GOOD NEWS: Some success with...

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tapenade
Established Member

GOOD NEWS: Some success with...

Post by tapenade »

If you feel like it, post up any success stories relating to Linux Distributions and other related software.

I just wanted to say, that I'm happy with Manjaro Linux. I had some difficulty with Pacman, especially as pertains to the mirrors because the databases got temporarily messed up when I interrupted some complicated updates. But the internet had the solution fixes posted up, so I was able to clear out the databases and caches and rebuild them and work with different servers in nice variety of countries.

I really miss synaptic and gdebi and the "apt-get" type of commands, but Pacman has it's advantages too. I just have to start memorizing those now too.

Anyways, I'm really happy that Manjaro is still supported. Most of the Linux programs that I like and/or need were available there without any trouble.
The time taken to set up my recent new computer was much less time needed compared to previous installs.

I had bought a laptop computer on sale from an office supply store and successfully deleted Windows and formatted the slightly unusual solid state drive.
Hopefully ext3 is OK, but I think it is.

What kinds of varieties of good news do ya'all have too?
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Re: GOOD NEWS: Some success with...

Post by thetotalchaos »

tapenade wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:44 pm I had bought a laptop computer on sale from an office supply store and successfully deleted Windows and formatted the slightly unusual solid state drive.
Actually it isn't!
EXT3 does not have a proper SSD support, like lack of "Discard" function etc. EXT3 although being an awesome HDD filesystem, is not made with SSD in mind, years before SSD existed.
EXT4 is my recommendation for SSD drive. With 'noatime,discard' options added in /etc/fstab.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

thetotalchaos wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:58 pm
tapenade wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:44 pm I had bought a laptop computer on sale from an office supply store and successfully deleted Windows and formatted the slightly unusual solid state drive.
Actually it isn't!
EXT3 does not have a proper SSD support, like lack of "Discard" function etc. EXT3 although being an awesome HDD filesystem, is not made with SSD in mind, years before SSD existed.
EXT4 is my recommendation for SSD drive. With 'noatime,discard' options added in /etc/fstab.
Hmm, thanks. I will look into that. I know I installed some kind of a routine to regularly do FSTRIM. Is that good enough?
tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

So far I'm having good luck with Yabridge, thank goodness.
This really makes the whole computer setup process for me a lot easier.

Now I can focus on choosing which VST(i)'s to include on my system after demoing some of them.

This makes me much happier since I already can get arcDevMainliner (a really nice oldie) and some newby VSTi's to work.
Terry West MASQUARADE works too! That's great news for a test run.

I'm using an RT kernel, but I implemented most of the recommended optimizations and stuff.
I have to review some of the older advice, though. And I still need to implement a few other things.
tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

I got FL Studio to work. This is good.
Here's a clue about what kind of music I'll be making in the future:

In the past, FL Studio needed some Windows Fonts to work, so I copied some of the Liberation fonts into C:\Windows\Fonts and renamed them to Arial and Courier New. But I might not have needed to do that. I'm planning on somehow getting some duplicates of Windows TTF's. And it's kinda moot because I think the recent edition isn't dependent upon Windows fonts. OR MAYBE... Manjaro Linux or WINE evolved a workaround.

Either way, it's working without any missing menus or text, thank goodness.

I'm looking forward to making some highly syncopated music.
I haven't yet loaded up some breakbeats, but those will work nicely.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tapenade wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:48 am I got FL Studio to work. This is good.
How big audio buffers you need to have audio without any cracks? I have experience that windows DAWs running with wine need huge buffers which means big latency.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Have you tried LMMS? Very similar to FL, but you won't need Wine, Windows fonts, etc.

---scott
---scott

LinkedIn
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

scott.thomason wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:52 pm
Have you tried LMMS? Very similar to FL, but you won't need Wine, Windows fonts, etc.

---scott
True but if he wants to use VST on Linux, LMMS needs wine installed.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Waydroid

Sometimes Linux lags behind but in this case Linux was first -- it's possible to run Android apps on Linux. I wanted to get this working so I could use my sheet music app Fakebook Pro.

Waydroid uses Wayland and since I am still on X11 you might think that was a problem. It's not. Amazingly Weston, a Wayland compositor, can run inside X11. I launch Weston, then launch an Android app from inside Weston.