Facebook and instagram, good for publicity?

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bulevardi
Established Member

Re: Facebook and instagram, good for publicity?

Post by bulevardi »

I personally think it's still important not only to promote your music via social, but also the Linux part of the process.
To make the world aware that music is not only made by Windows/Mac users with expensive DAW's and such.
There's a lot of pro stuff for Linux, with endless creative possibilities. The last 5-10 years there's been a great evolution of what is available.
Show people how it's done. Make tutorials, post gear and screenshots from your DAW, homerecording stuff, etc...

Post more with #linuxmusician #opensourcemusic and such.

We should also bundle more Linux made music via Spotify playlists that contain Linux made music only.

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

bulevardi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:11 pm

I personally think it's still important not only to promote your music via social, but also the Linux part of the process.
To make the world aware that music is not only made by Windows/Mac users with expensive DAW's and such.
There's a lot of pro stuff for Linux, with endless creative possibilities. The last 5-10 years there's been a great evolution of what is available.
Show people how it's done. Make tutorials, post gear and screenshots from your DAW, homerecording stuff, etc...

Post more with #linuxmusician #opensourcemusic and such.

We should also bundle more Linux made music via Spotify playlists that contain Linux made music only.

How it's made is only of interest to people who also make music. It's good to have social media promoting software but it's of no interest to most people who just enjoy listening to music. A "linux made music only" spotify playlist is meaningless. Good music is good music however it is made.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

bulevardi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:11 pm

I think someone has such list, but from spotify can't find it. Earlier I could see on what playlists there is my music, but not anymore?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Largos wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:37 pm

How it's made is only of interest to people who also make music. It's good to have social media promoting software but it's of no interest to most people who just enjoy listening to music. A "linux made music only" spotify playlist is meaningless. Good music is good music however it is made.

The average listener doesn't care, they just "hear" music. They don't care if it's played in E minor, or recorded with DAW x. That's true. Of course you can't hear that.

But the people who create music, and there are a LOT of them, certainly homerecording has boomed a lot since the pandemic.
Those creative people mostly know about Windows or Mac. Most of my real life friends, colleagues at work etc... have NEVER heard about Linux before.
"What you talking about? Speaking Chinese?"
There's lots of young creatives, students etc.. looking for affordable solutions for their hobby, they maybe never thought about open source solutions... they think 'freeware' is rubbish, it's still a myth for many.
If more people get aware about what's possible with Linux, it would accelerate the development, more users, more feedback, more presets made and shared, more ideas.

Good music will be discovered, no matter how it's made, but if they discover it and read more about the artist, about how the artist made it, or in what playlist it was found, they will stumble upon words like 'linux', and they'll search for more info about that... Linux stuff will get more to the top in the algorithms, it will be more visible and more people will get aware of it.

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^