How to route a MIDI arpeggiator?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

TramBust

How to route a MIDI arpeggiator?

Post by TramBust »

Hi all
I just installed an arpeggiator ( https://github.com/moddevices/mod-arpeggiator-lv2 ), but I can't figure out how to route MIDI in MusE so that the output of the arpeggiator is directed to a synth.
Could anyone help me? Thanks
spamatica
Established Member

Re: How to route a MIDI arpeggiator?

Post by spamatica »

Hi there!

Currently MusE only supports audio plugins, no midi plugins, so you need to find another way to achieve this.

My own knowledge of arpeggiators are limited but I know there is a standalone one called QMidiArp that can be used 'before' MusE so to speak. Routing your midi through QMidiArp and then into MusE.
Or, conversely, you could run midi from MusE out to QMidiArp and then back into MusE.
MusE DAW
TramBust

Post by TramBust »

Thanks.
I would have preferred to have it all routed internally, but I think I'll use an external LV2 host (maybe Carla) and then route that MIDI output to MusE so that I can write the notes there while listening to the synth.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

TramBust wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi all
I just installed an arpeggiator ( https://github.com/moddevices/mod-arpeggiator-lv2 ), but I can't figure out how to route MIDI in MusE so that the output of the arpeggiator is directed to a synth.
Could anyone help me? Thanks

Better late than never. If you haven't yet figured it out:

If you use the Carla plugin in MusE, you can load the arpeggiator in Carla (works with both LibreArp and Stochas).

You'll need two midi tracks, a Carla "synth" track, and a track for the synth you want to drive.
The first midi track should be set to output to Carla.The input of the second midi track should be set to Carla's midi out, and its output should go to your synth. Seems to work fine..

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

By the way, I was using the vst3 versions of LibreArp and Stochas, necessitating Carla anyway, but LibreArp also has an lv2 version. Alas, while I can make all the same midi connections as with the Carla plugin, somehow MusE doesn't grab LibreArp's midi output.

Edit: Well, seems MusE only grabs the midi from Carla vst, not from Carla lv2. Is this a bug? I'll ask in a new thread.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi. I have some good-ish news on this issue in the newer thread:
viewtopic.php?p=154422#p154422