Anyone Leaving Spotify After Joe Rogan Incident?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jeax
Established Member

Anyone Leaving Spotify After Joe Rogan Incident?

Post by Jeax »

I've seen a lot of tweets stating musicians left Spotify after some COVID remarks from the Joe Rogan podcast.

If you removed your music from Spotify over this, why? And what are you doing to replace Spotify?
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Anyone Leaving Spotify After Joe Rogan Incident?

Post by tavasti »

Don't like corona denialists, but neither I like cancel culture. I continue in spotify both as customer and artist.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

I don't use Spotify but It is hugely encouraging and a positive that wealthy social activists and their supporters are leaving Spotify for clubs that cater to their particular ideologies and financial interests.

I encourage all worshippers of Dr Fauci, Neil Young, the State and the Corporation to follow them to their private clubs, to stay there and to leave the rest of the world in peace to decide and think for ourselves about issues that impact our lives.

I do not accept orders, ideological beliefs, made up laws to control my life and claims about science from Neil Young. If you had any functional intelligence whatsoever, neither would you. A Southern Man didn't need him around anyhow and neither do I.

The truth about Rogan
https://rumble.com/vtwq7s-the-truth-abo ... ation.html

Last edited by asbak on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I find it both stupefying and amusing that the relatively libertarian notion of freedom of association is so often recast as something bad in situations like this.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

agreed, but I wonder if this question should be discussed in "General Music Discussion"?
(And, for the in-between question/opinion/rant as far as I know the net is already infested with big fora or apps for loonies discussions not related to music or linux then why spread the mold further?)

As for the initial question, I didn't even know the existence of JR befor that and still vastly won't even try, quite the same with Spotify, it sometimes crossed my path when some fellow would post a link towards it then I usually simply close the page when it reads "please login" unless that's one of the days I've got time to check if I can find where I noted the bloody login/pass for a fake passive account on that turmoil, barely.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Wherefore art "spot E fye" thou speakest of.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm agreed, but I wonder if this question should be discussed in "General Music Discussion"?
I didn't see a section dedicated to music distribution / aggregation. Where else here would the discussion better fit?
Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm As for the initial question, I didn't even know the existence of JR befor that and still vastly won't even try, quite the same with Spotify,
I rarely hear about someone not using Spotify. What do you use instead? YouTube? Soundcloud?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

asbak, asbak, asbak, what are we going to do with you? It seems you haven't thought this through.

If you don't get science, fair enough, but why then are you making pronouncements on the subject?

Using a musical analogy if professional scientists are like accomplished musicians, the hokey and homespun material coming out of, eh ... whatever movement it is, is like a two year old banging on a toy keyboard.

It's mostly an emotional argument coming from the rightwing. Awww, diddums, have you got a bad feeling about that science stuff?

Just to deal with one point : why do you believe videos on rumble, and not scientists? What makes videos from rumble and elsewhere true, and graphs, statitistics, mathematical models and projections unture? Why is a good old boy in a tie-dye t-shirt credible, where a scientist is obviously a stooge of an unspecified agenda?
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Jeax wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:37 pm
Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm agreed, but I wonder if this question should be discussed in "General Music Discussion"?
I didn't see a section dedicated to music distribution / aggregation. Where else here would the discussion better fit?
You're right, I'm sorry if my poor writing made you think that my first sentence was about your initial post, it wasn't and more after the blurbs it seemed to rise'up in some of its following notananswers -- I was there only minding just another valid question thread would quite fast turn to another useless or pointless flamewar. To your initial and valid question I tried to answer properly in my ending paragraph, I did, below, my best to complete the answer after your complementary request ;)

Jeax wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:37 pm
Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm As for the initial question, I didn't even know the existence of JR befor that and still vastly won't even try, quite the same with Spotify,
I rarely hear about someone not using Spotify. What do you use instead? YouTube? Soundcloud?
Well, sadly, yes, and Vimeo or akin, but you'll have to take into account that I'm nowadays not looking for any paid exchange of my work unless it goes as a basis for another specific work (like theatre or film) thus my publications are essentially "vanity case" (or scholar inciting baretimes) and I wouldn't be of any valid advice to anyone younger willing to actually publish and live off it.

In short, your question and some of its answers belong here and some of the posts (as mine might) may absolutely belong to

Code: Select all

cat > /dev/null
;)
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:58 pm [...]Vimeo or akin[...]
Vimeo? You're obviously somewhat of a FOSS advocate. Why not PeerTube?
Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:58 pm [...] your question and some of its answers belong here and some of the posts (as mine might) may absolutely belong to [the void]
Much agreed there.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

merlyn wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:08 pm asbak, asbak, asbak, what are we going to do with you? It seems you haven't thought this through.
I imagine "we" won't be satisfied until some of us are cancelled, boxcar'd off to the Gulag, forced to watch the BBC and read the Guardian in re-education camp and the Clockwork Orange final solution wellness program has been completed.

