Can the Korg m3r be controlled by the PC?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Can the Korg m3r be controlled by the PC?

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi gang,
I'm looking for an Korg m3r. But...seen the (vrry) limited controls, if you can call then that, I wonder if MIDI control can be sent to it from some software.
I have as yet no idea what can do that...
Thanks
Melissa
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Can the Korg m3r be controlled by the PC?

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, there should be 5pin din midi in, out, and thru ports on the back of the Korg. Using a hardware synth that has midi keyboard and an arpeggiator, you should be able to play and record the arped sounds of both instruments together if you have a multi input audio interface. I have a tiny IK Multimedia UNO synth, connected to an old Alesis synth, and can trigger it's sounds and the Alesis sounds together by either the UNO's flat touch keys, or the Alesis piano-action keys. I assume the Korg rack would be a great match sound-wise. Your Monolog should also be a great pairing, people love those beasts!

Some free vst arpeggiator plugins (wrapped for linux by yabridge) have software midi-out which might be connectable to both of the Korgs, to play pairs of sounds and softsynths. Arptron from Psychic Modulation, Dualism from Ugo, and Drumburst from the late HG Fortune, are 32 bit, but quite capable. A pair of great sounding modern 64 bit plugin synths that have midi-out on their arpeggiators, are KV331's SynthMaster 2 and SynthMaster One (different synths, similar names, and often bundled at sale pricing.). Be careful not to have too much fun experimenting. :wink:
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:30 am Hi, there should be 5pin din midi in, out, and thru ports on the back of the Korg. Using a hardware synth that has midi keyboard and an arpeggiator, you should be able to play and record the arped sounds of both instruments together if you have a multi input audio interface. I have a tiny IK Multimedia UNO synth, connected to an old Alesis synth, and can trigger it's sounds and the Alesis sounds together by either the UNO's flat touch keys, or the Alesis piano-action keys. I assume the Korg rack would be a great match sound-wise. Your Monolog should also be a great pairing, people love those beasts!

Some free vst arpeggiator plugins (wrapped for linux by yabridge) have software midi-out which might be connectable to both of the Korgs, to play pairs of sounds and softsynths. Arptron from Psychic Modulation, Dualism from Ugo, and Drumburst from the late HG Fortune, are 32 bit, but quite capable. A pair of great sounding modern 64 bit plugin synths that have midi-out on their arpeggiators, are KV331's SynthMaster 2 and SynthMaster One (different synths, similar names, and often bundled at sale pricing.). Be careful not to have too much fun experimenting. :wink:
Thanks!
So, my purchase has potential. Supe. The battery is dead, so I need to get it serviced, but, that is okay...I paid 60E for the synth to begin with.
It should (judging by the manual) be possible to make patches oneself...editting seems to be somewhat technical...there is no software interface for it on Linux...but...sending MIDI to the thing should not be a problem, that way I could at least select a voice in a more decent manner :wink:
Hmm, Monologie and M3r...good idea... :)
I'll try to keep the pleasure overload balanced with chocolate :lol:
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

You can make your own UI with https://ctrlr.org/nightly/?C=M;O=D. I had some issues getting it to work, but it did in the end on Ubuntu Studio. Maybe there is already an existing panel for the M3R. Just looked that synth up on ebay and it seems there's also a remote device called RE1 for it.