hmm

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

hmm

Post by Hiroki Futami »

:oops:
Last edited by Hiroki Futami on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: I remixed a song I created in Windows with Ardour.

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I really like the song itself. But the drum sound doesn't appeal to me, especially the snare. The entire drumkit is too "techno-synthetic". I'd like to hear it with a more natural, acoustic kit.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:01 pm I really like the song itself. But the drum sound doesn't appeal to me, especially the snare. The entire drumkit is too "techno-synthetic". I'd like to hear it with a more natural, acoustic kit.
Thank you for listening.

The snare is too synthetic, I see.
I thought it would be better if it was more aggressive, but I guess it had the opposite effect. Thank you for your valuable opinion! :)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Hiroki Futami wrote:I thought it would be better if it was more aggressive
That's what I assumed your intention was. But I felt the song itself, and the busy arrangement, had plenty of energy and "aggression". Therefore, it didn't need the drum sound to be so "harsh" in a synthesized way. If it was a short piece, it wouldn't be as overbearing. But after awhile, that constantly explosive snare (with little variation) became distracting to me, and then unpleasant.

As a fan of classic progressive rock (King Crimson, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, VDGG, etc), I'm accustomed to hearing more natural instrumentation. I think you'd get much closer to that feel if you swap that electronic kit for an acoustic kit. If you want an aggressive sound, I'd try a kit with rototoms like Bill Bruford circa 1977. Those have a bit more attack and ring than regular toms. Plus, Bruford plays rimshots on his snare, so use a kit with rimshots (preferably one with round robins so the listener gets a little subtle variation in the tone. Like with jazz, progressive rock shouldn't sound too robotic and synthesized... well, less so than with for example, dubstep. Your drumkit was a little too "techno" for my taste).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Thanks. :?
milo
Established Member

Re: hmm

Post by milo »

Hiroki Futami wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:50 pm I'm gonna reconsider.
Did you remove the link? Limited time offer, I guess?

Please repost the track, even if you want to remix or remaster it first. And don't let anyone's negative feedback stop you from making or sharing your music. I, for one, think your music is worth hearing.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:51 am Did you remove the link? Limited time offer, I guess?

Please repost the track, even if you want to remix or remaster it first. And don't let anyone's negative feedback stop you from making or sharing your music. I, for one, think your music is worth hearing.
I agree with the good @milo. This forum is a really nice place, the (very few) critiques posted are 99% of the times charitable and with the intent to help everyone here get even better at their craft. Also, @Hiroki Futami I think your previous tracks got very positive feedback before, so I think you will always find a public ready to enjoy your music here :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

milo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:51 am
Hiroki Futami wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:50 pm I'm gonna reconsider.
Did you remove the link? Limited time offer, I guess?

Thank you, milo.
I was a little depressed, but I'm okay now. :)

I'm currently working on a new VOCALOID project, so please wait a little while before I post again.

I'd like to hear what you think, milo.
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Basslint wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 am
milo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:51 am Did you remove the link? Limited time offer, I guess?

I agree with the good @milo. This forum is a really nice place, the (very few) critiques posted are 99% of the times charitable and with the intent to help everyone here get even better at their craft. Also, @Hiroki Futami I think your previous tracks got very positive feedback before, so I think you will always find a public ready to enjoy your music here :D

Thank you, Basslint. I'm fine now. :)
I'll be honest with you.
"I don't like the sound of this." This happens to everyone.
But, "Is this sound so bad that you have to say so much about it?" I thought.
So I was a little depressed. :(

I'm currently working on my next VOCALOID song again, so please wait a bit for me to repost it.

Thanks ....
Thank you...
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yeah, I get that. I react the same way to negative feedback. It helps a lot to wait a day or so before replying if you are feeling angry. I'm glad you're better.

And I'm especially glad that you didn't decide to leave the forum, because I want to hear more of your awesome music!
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

I had to go back to Windows for a reason.
I'll probably pop into the Ardour community from time to time, but I don't think I'll be posting here anymore.
(I'm not quitting Linux because I was denied a song before! just for the record.)
Thanks everyone for the short time I've been here. It's been fun!
I'm on Twitter and Soundcloud if you want to find me.
See you soon.

Linuxファンのみんな、楽しい時間をありがとう :D
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi man,

Sorry you decided to remove the song.

As I too like to give criticism when I comment on songs I feel a bit affected by this. To defend this position; this is a musicians forum and I have always reasoned that posting here means you are open to feedback. All in the spirit of self improvement.

But it is a fine line to walk, we are all different and take criticism differently... and I apologize to whomever may have taken my own comments badly.

As for this specific song, I Think I remember it, very energetic pop/rock? If so, you have, in my opinion, really very little to worry about. Excellent song with excellent production. :) Any critique would only be details that are therefore debatable.

Good luck with your next song!
MusE DAW
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Things have turned around.
It will take me a little while to get back, but you'll have to wait and see.