Yoshimi at SynthFestUK

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Yoshimi at SynthFestUK

Post by folderol »

This was a single day event I was given a free stand last Saturday (8th). I was kept pretty busy all day and there was a lot of interest in Yoshimi itself, and the Yoshimi Pi modules I build sometimes. I had both a moderately good laptop and a YP both fed into a pair of Genelec loan speakers. So people could hear they gave identical results... except the Pi did better with morphing PadSynth sounds!

Some photos...
www.musically.me.uk/Photos/Synthfest22-2.jpg
www.musically.me.uk/Photos/Synthfest22-7.jpg

The artwork on the posters was done by one of "Yoshimi's little band of helpers" :D

P.S. there are a lot more people who at least know about Linux, and I had several people who had tried Yoshimi in the past and were impressed with all the improvements.Oh, and resizable windows was a definite hit!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
LAM
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi at SynthFestUK

Post by LAM »

Very cool little stand and setup. I bet you had a lot of fun there. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Yoshimi is a pick for the proverbial 'desert-island instrument' quest.
Synthesis and layering and effects, with plenty of preset examples. 8)

In this (sleepy little) tune, the musical parts are yoshimi

https://youtu.be/vdQWGHkaG2A

Cheers

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Nice bit of chill-out :)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Glad you like the tune! That's a brilliant poster at the Yoshimi stand, someone's a really good graphic designer!
Your 'Collection' bank is one of those rare ones, where it's always easy to pick a few sounds, and just play
for the joy of playing!
Cheers

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Jesper has not only designed posters and flyers for us, he also maintains the website.
As if that wasn't enough, he's made some very useful additions to the code - especially regarding the pop-up tooltips.

http://yoshimi.github.io/

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

folderol wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:10 pm

Jesper has not only designed posters and flyers for us, he also maintains the website.
As if that wasn't enough, he's made some very useful additions to the code - especially regarding the pop-up tooltips.

http://yoshimi.github.io/

Jesper seems like a very talented designer. I wonder if he could make a new FLTK theme for Yoshimi? I am all for the traditional interface, don't get me wrong (zyn-fusion has its advantages but it's good that Yoshimi retained the old interface) but I think that with some tweaks (just to name some: get rid of all that Win95-grey, get rid of glossy buttons, better harmonize the color palette) the current interface could look more pleasant.

I have some experience theming FLTK programs, if needed, but don't have strong design skills. I think a talented designer could make some small but highly impactful changes which could increase Yoshimi's user-friendliness (I assure you that there are still people who judge programs based on their UIs, even on GNU/Linux).

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

The Yoshimi GUI has been a thorny issue for a long time, and much of my work (since the reins were thrown at me) has been on trying to make it consistent. Buttons were a particular headache. Some were raised, some weren't. They were all different colours, and scattered about the windows in a disorganised manner. Added to that there were raised panels that looked like buttons but weren't. Oh and there were relatively few tooltips.
Now, almost all are raised, slightly rounded and shiny - which hopefully makes them stand out better. The notable exception is 'close' buttons. These are all raised, grey, and sharply rectangular.

Whenever new features have been added (of which there have been a lot!) We've tried to ensure they matched everything else, and at the same time didn't make such a dramatic change that people were confused by layout changes. Also, a significant conflict is with trying to make the interface attractive to new people without alienating existing users. We've not attempted any colour themes because it would require a major re-write of the entire interface. Even the relatively recent implementation of fully resizable windows was months of work - FLTK does not like you changing font sizes or tabbed elements. The file manager was impossible so we had to develop our own :(

On the SynthFest show, a number of people commented that the interface looked very '90s', but didn't actually seemed particularly bothered about it. Something I learned a long time ago that applies to almost everything from washing powder to snacks (as well as software interfaces) is that if you make too much of a change, you lose more people than you gain.

Finally (as I think I've mentioned before) we're a very small team, and I'm the only one who can devote a lot of time to Yoshimi, yet am also the one with the least actual coding knowledge! In February 2014 I said I'd take over as maintainer until someone who knows what they are doing comes along... nearly nine years later I'm still waiting :cry: