Error Message in QTractor When Adding Old Yoshimi Plugin

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RyanH
Established Member

Error Message in QTractor When Adding Old Yoshimi Plugin

Post by RyanH »

I recently replaced my current system's Yoshimi version 2.1.2.2 plugin with the plugin from my previous install, which was version 1.7.0.1. It seemed to open without incident in Carla.

I opened a QTractor project which used the Yoshimi plugin, deleted the plugin from a track and re-added it. When I did this, I received a message that said "existing config older than V 1.6, check settings, save and restart." When I closed the window, the Yoshimi GUI closed and QTractor crashed. I tried again, but this time, instead of closing that error window with the Close button, I closed it with the X at top right. Yoshimi loaded and everything works fine.

So I achieved the end result I wanted, which was to use the old Yoshimi plugin with this newer version of QTractor (0.9.25). However, I'm curious about the error message - specifically, what it means and, more importantly to me, will such an error prevent me from using this older version of the Yoshimi plugin in the future?

(The reason for all this, in case anyone's curious, is that I can't get my saved PAD synth states to sound the same in the new Yoshimi as in the old one, and I want to always be able to re-create/re-record my songs if necessary. No diss intended toward the awesome people who work on Yoshimi.)
rncbc
Established Member

Re: Error Message in QTractor When Adding Old Yoshimi Plugin

Post by rncbc »

it all seems yoshimi has perhaps some retro-compatibility issues, namely about retrofitting to newer or later patches and configurations--it crashes and with it goes the host down as well of course (qtractor in this case).

anyway, it seems to also survived the crash and worked after that, of course sounding a bit/lot different, but that's probably expected, just me saying ;)
cheers

ps. ah. and v0.9.25 is not that new, unless you're talking about early'22 (latest is v0.9.29) :)
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Haha, well, "new" by Ubuntu Studio LTS standards. :lol: Ok, thanks for weighing in.

Thanks to you, too, a_l_u. :)

I'm looking into creating a bootable flash drive of the install I made most of my music on. Progress in software is obviously great and how we got to where we are, but I need to be able to recreate/reuse all my sounds exactly as I tweaked them to be. Preserving all the programs, versions, and settings will be helpful for when an old install reaches end of life while I'm halfway through making an album and the updated software sounds different (which seems to be the case right now).

Cheers.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

RyanH wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:59 am Haha, well, "new" by Ubuntu Studio LTS standards. :lol:
consider yours truly ppa's for the rescue?
https://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/2145
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I may take you up on your kind offer, but first I'm trying to decide whether to stay with Ubuntu Studio or switch back to my old system, which was Kubuntu with Ubuntu Studio wrapper installed over it. I'm having a serious case of the new-install blues. So much tweaking, adding, subtracting, rearranging... :cry: