Guitarix: Jimi Hedrix Pedal Board and Amp

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jasonstone20
Established Member

Re: Guitarix: Jimi Hedrix Pedal Board and Amp

Post by jasonstone20 »

I'll check him out. I saw another guy on YouTube, the video was 10yo, but he had an old Marshall, an original Uni-Vibe, some Fuzz Face pedals that had been modded, and a Vox Wah 846 from 1969, he played some of the Woodstock gig, and he sounded great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6quYBYD7K4&t=660s

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

I just checked him out, amazing!

Last edited by jasonstone20 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Ok, with the LADSPA/LV2 plugins, i have the sound nailed I think:
Gate (LADSPA)
Fuzz Face Mayer
GxSuperFuzz (LV2)
Wah
GxPlexi (LV2)
Vibe
Calf Vintage Delay (LV2)
Plate Reverb

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

I don't want to emulate the exact pedal sound, just what the pedal does, as it has six different modes and an expression pedal.

http://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q-82_ ... .auto.webp
https://media.guitarcenter.com/is/image ... 20x720.jpg
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... experience

Are You Experienced?
Get to know our team of experts!
This article was Written By

Our Product Research Team

Get to know them!
Working closely in conjunction with Eddie Kramer, the legendary recording engineer and producer who captured Hendrix's amazing talent on the albums that redefined the role of the electric guitar forever, DigiTech was chosen by the Hendrix family to model Jimi's incredible tones and make them available to the world.

In order to capture and preserve the accuracy of each of these unique Hendrix sounds, DigiTech employed Production Modeling via the AudioDNA DSP super-chip. (In fact, the Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal so closely models the fine nuances of Jimi's sounds that each pedal requires two of the AudioDNA DSP chips!) This critically acclaimed technology was explicitly designed to help reproduce the studio and live sounds as well as the detailed effects of an artist's sound, as heard on their recordings. This attention to detail ensures that each Jimi Hendrix Experience signature sound is true to the original, as sonically distinctive today as it was when Jimi played it in the studio. In addition, guitarists can draw on any of the modeled sounds as a starting point, with the ability to create and further develop their own tones using the Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal's controls.

By applying its proprietary Production Modeling technology to craft this innovative effects pedal, guitarists can now access key Hendrix sounds from seven classic songs that defined his playing.

These include:
"Purple Haze" Intro and Solo section - modeled on the Fuzz Face pedal played into a 100-Watt Marshall Super Lead amp effected with an EMT plate reverb and Octavia (Solo)
"Little Wing" Intro and Solo - including the tone from the miniature rotary speaker recorded at London's Olympic Studios
"Voodoo Child" Intro and Solo - based on the VOX Clyde McCoy Wah pedal, brown Fender Bassman amp and an EMT plate reverb
"All Along the Watchtower" Intro and Solo - recreated using Hendrix's acoustic guitar plus a 100-Watt Marshall Super Lead amp

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

So I figured out with the two types of fuzz, ie the Fuzz Face and the Ocativa/Octavio, that you need one fuzz with a higher tone voice and one fuzz with a lower tone voice.

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

I will give it a shot and see what results I get:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/guitar ... specmatch/
viewtopic.php?t=12020

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Well, I couldn't get any of the programs that create IR's to run on my machine. Any suggestions for a good app?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi
Well, specmatch is rotted over the last decade, requirements can't be solved any more. (it will only work in a virtaul env this time)
A bit newer is tubeAmp Designer by @olegkapitonov
https://github.com/olegkapitonov/tubeAmp-Designer

true, the resulting amp profile wouldn't run on guitarix, but maybe helps you to come closer to your goal by using the kpp amp.
https://github.com/olegkapitonov/Kapitonov-Plugins-Pack

(Cant remember right now if the kpp amp runs in guitarix, or if you need to use a other host)

regards

On the road again.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

thanks. I tried getting specmatch and qloud running but no luck.

What I am trying to do is just have the same sounds that my pedal has accessible/switchable by MIDI stompbox or MIDI controller on my phone, as I am disalbled and don't have money to spend on buying a new pedal since my case broke and I can't use the expression pedal part or the pedal, as well as I am a bedroom player, I live in a small apartment and can't really play in anything but headphones.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

As I said, specmatch is outdated. It wouldn't run any more on recent distributions. (I'm the maintainer and founder of the guitarix project)
A other way to match a specific sound is MelMatchEQ, a profiling EQ.
https://github.com/brummer10/MelMatchEQ.lv2
Still, you've to run it outside of guitarix (behind, in the flow) by using jalv for example.

On the road again.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Awesome, thank you. I will give it a shot.

jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

I got that to compile. Thank you, this is more of a tool I had in mind in the first place. Your Guitarix program is awesome btw, do you accept donations? I like to contribute to software I find useful.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

jasonstone20 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:42 pm

I got that to compile. Thank you, this is more of a tool I had in mind in the first place. Your Guitarix program is awesome btw, do you accept donations? I like to contribute to software I find useful.

Nice, I'm glad to hear that.
No, there is no donation page for the guitarix project. I'm just happy if someone find it useful.

On the road again.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Ok, figured out a few things. Jimi Hendrix used to use the wah, set on the treble part of the sweep, and have the fuzz face going at the same time to emulate the Octavia/Octavio. The Detune plugin will work in Guitarix, as well as the wah plugin.

On a more general topic, I am not trying to get an exact emulation of the Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience multi-effect pedal. I am just trying to get a basic Jimi Hendrix tone with the pedals and effects he used, which Guitarix does easily and very well.