SA_BOTAGE

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

Re: SA_BOTAGE

Post by skei »

thanks for testing and reporting!
i have a hunch about where the problems might be, or at least, i know a few areas inside the plugin that might cause issues.. i am right in the middle of a code redesign now, to better split up and "compartmentalize" different parts and functionality.. at the moment it's a bit too much spaghetti code.. i hope to have a more stable test available soon..
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

LAM wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:59 pm
skei wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:29 pm there are other plugins i want to do too.. sa_dist, sa_tanist, sa_mantha.. :-D
These names sound great. :lol:
sa_crebleu
Criss

Post by Criss »

I don't know about programming and how far this is possible, but the airwindows zfilters would be nice in this plugin too as fx.
SmoothMountain
Established Member

Post by SmoothMountain »

Greetings Skei;

This is PMan from the Reaper forums :D

I like the SA_Boteur idea! A relative of SA_Botage that focuses on MIDI automation would be awesome. I would surely use it!

I like your GUI as well. Look at FIRComp, or any of the newer Audio Damage GUIs. They are all flat vectors. Looks good to me!
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

yeah, i'm thinking two related plugins.. i want to keep the current one focused on probabilities and randomness.. and then i can make a modified version, where i replace the probabilities and random stuff with midi control.. at the moment, i'm reworking the (host) sync and timing.. again.. and also coming up with a scheme for having multiple effects (filters, lofi, comb, am/rm, delay, reverb, etc) with probabilities, without things getting out of hand and becoming a big mess.. :-) ..

- tor-helge
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

as mentioned earlier, i had to redo the host-sync and timing stuff a bit.. and while doing that, i got a bit distracted, and made a simple debug panel widget, where i can attach watches/variables, and have it update and shown in real/run-time.. makes it very easy to see if internal state is what you expect, and it immediately made a few problematic areas visible, that i quickly fixed.. and now the timing is (as far as i know) all good.. so, there will be a new and updated version in a few days..

and, another nice thing, is that i can reuse this debug panel later.. i think i might add a secondary debug window to the plugin framework itself, that opens with a "secret" key/click combo in debug mode, and shows this watch panel, plus a few other debug related things..

- tor-helge
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i had to finish and mix an album, so things took a little longer than i hoped, but SA_BOTAGE is improving steadily.. the two main thing that's left now, are the effects, and beat/slice offset (rearranging).. trying out a few ways to keep it both simple and flexible. and also experimenting with what sort of effects would be most useful..

i fixed a lot of small issues and bugs, and i also found a minor bug with the cairo graphics layer that needs some more investigation.. for some reason, the third (or later) time i close and open the editor, it comes up blank.. some house-keeping or variable initialization issues, i guess.. xlib (xcb) version works as intended..

i also did another quick video, where i were mostly testing the probabilities.. don't expect anything musically interesting.. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PP21FXOyaw

i'll post a binary in a couiple of days.. but if you can't wait, you can always compile it yourself from source code (see earlier posts for github link)

and finally.. i think ithe name of the plugin itself will be BOTAGE, with the prefix SA (short for skei.audio).. :-) and i will use that kind of naming scheme for all (most) future plugins..

- tor-helge
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i just compiled and uploaded a new binary.

sa_botage_v0.0.8,zip (231kb)

let me know if there's any problems, if it works or not (and if so, what distro, daw, etc), etc..
also, ideas and suggestions are always appreciated..

- tor-helge
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

..and a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAoveJosQl4

showing the new feature: slice offset
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

very rough, preliminary info/documantation:

https://torhelgeskei.com/plugins/sa_botage/

this needs to be massively improved, of course, but it will have to do for now, until the plugin is closer to 'final'..
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

looks and sounds freakin awesome, looking forward to an lv2, drop into #lad and #lv2 on libera.chat if you're having troubles with that!

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

milkii wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 pm looks and sounds freakin awesome, looking forward to an lv2, drop into #lad and #lv2 on libera.chat if you're having troubles with that!
Thanks!
Regarding LV2, at the moment I already have a basic version without GUI working, but I'm not really a fan of LV2, so I don't know how much effort I'm interested in spending on it, or when. If there were some usable documentation available, I would maybe had more motivation. VST3 took just a few days to implement, and VST2 is coming back soon too. (And, I'm also experimenting a little with this)

- Tor-Helge

BTW, I just started to experiment with some effects:

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Might you have thought about using a system like DPF to produce an LV2 varient? Did you get in on the official vst2sdk license or will you using a free alternative? What about the docs as they stand are not good or otherwise lacking? I'm no copywriter or dev, but I stuck a bunch of links on the GH wiki, which is unofficial really, if you haven't seen those already.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

milkii wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:12 pm Might you have thought about using a system like DPF to produce an LV2 varient? Did you get in on the official vst2sdk license or will you using a free alternative? What about the docs as they stand are not good or otherwise lacking? I'm no copywriter or dev, but I stuck a bunch of links on the GH wiki, which is unofficial really, if you haven't seen those already.
no, i'm not going to use other frameworks, like dpf or juce or anything.. i have my reasons for making my own toolkit..

i don't have a vst2 license.. but with my own framework/toolkit, i can use either the steinberg sdk, vestige, or fst (possibly with some features not working properly).. i do have a vst3 license, but i use my own, minimized (single .h file) derivation, not the official sdk..

and no, none of the lv2 docs/tutorials i've seen have been of much help.. (i have to admit that i haven't dived very deep into it)..

it would be nice to have full support for lv2, but some parts of my framework/toolkit is a bit peculiar (or weird?), and if lv2 doesn't fit into that, i'm just not going to do it.. lv2 is not that important to me, sorry..
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

skei wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:30 pm some parts of my framework/toolkit is a bit peculiar (or weird?)
sounds cool, what like? :)

lv2 is extensible, so possibility it might. if i might ask, what specific parts of the docs might you like to see improvement in? the feedback would help by teaching and inspiring to teach, though irc and the list are the main ports of call. what titles of articles on the subject might you like to read? imho, the semantic data types and atoms are curious things. justin frankel said lv2 saw xkcd 927 and said "hold my beer!". hosts have adopted neat non-core extensions other hosts have invented, kinda like the indieweb scene, and see omk as an example of going further.