My 1st self-made midi

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

My 1st self-made midi

Post by D-Tuned »

A really capable guy has been helping me with creating midis, he's actually been spoiling me by doing 99% of the work and I would just edit what I wanted to change. When I stumbled upon this interpretation of "The Road To Hell" I figured it was time, time to roll my own at long last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShjJd1uVG-s

Maybe it's because the song is easy but I'm quite happy with what I've done so far. I'd like to solve 2 outstanding problems at the start. The beat is 135 bpm and the rhythm(?) guitar is playing chords at this rate. But the duration/rest pairing in "my" notation just doesn't sound right. What should I be using (already tried a few different ones)?

beatchords.png
beatchords.png (14.37 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

Another obstacle is the chords which to me look and sound more like 5's (like the A5 in the attached staff), Yet if I run the midi with my 5's it sounds off. I was never good at reading the fingers in a video :-( Is he playing an E7 or an E5 @ 30 seconds into the video?

TIA
BobUnderwood
Established Member

Re: My 1st self-made midi

Post by BobUnderwood »

> But the duration/rest pairing in "my" notation just doesn't sound right. What should I be using (already tried a few different ones)?
Eighth-notes - no rests.

He's mostly playing what you're calling '5' chords - much muting of strings going on.

> Is he playing an E7 or an E5 @ 30 seconds into the video?
Looks like E7 - sounds like E5.
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

BobUnderwood wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:24 am > But the duration/rest pairing in "my" notation just doesn't sound right. What should I be using (already tried a few different ones)?
Eighth-notes - no rests.
Thanks, it was too obvious and in front of my nose
He's mostly playing what you're calling '5' chords - much muting of strings going on.

> Is he playing an E7 or an E5 @ 30 seconds into the video?
Looks like E7 - sounds like E5.
I meant 'power' chords, I call'em 5's (that tells me something, 'power' doesn't)

And while correcting to 8ths I also noticed that he shifts into a F5-E5-A5 progression in the middle of a bar each time, haven't gotten around to seeing how he reverts to on-bar yet (early morning here, gotta go do useful things now) :lol:
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Done with the 5 chords, GM-29 (muted guitar) sounds pretty acceptable
the-5-chords.png
the-5-chords.png (56.41 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
In the process I also learned how note duration is linked to wave length i.e. a gong cannot be sounded as 16th

--
AvLinux (Debian) GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), Kernel=5.18.0-17.1-liquorix-amd64
on x86_64, DM=Unknown, DE=XFCE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot
https://i.imgur.com/xY6tWbG.png
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive