Guitarix: Jimi Hedrix Pedal Board and Amp

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jasonstone20
Established Member

Guitarix: Jimi Hedrix Pedal Board and Amp

Post by jasonstone20 »

I have a Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal that I am trying to emulate in Guitarix.
It has these sounds it emulates a combination of, with help from Hendrix's Engineer, Eddie Kramer:

Amps:
Marshall Super Lead
Fender Bassman

Pedals:
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Roger Mayer Octavia
Unicord Univibe
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah

The Digitech Experience models these songs:
"Purple Haze"
"Wind Cries Mary"
"Foxey Lady"
"Little Wing"
"All Along The Watchtower"
"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"
"Star Spangled Banner"
"Machine Gun"

Here are my current attempts at a pedal board and amp that will sound like the Digitech Experience pedal in Guitarix:

Amp:
Noise gate
pre 12ax7/master 6V6
Amp Impulse (set at either JTM45 or Bassman)
Cabinet set at Marshall

Effects:
Vibe Mono (Uni-Vibe?)
Detune (Octavio/a ?)

(Choose a Fuzz that sounds closest to you or for the song you are playing)
Axis Face (Fuzz)
Foxey Lady (Fuzz)
Fuzz Face Mayer (Fuzz)

Wah (not sure on the setting, working on a way to get my controller pedal to control the wah)
Scaleable EQ (For Tonestack Adjustments, scooping the mids sounds ok)

Plate Reverb (Reverb)

Phaser (Octavio/a? )
Flanger (Ocavio/a?)

I haven't played around with the Vibe/Flanger/Phaser yet, as I am mostly playing the songs that just use the Fuzz or a blues sound.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Guitarix: Jimi Hedrix Pedal Board and Amp

Post by funkmuscle »

I am a major Jimi Hendrix fan and I almost had a chance to get my hands on that pedal here in Canada as there was a used one and the next day I came back it was gone.

Tramp We've had lots of talks about Jimi Hendrix seeing that we are both fans. If anyone could help you with this it will be him so just hang on and wait for his reply and don't get too anxious. My boy is a very busy man but if anyone can help you with this is him so give it a bit. Damn I wish I had my hands on that pedal! I sound nothing like him when I play but his tone I love.. don't get me wrong I love the way he plays us I've said he is my biggest musical influence and he is my favorite guitar player but I want to be me so I don't want to sound like him but the tone she get or he got, I'm right in there with you.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

funkmucle,
Thanks for the reply. They did have a few of the pedals on Reverb for not a bad price. I am in no hurry so i don't have an issue waiting for more replies. Once again thank you for replying, that is helpful info that you gave. I am also a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, the guy wrote, produced, and played so much awesome music in such a short amount of time it is just incredible. A greatest hits CD with 20 tracks doesn't even scratch the surface.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The fairly new MetalTone.lv2 from guitarix dev might be worth trying in the interim,
has quite a wide range for building effects chains.
Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Just mentioning..

I see people doing trying to do stuff like this all the time, the guitar at the front of the signal chain is immensely important.. Trying to sound like Hendrix (and SRV, 70's Clapton et all) without a Fender Stratocaster will be next to impossible... If you have the Stratocaster you've got half the puzzle solved, the sound and tones of the single coil pickups and the wiring and switching combinations are essential..

This week I'm playing at a Celebration of Life memorial for a good friend who passed away from liver disease, he was a Strat Player and could play so much like Jimi Hendrix it was incredible, he didn't even have the usual Hendrix pedals but he had a Strat and a Marshall and he had the tones and playing style down to a science. I'm not even going to try and sound like Hendrix for the memorial and I know better than to even attempt it with my Telecaster and Fender amps..lol

My only point is modeling is pretty cool and guitar Plugins can get you a lot of the way there but knowing the history and the exact guitars and gear of somebody as influential as Jimi Hendrix is going to be crucial to getting the sound.. I've seen a talented User here @magicalex get some really good results with the tonelib GFX stuff over the years with a Strat.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

glowrak guy,
Thank you, I will try that preset out.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