:mrgreen:
If you don't get science, fair enough, but why then are you making pronouncements on the subject?
There are people who believe in the science of the perpetual motion engine, and there are people who don't. I don't believe in perpetual motion science and I don't believe in politicians and scientists who preach science yet are routinely caught cheating at their own health & safety regimes.
I could elaborate but I won't because it is pointless.

I also never knew that science is absolute and that their science is and can never be wrong or riddled with errors, that screw-ups do not occur in science, that all scientists are benevolent and honest people who only tell us the truth all of the time and that science can not possibly ever by motivated by profit and personal gain to unload pollution and poisons on humans and the environment.

If you believe in all of the above you have bigger problems than I do.

It's mostly an emotional argument coming from the rightwing. Awww, diddums, have you got a bad feeling about that science stuff?
"Blah blah rightwing white man bad orange man bad misogynist you must be in the KKK". That's an intellectually lazy attempt at a smear. Too easy.
Just to deal with one point : why do you believe videos on rumble, and not scientists? What makes videos from rumble and elsewhere true, and graphs, statitistics, mathematical models and projections unture? Why is a good old boy in a tie-dye t-shirt credible, where a scientist is obviously a stooge of an unspecified agenda?
The rumble video was satire. A very dangerous practice which I'm sure will soon be banned and cancelled along with many other things, but in the mean time here are a couple of parting thoughts.

merlyn, I'm not here to debate nutters and cultists about quackery so I won't, but I will leave you with this thought.

What people want to poison themselves with, be it fentanyl, happy pills, botox or Fauci science (a man with a distinguished track record in torturing puppies) - well, that's up to them and I fully support their poor life choices because as adults they are responsible for their own lives.

I have personally conducted research and experiments into the covid phenomenon and am living and walking proof that a magic injection is not required to survive covid. I have also encountered colleagues at work, pumped up with every "vaccination" and "booster" imaginable who are radical true, true believers in the science and very cautious, yet still got the plague and went off work for weeks.

Neil Young is welcome to believe in quackery and cancelling himself from Spotify.

Where I draw the line is where Neil & co take it upon themselves to decide for me what I may or may not listen to, what the views of others are (who are often highly qualified people) and what the facts are.

Neil Young facts are fine - with Neil. He can invent whatever facts and alternate reality he wants to, I have no objections.

All I ask for is that he extend the same courtesy to the rest of the public and that he not inflict his personal brand of nuttery on myself, nor pollute public space with it. If he wants his cancel culture he can have his cancel culture and keep his cancel culture.

That is not an unreasonable request from myself. When others start assuming they will decide and dictate what is best for me and my life we are going to have a problem.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

So persecuted, oh my!
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

merlyn wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:08 pm asbak, asbak, asbak, what are we going to do with you? It seems you haven't thought this through.

Using a musical analogy if professional scientists are like accomplished musicians, the hokey and homespun material coming out of, eh ... whatever movement it is, is like a two year old banging on a toy keyboard.

Part of me wonders, why I wasting energy on somebody who tries to win an argument with calling some people right wing.

Maybe you can explain to me , why this person Peter Borger is not a scientist ?
https://twitter.com/borgerpieter

P. Borger (MSc, PhD) molecular biologist, science writer & author.

I am asking because you accuse asbak of not listening to scientist. So Pieter Borger must not be a scientist :?

Or maybe you only consider people to be scientist if they follow the main stream media narrative ?

Pieter Borger who has designed pcr test. Who says the pcr test is a very use full tool, but not for finding covid 19 infections.
Then he also says they (Corman and Drosten) set up their pcr test wrong. To keep it simple they use way to many cycles, to get reliable data.
If you use to many cycles, you will always find something, but the question becomes what did you find?

I am for over two years now still waiting for somebody to explain to me why Borger is wrong.

For more details:
https://cormandrostenreview.com/
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Jeax wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:37 pm I've seen a lot of tweets stating musicians left Spotify after some COVID remarks from the Joe Rogan podcast.

If you removed your music from Spotify over this, why? And what are you doing to replace Spotify?
Ahem...

Back to what you actually asked... I have a few albums on Spotify and my small Label has a dozen or so albums by others on it (and the other streaming services).. I don't really care about what either Rogan or Young have to say enough to lose the convenience of sharing our music with the dozens of friends and family members that have Spotify subscriptions. Non-geeks and non-musicians don't know or care enough about Bandcamp and Soundcloud et al to even find and install them on their phone and in the present day the majority of listeners are going to view and listen on their phone whether that is a good thing or not. Platforms should be apolitical in my humble opinion and a Podcast Platform should welcome a diversity of civil discourse. In a normal world Young would go on Rogans show and they would duke it out face to face to the intellectual benefit of all of us to hear a compelling argument for both sides and then enjoy the freedom to draw our own conclusions. It seems that isn't possible for people to do any more..
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I can only agree. After two years of this discussion, we have not come closer.

What maybe surprises me most, is that a lot of people want to silence the other side.

If you don't like Joe Rogan, don't watch him.

I had before this story hit facebook, not even heard of Joe Rogan, I think.

Could this be because he has more viewers then some official American main stream media companies?