumb? Seems like you'd have to do a lot of movement with it and I'm concerned that this would cause different/additional strain.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

sysrqer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:24 am Interesting to see so many posts here, I wasn't sure anyone would reply.

Does the Kensington Expert not tire your wrist? With the height of the ball it looks like you'd have to angle your hand up to reach it when resting on the pad.

And for the thumb ball type ones, do you not get issues with the thumb? Seems like you'd have to do a lot of movement with it and I'm concerned that this would cause different/additional strain.
It can tire your rest as well, yes. But there's a wrist pad that you optionally use. I use it without.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

The ergonomic part is about keeping your wrist straight. glowrak guy mentioned the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome. This is caused by having your wrist in a constantly bent position. The carpal tunnel is a sheath around nerves that travel trough the wrist. Having your wrist constantly bent compresses the tunnel, which compresses the nerves. Inflamed nerves can cause pain and 'pins and needles' in a lot of places other than where the inflammation is. I've had pains in my elbow that I put down to the nerves in my wrist.

Falling to pieces though I may be, ergonomics can help. I notice the pictures of the MX vertical mouse show a straight wrist.

Thinking about it I had changed to i3wm as my window manager at the same time that I got the trackball, so I was using the keyboard more, and the trackball less. I think you have to find what works for you, with the goal of keeping a straight wrist.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

sysrqer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:24 amAnd for the thumb ball type ones, do you not get issues with the thumb? Seems like you'd have to do a lot of movement with it and I'm concerned that this would cause different/additional strain.
With the Logitech M570 I don't experience any thumb discomfort or strain, I consider it thumb exercise rather than strain. My mouse thumb is fitter than the one on the opposite hand. :wink:
The M570 has now been superseded by the M575.
I imagine a ball manipulated by fingers such as the Expert or Vertical would be more precise than a thumb ball. Those 2 are somewhat more expensive than the MX575 though. It does become much easier once accustomed to it.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Here is script I use to configure my Logitech Trackball. It sets button 8 to work as scroll lock, meaning trackball works as scroll whell until next press of button 8. And because that cause button 8 to disappear, button 9 comes 8. I set that to work as drag-lock: press button 9, and then some other button. That "some other" will remain locked until it is pressed again.

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop "Logitech USB Trackball" "libinput Scroll Method Enabled"  0 0 1
xinput set-prop "Logitech USB Trackball" "libinput Button Scrolling Button Lock Enabled" 1
xinput set-prop "Logitech USB Trackball" "libinput Button Scrolling Button" 9 
xinput set-prop "Logitech USB Trackball" "libinput Drag Lock Buttons" 8
Any other cool things that could be configured? Maybe not, not at least having more buttons :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

kamiluni
Established Member

Post by kamiluni »

Hi, I use a trackball mouse from about 20 years, I use it for any kind of application.
I use it to design electronics (Electronic CAD), mechanical CAD, coding and finally, music.
It is accurate (after a small training time) and very comfortable.

KL

Linux OS: Manjaro
Intruments: Yamaha MODX8; Korg Nautilus; Yamaha Tyros 3, Akai Force, Korg ModWave, Upright bass, Electric bass
Audio Card: MOTU M4
Monitors: Yamaha HS8, Auratone, M-Audio BX5, PreSonus Eris E3.5
Engineer and Musician

stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

Kensington Expert mouse, LARGE 2.25" trackball, wired or wireless. 20+ years.
Can't stand a regular mouse anymore. :evil: