What place does music hold in your life?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: What place does music hold in your life?

Post by Impostor »

Mostly on cd's, which are put near my cd player; on my pc, which resides in the mancave; and on my mp3 player which can be anywhere in the house.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:16 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote:

I like to fiddle with synthesizers

No, no. You're supposed to play a synth with your fingers, not a horse-hair bow.

There is a synth called M-Theory by UGO, now free, that has bowing as one of several string attack options.
Works fine via linvst or yabridge

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1901/

Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Basslint wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:17 am

Hard question to answer, I know: what place does music hold in your life?

My grandmother had an antique square-grand piano that was so out of tune, it sounded oriental, as I flailed away on the black notes. Loved making music from an early age.

In addition to being great fun, some 'proof of practice' is a sort of personal validation, that I'm producing as well as consuming and enjoying the results of a few favorites. I try to get others interested in making music, and how it's changed for newcomers over the years. Music is also a great part of worship, whether vocal or instrumental. Listening to 3rd party music is getting more limited, usually older
Maverick City/Worshipmob, Dante Bowe, and Steffany Gretzinger. With some Gipsy Kings, Imogen Heap, and Poco, whose creativity undoes a lot of gray clouds. And Dave Simpson intros/outros to motivate guitar practice.

Back to the happy grindestone!

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

When I was a kid, my friend and I used to spend hours walking around the neighbourhood, listening to our Walkmans (walkmen?) - he even had one that had two headphone jacks, so when the batteries on mine were dead, we could both listen to his, strolling awkwardly close together so as not to yank my cord out of his device. As a young adult, I moved to another city and moved back "home" more than 20 years later. After being back a few months, I realized that, decades later, I'm still walking around the same neighbourhoods, listening to music - often the same music - as I was as a kid... although now on a phone (which would have been inconceivable back then).

Music is a constant, either flowing into my ears, out from my fingers, or buzzing around in my head. I echo @albert90's sentiment, though, about it controlling my mood. I'm so sensitive to how music makes me feel that TV shows/commercials and most stores can be extremely unpleasant because a lot of the typical, modern musical tastes grate so harshly on my ears and soul.

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

It has always been there...

For me as a kid, the dream was to get a piano - which of course my parents couldn't afford. So later it was "bought a guitar to punish your ma", and so on. I was lucky to be in good bands as a teenager, and in the studios before I turned 20. Don't know if it's caused by that, but humming "Wiegenlied" to my daughter when she was little, and now she plays french horn and piano (tho she still wants to study medicine)...

I quasi re-discovered making music in 2017 after I've been diagnosed with atherosclerosis. I had an audio interface and a microphone already because I made howto videos for my employer at the time, so I finally bought a fretless bass (which in my youth I always wanted), and later in 2020 also an upright.

Discovered Wikiloops in the beginning of 2018 which was great - music brings people from the whole world together, so instead of making war we're making music there. Instantly fell in love with that idea, so I stayed, with no commercial interests anyway. Now I'm close to retiring from professional work, looking very much forward to making more music then.

more about me on my blog
Devliinn

Post by Devliinn »

for me music is always something that touches my heart, i love music very much, you can listen to your favorite songs on bn radio

modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

I'm only listening to music until something better comes along.

Seriously though, at it's best I find it like a clear, safe passageway to a deeply spiritual place, if only ever so briefly. Hard to conceive of many things fundamentally more beautiful.