Best Way To Use Wine In AVLinux?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mdiemer
Established Member

Best Way To Use Wine In AVLinux?

Post by mdiemer »

I would like to install Garritan Personal Orchestra and use it in Muse. What is the best way to do this? Play On Linux? Just click on the exe. file and run it, since wine is already installed in AVLinux? What about the Wine Prefix? And how do you actually open your C Drive? I can't find mine.

Last night I installed sforzando using Play On Linux, but I can't find it today to open it up and see if it works. Also, will I need a bridge, like Carla, Linvst, or Yabridge? If so, which is the easiest of those to use? Last year when I tried to do Reaper on Linux, I could not figure out Linvst and had to abandon the attempt.

I'm determined to forge ahead this time, with some help along the way I hope (not that the Reaper folks didn't try to help me. In fact Linvst dev himself tried. There was either something wrong with my setup, or with me and my Linux skills. I'm not a noob, but I'm also not that far advanced).
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Best Way To Use Wine In AVLinux?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The current release of AV Linux comes with Wine-Staging and LinVST all set up already so no need to install Play on Linux or anything like that, in fact installing that may try to install a different version of Wine or something and screw up what's already there

There is detailed information about Wine and LinVST at your fingertips in the AV Linux User Manual found in your 'Accessories' menu. Your Wine folder is a hidden folder in your User's home folder called '.wine' if you can't see it hit Ctrl+H in the File Manager while you are in your home folder.

There is also a whole Youtube Video here explaining how to use LinVST in AV Linux MX Edition:
https://youtu.be/JME0E7ooP18

I'm sorry but I've written a User Manual and made explicit Videos about this stuff and people still start ripping stuff out and installing other stuff at the first sign of trouble... :?

When you download a Windows program with an .exe installer double clicking on it should launch it... beyond that the info in the Manual and the Video should explain what you need to do..
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Well I have made some progress. I got sforzando up and running in Carla, inside Muse. This is actually farther than I ever got last year with Reaper. Then I could only get standalone vsts running, but not inside Reaper. Carla seems much eaiser than Linvst or Yabridge. Working now on GPO, hopefully will have that tonight.

any thoughts are still welcome re: best way to do this. right now I'm all over the place. somehow I'm making progress., but maybe not the best way?
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

GMaq wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 am Hi,

The current release of AV Linux comes with Wine-Staging and LinVST all set up already so no need to install Play on Linux or anything like that, in fact installing that may try to install a different version of Wine or something and screw up what's already there

There is detailed information about Wine and LinVST at your fingertips in the AV Linux User Manual found in your 'Accessories' menu. Your Wine folder is a hidden folder in your User's home folder called '.wine' if you can't see it hit Ctrl+H in the File Manager while you are in your home folder.

There is also a whole Youtube Video here explaining how to use LinVST in AV Linux MX Edition:
https://youtu.be/JME0E7ooP18

I'm sorry but I've written a User Manual and made explicit Videos about this stuff and people still start ripping stuff out and installing other stuff at the first sign of trouble... :?

When you download a Windows program with an .exe installer double clicking on it should launch it... beyond that the info in the Manual and the Video should explain what you need to do..
I must have been typing my last post as you were typing yours. I really appreciate the reply, GMaq. I should have read more. Still, some of us need to get our hands dirty and learn by doing. Also, not everyone learns well watching videos or even reading tutorials. It can all seem so abstract. Very clear to those who get it, very confusing to those who don't. I will now read the manual, and thanks for not being too harsh with me. :roll:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi again,

I feel like I'm being kinda harsh... :oops: I'm neck deep in writing User Manual updates right now and it makes me grumpy!!

There is no reason that WinVST's set up properly with LinVST as per the instructions wouldn't work in Reaper like they do in Ardour... I have not personally tested LinVST wrapped Windows VST in MuSE but I can't see how they wouldn't work. You shouldn't need an intermediary like Carla, Carla is great for what it is but it is far from ideal for hosting Windows VST's in Linux hosts..

1. Are you sure you have properly processed any new Windows Plugins on the system with LinVST before trying to load them in a DAW?

2. Are you sure your DAWs have had any non-standard WinVST folders added to their plugin scan Paths and scanned before trying to use them in a DAW..

Watch the Video and see how it works with Ardour and you can apply the same basic workflow to Reaper or anything else..
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Thanks again Gmaq. Not being harsh at all. Your manual is about the best manual i have ever seen, and clearly shows the tremendous level of commitment you have in this project.

I'm one of those right-brained people who process info differently than most. analytical things sometimes throw me. I will take your advice and watch the video. Eventually it will click. I'm sure I'll get it this time. Have to, as my divorce from windows is all but complete. If I don't get up and running making music on Linux, there's really no alternative. :o
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Okay, I think I have it! The step that was missing was adding /usr/local/lib/vst to Muse's scan path. I now have the Aria Player up and it loads Garritan Personal Orchestra files. I authorized it by importing the license, which is a .png photo keycard. It's rather unorthodox, but you just pretend you're loading an instrument, but then you select instead the keycard. I got this idea from the Plogue forum, which makes both Aria and sforzando. The two are very similar, except Aria is 16 channels, and I think you have to purchase a Garritan library to get it. They have sales now and then where you can get them for under a hundred dollars. It is worth it, since Aria loads sfz files, and is 16 channels. sforzando is only single-instance.

Thank you very much to GMaq for his encouragement and wonderful manual and video. I couldn't have done it without you!