Suggestion: Compile Option for No GUI

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

BenFranske

Suggestion: Compile Option for No GUI

Post by BenFranske »

I'd like to suggest an option to fully disable the GUI during compilation. I'm using DG for some embedded stuff on Raspberry Pis for live play and would prefer being able to build it without a GUI.

The best would be if it could run as a daemon and then all settings could be controlled by OSC so that I could write a web app or setup a separate physical control interface. Think something like a Roland/Alesis/2Box/etc drum module but powered by DrumGizmo...
corrados
Established Member

Re: Suggestion: Compile Option for No GUI

Post by corrados »

I am running Drumgizmo on a Raspberry Pi 3 with my Edrumulus prototype:
https://github.com/corrados/edrumulus/b ... ype-3-hd-1
Here, I am running Drumgizmo with the existing CLI interface (without any GUI). That works perfectly for me.
dingodoppelt
Established Member

Post by dingodoppelt »

Sorry to revive this thread,
but I would like to see a no_gui option for the lv2 plugin as well. I try to compile drumgizmo for the mod dwarf, which needs a headless build option. My question is how hard it would theoretically be to make such an option available and which steps would be needed.
I guess there needs to be at least some control over the running plugin, so it would be necessary to expose some of the gui controls as lv2 parameters such as bleed control or humanizer settings and so on. I'd love to have a go at it but I don't really know where to start.
cheers, nils

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I'm afraid this would not be possible with the current way the plugin works as there simply would be no way to instruct the plugin which drumkit to load.
I suppose the setting could be fed into the plugin from the host, but that would require the host to have a pre-store settings blob from somewhere(tm) which I cannot see how would be done...
I guess, in theory, it might be possible to somehow store the settings on for example Ardour and then subtract and "inject" those setting into the dwarf host - but I have no clue how/if that would work.

dingodoppelt
Established Member

Post by dingodoppelt »

:cry:
sad news, indeed.
i thought about the possibility of "injecting" the settings as well. i'm using carla and it generates an xml file with all plugin states and i never even have to launch the drumgizmo gui. i'll ask falktx about how the plugin states are saved in a mod pedalboard preset.
anyway, i want to try to figure out how to compile the lv2 for the dwarf and i need to get rid of the gui stuff altogether. could that be done in the makefile or configure script, or is the code dependant on a gui? even if i couldn't load a kit and not hear any sound i'd still want to have drumgizmo on the dwarf. (don't judge me, i've always been like that ;)
even a quick and dirty hack would suffice for now