GMaq,
I do have a Strat, and I have the Vintage Pickups also. There is no way I will ever be able to play as well as Mr. Hendrix, but I really dig his guitar tone, as well as his songs. I am still a novice at playing the guitar, and I am better at setting equipment up and fidgeting with it than I am playing. I can play the intro's of about 5 or 6 songs. I hurt my hand back in 2008, and that is when I was learning the guitar and taking guitar lessons, as well as guitar teaching for my guitar teacher when he had gigs to play. My hand finally got strong enough so I can play guitar again, which makes me a happy man.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

GMaq wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:41 pmI've seen a talented User here @magicalex get some really good results with the tonelib GFX stuff over the years with a Strat.
Thanks, Glen - cheque's in the post!

I agree about the guitar being the main factor (despite the fact Hendrix still sounded like Hendrix on a Flying V or an SG) and have used various emulators (guitarix, tonelib, kpp-tubeamp, amplex, CHOW BYOD) to good effect (to my ears at least). I'm currently back to using Guitarix. The only thing I miss about ToneLib is the univibe and wah emulations which, in my opinion, sound better. It's also marginally easier for someone like me to quickly put together a reasonably faithful signal chain.

Right, I'm off to try out the GxPlexi...
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

@jasonstone20 Please edit the title of this topic. I shudder and lose a heartbeat every time I read "Jimi Hedrix". :?
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

sunrat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am @jasonstone20 Please edit the title of this topic. I shudder and lose a heartbeat every time I read "Jimi Hedrix". :?
Quite sure that's exactly that missing 'n' (pronounce "Ummpf") which all the OP attempts to reach "the sound" were lacking of :wink:
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

sunrat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am @jasonstone20 Please edit the title of this topic. I shudder and lose a heartbeat every time I read "Jimi Hedrix". :?
Lol, so do I! I feel almost lame saying that Hendrix is my main guitar influence(along with Curtis Mayfield), it almost seems cliche.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Quite sure that's exactly that missing 'n' (pronounce "Ummpf") which all the OP attempts to reach "the sound" were lacking of :wink:
Right?!?!?!! LOL!
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Ok, I have made some progress with trying to emulate the Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal using Guitarix(after I am successful with Guitarix, I am going to try and do the same thing with Rakarrak). I finally tracked down some good analogs for the Octavio/Octavia pedal. I was watching Josh Scott of JHS Pedals YouTube channel and found that the deal was also made under the SuperFuzz and Fuzz Master name. I tried the Fuzz Master, and it sounded dead on to the Red channel of the 1 one voicing on the Digitech JHE Pedal. I did try the Foldover Distortion, and the Big Muff Pi, which was close but not perfect. Once I get a MIDI stomp pedal and expression/control pedal, I will work on getting the Wah working. I also read in the Digitech JHE pedal manual that a flanger pedal of some sort was used, as well as a tape delay. I think I now have most of the effects/tone/voicing for Purple Haze, with the Fuzz Face/Fuzz Face Mayer pedal used for the intro and main part, and the Fuzz Master for the solo.

More to come.
jasonstone20
Established Member

Post by jasonstone20 »

Ok, I just found some new LV2 plugins, and they had the SuperFuzz pedal I was looking for. I also found a Marshall JMP 2203 Convolver file when I upgraded to Guitarix 0.44.1. What you all said though was right, you need a guitar with single coils ie a Strat (although a Tele will work in a pinch, apparently there is a legend that the Purple Haze solo was played on a Tele during the recording session because Jimi had broken his guitar at gig the night before) to really get a Hendrix-esque sound, although I have only heard four guitar players that sound even remotely close: Velvert Turner, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Andy Aledort, and Dave Simpson.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

jasonstone20 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:31 pm ...guitar players that sound even remotely close..
Robin Trower ain't half bad.