Hello from newbie bass player who started late

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SpringChicken

Hello from newbie bass player who started late

Post by SpringChicken »

Hello, I started playing bass later in life in my late 40s. I started about six weeks ago and really enjoying it.

I've joined here because I need to start recording myself for a few reasons but have no idea where to start. All I have is my bass and amp and nothing else. I kept seeing everyone I know using a Focusrite Scarlett but they're not Linux users, so I'm in research mode meets information overload at the moment. I'm running Debian stable (bullseye). Hoping there's a simple but great option!
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hello from newbie bass player who started late

Post by folderol »

Welcome here.
The thing to look for if you're using USB audio units is the statement:
"Class Compliant".
This means you won't need any drivers and it will be plug-and-play.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi! Plenty of people here use Focusrite devices without trouble. There was even some recent effort to build kernel drivers specifically for some of the Focusrite devices.

Of course @folderol gives good advice. You don't have to look for a specific brand, just make sure the device is class compliant. I used to have an M-Audio interface that worked just fine, and other people have reported that the Behringer interfaces work.

The other thing you'll need is a program for recording. If you just want to record bass, Audacity is pretty easy to get started, but you'll hit its limitations pretty quickly if you want to do multitrack recording/mixing/mastering. Ardour is popular for that, but a lot of people don't like the midi features. Let us know if you want to know more about arranging midi tracks; if you do I'll go pop some corn and come back to watch the fight that ensues over which midi sequencer is the best.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Michael Willis wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:46 pm Hi! Plenty of people here use Focusrite devices without trouble. There was even some recent effort to build kernel drivers specifically for some of the Focusrite devices.
I have bit different feeling: if there is huge threads for using them, it can't be without trouble. Instead, Behringer audio interfaces are ones that people use without trouble. They are affordable and work plug & play. That is why there is no discussion about them, people just use.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Well, starting something new at any age is surely a good thing, but playing bass is cool. Welcome :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
nosleepjusthuh
Established Member

Post by nosleepjusthuh »

tavasti wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:21 pm
Michael Willis wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:46 pm Hi! Plenty of people here use Focusrite devices without trouble. There was even some recent effort to build kernel drivers specifically for some of the Focusrite devices.
I have bit different feeling: if there is huge threads for using them, it can't be without trouble. Instead, Behringer audio interfaces are ones that people use without trouble. They are affordable and work plug & play. That is why there is no discussion about them, people just use.
As an owner of two behringer units I can confirm they work seemlessly!
SpringChicken

Post by SpringChicken »

Thank you for the information everyone!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

tavasti wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:21 pm
There's one caveat with the latest revisions of the Behringer USB audio devices: they need a very up to date kernel becuase the old kernel module (read: driver) didn't work well with Behringer. B. changed a little thing (not even worth mentioning B. thought) and some of their audio devices didn't work well. That's been taken care of in the latest Linux distributions/kernels as far as I know.

And I agree with @tavasti: I personally would never use Focusrite given the hoops you must jump though to get 'm to work. If you really like Focusrite because of the good quality of their devices that's no problem of course: I understand why you'd do that. But for somebody starting in Linux? Hmmmm. Maybe not so.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:24 am I personally would never use Focusrite given the hoops you must jump though to get 'm to work.
I've used two different Focusrite devices, all I had to do was plug them in and select the device in my DAW.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Michael Willis wrote: ↑Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:52 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:24 am I personally would never use Focusrite given the hoops you must jump though to get 'm to work.
I've used two different Focusrite devices, all I had to do was plug them in and select the device in my DAW.
That's great. Which models and are they still being sold?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:35 am That's great. Which models and are they still being sold?
2i4 (1st gen) and 18i20 (2nd gen). Neither of which is being manufactured anymore, but are readily available in second hand markets. Also, I understand that @geoffrey's work on kernel drivers makes all of the internal routing features of the current 3rd gen devices available.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Michael Willis wrote: ↑Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:29 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:35 am That's great. Which models and are they still being sold?
2i4 (1st gen) and 18i20 (2nd gen). Neither of which is being manufactured anymore, but are readily available in second hand markets. Also, I understand that @geoffrey's work on kernel drivers makes all of the internal routing features of the current 3rd gen devices available.
Thank you for that information.