Someone with MOTU Ultralite MK5 can please test this?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

madmalkav
Established Member

Someone with MOTU Ultralite MK5 can please test this?

Post by madmalkav »

I have read in ASR forum that CueMix 5 is just a web application compiled with Electron, and that if you install the Windows application in the installation folder there is a /resources/app/src/www/ subfolder with the complete uncompiled web application.

Can someone try to load this web application to Linux and see if it works? I don't own any of these devices at the moment.
mrjulius
Established Member

Re: Someone with MOTU Ultralite MK5 can please test this?

Post by mrjulius »

Hi buddy,

Went to a local music store, and tested as you suggested. With a quick overview of the controls, everything seemed to work.

Here's a bit more documentation (although it might be redundant):

First, I installed the cuemix via crossover (Wine). Then I extracted the cuemix html files from ~/.cxoffice/Motu_CueMix/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/

Then I just opened the html file into a browser, and corrected the audio interface IP address

For this I identified the card ip address somehow

I also nmapped the ports:
nmap -p 1-10000 169.254.239.40
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-04-19 17:34 EEST
Nmap scan report for 169.254.239.40
Host is up (0.0067s latency).
Not shown: 9997 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
1280/tcp open pictrography

Ultralite also appeared in Bitwig as expected, but seems to provide no Alsamixer controls. Did no further digging, so theoretically there could be some modprobe options to activate.

This interface seems to be a promising choice, at least compared to RME with absolutely no working mixing UI in linux.

If you find this info helpful, please share your own findings too!

BurningTreeC

Post by BurningTreeC »

Hello,

I stumbled over this post and thought it must be easy creating an electron app out of this source code and so I did.
It's not difficult. Are there people interested in a how to?

Cheers

mwaeti

Post by mwaeti »

Hi,

I went ahead and got one of these interfaces since I'd read the dsp functions might be linux compatible. Basically it has been working fine with jack and pulseaudio, but I haven't been able to get the cuemix web app to recognize the device when I enter its IP address. It looks like my computer is recognizing the ultralite as a network device, but for example when I tried nmap it returns that all ports are in ignored states. Where should I start troubleshooting this? I don't know much about networking so this is pretty new to me. Thanks for any guidance.

mrjulius
Established Member

Post by mrjulius »

@mwaeti Thats interesting. Are you sure you've got he correct IP address?

At least for me, the default address in cuemix was wrong. Also, if you to scan your own IP address by mistake, it would probably give you the answer you described.

It actually seems I checked "ip addr" for my pc:s IP address in the network and then scanned the whole subnet (ie "nmap -sP 169.254.0.0/16" ). This should find both your PC and the audio interface.

There's also a chance the IP address is printed on a label in the back of the unit.

In any case, based on the symptoms you described, I'd put my money on this being due to an incorrect IP address.

I hope this helps at all!

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi,

So you can confirm that the mk5 (without avb and ethernet port) work well under linux with the control center via web browser?

Thanks

P.

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

In the thread about the new motu 828, great news for us from Motu! Unofficial but...great!

"Jared from MOTU here in a totally unofficial capacity - I was really happy to see the level of excitement about the new 828 in Linux circles! To try to help you guys out, I put together this unofficial build of CueMix 5 for Linux in my spare time that should allow you to control your 828 while it's plugged into a Linux computer. To use it, just go into the build folder and run com.motu.CueMix5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WFhmTM ... sp=sharing MD5 Sum: 9479774d594ca9f5e80c876fd62eacb3

This should work for local control of both UltraLite-mk5 and 828 devices - For UltraLite-mk5, it should show up on the discovery page; for the 828, you'll need to click the gear icon and choose "Enable WebMIDI".

Would love to hear how it goes if it's helpful for anyone!"