[Solved]Cakewalk v-studio 100 on linux

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Re: [Solved]Cakewalk v-studio 100 on linux

Post by AlbertoZ »

One month later: the battle continues :D
For the curious, follow the entire story here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217084

For @admins, @khz , @MattKingUSA : wouldn't it be better to move this entire thread under "Computer Related Hardware"? (and I would remove "Solved" from the title...)

Regards,

Alberto

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Ok, now it is finally SOLVED. The issue was a regression in the kernel, caused by a strict adherence to USB 2.0 format in the snd_usb_audio module code, while the VS-100 deviates a bit. As Takashi Iway, (developer/maintainer of the ALSA sound system) writes:

It's been reported that the recent kernel can't probe the PCM devices on Roland VS-100 properly, and it turned out to be a regression by the
recent addition of the bit shift range check for the format bits. In the old code, we just did bit-shift and it resulted in zero, which is then corrected to the standard PCM format, while the new code explicitly returns an error in such a case. For addressing the regression, relax the check and fallback to the standard PCM type (with the info output).

The fix will be included in 6.3-rc5 kernel, then it'll be backported to stable trees (which I guess is 5.4.x and 5.15.x).

I promise that I'll not spam you guys anymore with this topic :D (but at least I learned many things out of this story).

Alberto

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I didn't think it was spam at all. The best way to report an ALSA bug is on the kernel Bugzilla?

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

merlyn wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:24 pm

The best way to report an ALSA bug is on the kernel Bugzilla?

Hi merlyn, in my case I was pretty sure it was a kernel bug, and posting on bugzilla kernel triggered most of the actions. At the end posting on the alsa-user mailing list was efficient as well, because sooner or later the developers look at it. alsa-devel mailing list is more crowded, and maybe it's another good place to gather information.

Alberto

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

AlbertoZ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:02 pm

[...]
I promise that I'll not spam you guys anymore with this topic :D (but at least I learned many things out of this story).
[...]

You can spam me anytime with solutions to problems! :wink: Glad it all worked out just fine. :)

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

@AlbertoZ Thanks for doing this. Working with Takeshi Iwai you have made Linux audio better for everyone.

othmay
Established Member

Post by othmay »

Hi Everyone,

OP here, I came back, because of job related events made me jumped out of this issue and I was using old kernel anyway . But I came back because of a new install , I am facing it again.
And then I saw what happened in between.
Congratulations AlbertoZ and sorry for not coming back to you when you asked. I was stuck at how to contact alsa dev, I am a dev myself (simple web app though) and my apps got the best of me regarding this problem I simply dropped it but boy oh boy, if there is a fix now I will happily use the latest kernel.
I really came back here without much hope, I was wrong, you are a boss, thank you and everyone that put time and efforts in this thread.

I will stick around if need be but I am so glad you guys are great.

One love.

edit : we gotta love this vs-100, still my main everyday sound card

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Hi @othmay, glad you're back, I read the full thread carefully prior to go on with the recent facts, so you already did a lot of work on the subject.
I didn't do much by myself except helping the real "insiders", i.e. the alsa developers, with an HW that they do not own. And yes, it turned out that it was a simple "offending" line of code in the snd_usb_audio module that caused the regression! Glad we can have back our gear on recent kernels (even if I don't know exactly when it will be backported to stable kernels). I'm pretty sure also the VS-20 will benefit from this.
All the best,
Alberto